ESPNs David Hale doesn't hold back his opinion on Syracuse Football | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ESPNs David Hale doesn't hold back his opinion on Syracuse Football

I read that Virginia played 2020 season with no fans too.

Hope that SU applied for those government PPP payments and those applicable to athletics got those $ back in their budget.
Weren’t eligible for PPP

Virginia allowed vewry limited attendance the second half of their season. Definitely allowed players families to attend, but I believe attendance would have been under 1000.
I just got that from reading Bronco Mendenhall’s wiki page “

2020 season​

The COVID-19 pandemic cast a pall over the season, and the ACC teams played mostly only each other with FCS program Abilene Christian being a late addition for UVA.[22] Fans were not allowed at any Virginia home games.[22] The team finished 5–5 and declined to participate in a bowl game.”

My bad if it’s wrong.

Weren’t eligible for PPP
Wonder why since they are university employees that were kept and I know that other nonprofits were able to get it.

No. Syracuse and Duke (by choice) were the only two ACC schools to play with no fans the entire season. And the NYS testing and screening protocols were much more strict than any other state with ACC teams. In fact those testing protocols and vaccine verification requirements also impacted 2021. As stated above the player testing alone was well into the high seven figures and while the general University bore a portion of that cost, the additional testing required by the conference and in response to player concerns - IIRC correctly three times a week - fell on athletics.

In terms of on field impacts every school dealt with opt outs and spring practice disruption, but not complete cancellation of spring ball, two new coordinators that installed completely different systems largely via Zoom meetings, and practices restricted to no more than 10 player pods until two weeks before their opener.

No P5 program was impacted by Covid as significantly as Syracuse and it’s not close.

People forget these details. I remember we switched players’ positions just to meet the minimum number of players needed to play. Most people have forgotten there were minimums need to play. A total number of players and a minimum at each position to qualify to play safely which is why Rhino played defensive line and offensive guard in addition to his fullback position. Coaches and players were sick or quarantined off and on throughout the season. Didn’t one coach move his family out of the area so his kids could go to school?

We were fortunate to just play and all people seem to remember is we went 1-10. Correct 1-10 with half a team. Sometimes I almost wish we hadn’t played at all because the fallout from that season has been toxic. There are similarities between now and then. All people will remember is we lost to BC. The fact that we played without our QB1 and a starting safety will be dismissed or forgotten.

I just got that from reading Bronco Mendenhall’s wiki page “

2020 season​

The COVID-19 pandemic cast a pall over the season, and the ACC teams played mostly only each other with FCS program Abilene Christian being a late addition for UVA.[22] Fans were not allowed at any Virginia home games.[22] The team finished 5–5 and declined to participate in a bowl game.”

My bad if it’s wrong.
Looked at the box scores on espn.com and they do list attendance for the last games, 250 for the BC game. So negligible but more than the zero we had

Yeah

I believe Hales an alum, and he has been pretty supportive over the years

Wonder if he has made any NIL donations
I think Hale went to Boston University

He’s not wrong. Until the university decides to truly invest in the program anyone will be hard pressed to consistently win six games. Wildhack has made some progress, but the kinds of things we’re investing in or increasing now are things other teams did 5-10 years ago.
No, he is not wrong. You are correct. As much as I hate it, the fact is that NIL and the SEC and BT now backed to the hilt by multi-billion dollar companies to destroy any conference they want to pillage means that a program that cannot pay up to fund NIL and weep paid staffs is in serious trouble just to survive with any chance to win 6 games.

If Syracuse were surrounded by the kinds of top recruits that are all over FL and G and TX, then it would not be nearly so ominous. You'd have multiple top ranked guys each year from the broader Syracuse area who would like to play near home. But the opposite is true.

SU has 1.7-1.9 billion dollar endowment, idc who says what, that place has plenty of cash around if they really cared to have a good football program. They obviously do not.
Yeah I hear ya but if you saw that very point was brought up elsewhere and apparently it’s an understood university bozo no no to do such a move as much as we’d like to see it. Supposedly Bad for the academic/business rep.

Kinda like the image deal they wanna keep up with showing the door to the billionaire guy who didn’t fit the profile image they wanted to where now that they’re asking for $ from everyone else. Cue the brilliant meme!

SU has 1.7-1.9 billion dollar endowment, idc who says what, that place has plenty of cash around if they really cared to have a good football program. They obviously do not.
Once again, let's clear that up. They can't, and no sane person would, spend endowment money on football.
That has nothing to do with caring about football. Could and should they do more, I would guess so. But not with that money.

Yeah I hear ya but if you saw that very point was brought up elsewhere and apparently it’s an understood university bozo no no to do such a move as much as we’d like to see it. Supposedly Bad for the academic/business rep.

Kinda like the image deal they wanna keep up with showing the door to the billionaire guy who didn’t fit the profile image they wanted to where now that they’re asking for $ from everyone else. Cue the brilliant meme!
That money can't be touched from what I have heard.

I would be interested to understand better how the funds from the ACC we get each year are handled though. Is anyone able to share how the mechanics of those dollars work within Syracuse?

I plead ignorance... what does the endowment do? For lack of a better way to phrase that question.

Often it depends on what the donor wants it earmarked for. It might be for research, academic projects, professor salaries, upgrades to a specific school, etc.

I plead ignorance... what does the endowment do? For lack of a better way to phrase that question.

University endowments (and all endowments) have a specific legal structure that is intended to indefinitely perpetuate a pool of investments for a specific purpose. Typically, endowment funds follow a fairly strict set of long-term guidelines that dictate the asset allocation that will yield the targeted return without taking on too much risk.
Some endowment funds have guidelines stating how much of each year's investment income can be spent. For many universities, this amount is approximately 5% of the endowment's total asset value.

Often it depends on what the donor wants it earmarked for. It might be for research, academic projects, professor salaries, upgrades to a specific school, etc.

University endowments (and all endowments) have a specific legal structure that is intended to indefinitely perpetuate a pool of investments for a specific purpose. Typically, endowment funds follow a fairly strict set of long-term guidelines that dictate the asset allocation that will yield the targeted return without taking on too much risk.
Some endowment funds have guidelines stating how much of each year's investment income can be spent. For many universities, this amount is approximately 5% of the endowment's total asset value.
Thanks!