Everything was absolutely great but... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Everything was absolutely great but...

blue helmet, orange jersey, blue pants is the best home color combination Syracuse has ever had. Anybody who debates this is a weirdo in my book. I never liked the idea of blue jerseys.

As for the style of the uniform, that's certainly up for debate. I'm not a big fan of the shoulder/sleeve design and the diagonal stripes on the numbers, but it's not the worst thing out there. A border around the numbers would be out of place nowadays. Not many modern jersey designs have number borders anymore.

Edit: More jerseys have number outlines than I originally thought. That said, most have white numbers. I'd be good with white numbers with a blue outline on an orange jersey.

blue helmet, orange jersey, blue pants is the best home color combination Syracuse has ever had. Anybody who debates this is a weirdo in my book. I never liked the idea of blue jerseys.

As for the style of the uniform, that's certainly up for debate. I'm not a big fan of the shoulder/sleeve design and the diagonal stripes on the numbers, but it's not the worst thing out there. A border around the numbers would be out of place nowadays. Not many modern jersey designs have number borders anymore.
Give me Giants style chromatic blue but a tad darker, chromatic S not cheap looking sticker, and white trim on numbers and I'm fine with it...

Everything was absolutely great but... then someone started a uniform thread.

I'm hoping to read some threads this week on what people would like to see if there's any new conference realignment in the future.

Bring these back in a couple years and the players will think they are cool - so different!

mcnabb_college.jpg
Please no. Keep it in the past. Cleveland Brown helmets are meh as well as those outlined numbers. Nassib era was fine but still not very interesting. And with these comments... I'm done forever with my uniform editorials.

sufandu said:
Ok. Other schools have designs that appeal to teenagers too. I like theirs more. I wish ours looked like theirs and I'm jealous.

Fair enough.

I thought the uniforms were great. We were orange! Im sure the kids love this modern look and if you look at modern athletic attire thhat most teenagers and people in their early twenties will wear, this is a similar style. We need to move away from the past anyway. Keep the uniforms fresh, but I'm sure it won't be the first time we see this thread this year.

Brooky03 said:
blue helmet, orange jersey, blue pants is the best home color combination Syracuse has ever had. Anybody who debates this is a weirdo in my book. I never liked the idea of blue jerseys. As for the style of the uniform, that's certainly up for debate. I'm not a big fan of the shoulder/sleeve design and the diagonal stripes on the numbers, but it's not the worst thing out there. A border around the numbers would be out of place nowadays. Not many modern jersey designs have number borders anymore. Edit: More jerseys have number outlines than I originally thought. That said, most have white numbers. I'd be good with white numbers with a blue outline on an orange jersey.

Horrible color combo. That's the uva unit we wore last night. Helmet, jersey, pants. Orange, blue, orange at home. Orange, white, orange on the road. That's it. Ok with one game being a one off like all orange.

with friday being an orange out will they actually go with the all orange look or the normal home look with orange,blue and orange

If recruits like them and the players wearing them win games, they can wear pink tutu's for all I care. But the numbers are indeed hideous.
It's a load a poo when someone writes 'recruits like them'. Every team has recruits. From Charlotte to Alabama. Uni's have nothing to do with getting better recruits than other schools.
And Having funky new uniforms don't make you win more games. Winning does. Ask Alabama or Penn State recruits about their uniforms. 17 yr old kids like new without any connection to winning or long term tradition.
Fans matter more than a kid who gets their uniforms for free. We have students at the game wearing basketball uniforms not their new fancy funky football jerseys. That alone should tell you something.

It's a load a poo when someone writes 'recruits like them'. Every team has recruits. From Charlotte to Alabama. Uni's have nothing to do with getting better recruits than other schools.
And Having funky new uniforms don't make you win more games. Winning does. Ask Alabama or Penn State recruits about their uniforms. 17 yr old kids like new without any connection to winning or long term tradition.
Fans matter more than a kid who gets their uniforms for free. We have students at the game wearing basketball uniforms not their new fancy funky football jerseys. That alone should tell you something.
HAHAHAHAHA

Uniforms are for the players, not the fans. If you don't like them, no one is forcing you to buy them.

HAHAHAHAHA

Uniforms are for the players, not the fans. If you don't like them, no one is forcing you to buy them.
I don't buy them but I do look at them. Uniforms are part of the pageantry and the spectacle of football. They do matter to the fans - and it's the fans who foot the bill for the programs when all is said and done.

HAHAHAHAHA

The main reason that these teams and programs wear all of these different uniforms, is so the fan will go out and buy them.

The main reason that these teams and programs wear all of these different uniforms, is so the fan will go out and buy them.
That's great but none of ours are for sale.

Bring these back in a couple years and the players will think they are cool - so different!

mcnabb_college.jpg
These.
And while we're at it...ditch that dorky "S" on the helmet as well!!!

Mine wears all platinum unless it is school spirit day when she has to wear the school color which is blue, but I try to sneak a piece of duct tape in here and there on those days.

1) Do recruits decide to come to a school, (or not to go there) because of the uniforms?

2) Do fans decide to go to the games (or not go to the games) because of the uniforms.

I suspect the answer is "no" and "no".

The uniforms are part of the appeal of the game. There are there because somebody decided they looked good. It's OK for fans to have opinions on that subject.

I like the notion that when players go to a school, they are becoming part of something that has a history to it they would like to be part of and uniforms can symbolize that. Teams that constantly change their look leave the impression of searching for an identity.

OrangeAl said:
I don't buy them but I do look at them. Uniforms are part of the pageantry and the spectacle of football. They do matter to the fans - and it's the fans who foot the bill for the programs when all is said and done.

"They matter to the fans" is not the same as "they are for the fans."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom