Exacerbators of Low Ticket Sales | Syracusefan.com

Exacerbators of Low Ticket Sales

Xanadu

2nd String
All,

I have been a lurker for the past few years. Finally am in town long enough this season for season tickets with the wife. I'll cut to the chase.

Ticket prices: great job getting ticket prices to $125 in the end zone and creating a pricing option for recent alums (my wife and I are one set of ten people that took advantage of the $99 seasons!). The rest of the prices in the Dome are disgusting and there needs to be a tiered system with four price points available to everyone(lower 20s, lower corners and end zones, and same for the upper). I cringed buying $35 tickets for my paremts to sit in the upper 300s corners (great view) since the product doesn't demand it (more to follow). The donation system only holds us back by placing all the power in the hands of a few so as not to hurt their ego. This has been discussed ad nauseum, we all get the gist.

Student tickets: Activity fee with students having to reserve at the beginning of the week. Start out with 5k, they'll pack the Dome if they don't have to waste beer and food money on tickets at the window. Half the student season ticket holders buy the tickets and never go anyways, trust me.

Pre-Game: my wife and I bring a lot friends from Fort Drum that went to large football schools and they pretty much laugh at SU's idea of a pre-season atmosphere. There are die hards that find it a poor attempt. The Quad is a great starting point, but they fumble the opportunity away with their "tailgate" for the high donors. The University should be making money selling food and alcohol prior to games on the Quad. Have a bunch of corn hole and ladder golf sets, advertise to vendors, and center up the pre-game radio show like they do. Turn it into an actual tailgate. What currently happens is that everyone that is not part of a large, dedicated, tailgate group (like Fine Lot) show up at kickoff or wander aimlessly trying to find stuff to do and are not very pumped for the start of the game. This is a huge issue because people go to games for the experience, not the football (us die hards are showing up no matter what).

The Band (music in general): the band is not very big (can't control that too much) but it doesn't do anything exciting. I hope the Colgate was just the band experiencing the pace of the offense for the first, but they did not keep the atmosphere lively at all. This, I surmise, is for a few reasons: new offensive tempo leading to uncertainty in when to play; SU's terrible attempts at using the video board for anything other than replays, on field actions, and silent ads (more to follow); crappy canned music play lists on an even worse sound system without the DJ controlling the flow of the system music (just let the band play if you're not going to have a DJ). Just a lackluster performance at keeping the crowd engaged (cheerleader section below). Look at the UT band in the ND game, they played every second there was a stoppage in the action.

Cheerleaders: move them around the Dome. The student section doesn't need to be continually motivated by pretty girls getting tossed in the air any more than everyone else. It seemed the fans were not engaged whatsoever during pauses in the action. In the age of smart phones, people need to have something to entertain them when play stops or else you lose them for that series. Hopefully we never see the Orange Sound Wave again, that was awful...

Ads / Video Board: Silent ads are fine, even quick engaging ads for local businesses are fine. However, those player videos were embarrassing for the players to shoot and immediately disengaged the crowd when they were played. No one can here that sound system, and no one (outside of the die hards really cares). Instead, the University should invest in pump up videos or clips of great plays in SU history when the band, cheerleaders, and dance team need a break. There should be a rehearsal with all of these groups the day before the game to make sure everyone understand the flow and their role in the creation of the EXPERIENCE. Successful football programs do this.

Pre-Game Advertising: Newhouse...it is embarrassing that SU does not advertise. Not locally, not regionally, not nationally, anything. People from Syracuse don't even know about the games or the excitement of a new era. The No Huddle at our accomplished little, I don't know for a fact but I am willing to bet, because the people that showed up were donors, alums, season ticket holders, or otherwise invested in the program. The turnout wasn't even that great from what I've heard. The University needs to engage the local populace. A good start with the Chiefs (zero advertising done on the that) and the Mets game ( actually heard about that before it happened). TV ads, radio ads, setting up in Destiny on a Friday night. These are places that people are. The people that don't know anything about the season because the University doesn't promote it. The people that should be purchasing the tickets for the seats we are always complaining about are empty.

Fort Drum: in the Army, we move every three or four years. Just like students, a great relationship can build a network that extends the brand across the nation. Alums and fans stationed there understood the reason the team only spent a day there. But it actually hurt not seeing the time run out with the 10th Mountain Division flag for the first time in years. We take pride in that relationship and many of the commanders and leaders there want to see it expand further, not retreat. There are over 30,000 people on Fort Drum alone. Many of those Soldiers and their families grew up with college football and are interested in going to SU games when I talk to them. However, there is no promotion of the team to let them know where, when, and how much. People do not just stumbled onto cuse.com. There needs to be some outreach. Fort Drum is just one example of the missed opportunities.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here. Maybe ADJW is still reading the forum and this helps spark something. I'm proud to be an Orange. I'm proud of the direction of the program. But the game day experience does not make casual fans, even some die hards, want to come back. Something needs to be done about it or the program is going to flounder when HCDB jumps ship or experiment fails because recruits don't want too play in front of 20k empty seats or the University cuts the budget because they aren't getting a return. You need to spend money to make money and there are creative people at the University that can help. This is meant to be a catch all on issues with the game day experience, so if you see something that frustrates you or something you really like throw it up here. Disagree with? I'm thick skinned.

Well put, thank you for your service.

This veteran agrees that Syracuse needs to build on the Fort Drum relationship. I would include all the military units in the general area, active, reserve and guard. Long term relationships are what builds lasting ties for the families, the next generation. No excuse for Syracuse not offering free tickets to the military units, especially when there are empty seats to be filled. Military personnel are under paid for 24/7/365 duty, giving them a free ticket when it wasn't going to get sold anyway, costs the university nothing and rewards the nation's defenders with a little entertainment and hopefully some good memories!

This veteran agrees that Syracuse needs to build on the Fort Drum relationship. I would include all the military units in the general area, active, reserve and guard. Long term relationships are what builds lasting ties for the families, the next generation. No excuse for Syracuse not offering free tickets to the military units, especially when there are empty seats to be filled. Military personnel are under paid for 24/7/365 duty, giving them a free ticket when it wasn't going to get sold anyway, costs the university nothing and rewards the nation's defenders with a little entertainment and hopefully some good memories!
There is a train line (the St Lawrence sub-division) that runs from the edge of Fort Drum (Evans Mills, Indian River) directly into Syracuse (just over 70 miles). It goes through Watertown, Pulaski, the Village of Liverpool, past Onondaga Lake and DestinyUSA and then could be routed to the former DL&W line that goes through downtown, and right up to the doorstep of the Fine Lot.

I wonder if it would be feasible to run a train to and from on gameday for Fort Drum personnel? I would think it would be pretty cheap to do and a great diversion for the service personnel and their families. Maybe Fort Drum and SU (or a sponsor) split or partially cover the expenses? Maybe the state gets involved?

That line is not heavily used (and I believe it is only used for freight).

That would be awesome.

Last edited:
There is a train line that runs from the edge of Fort Drum (Evans Mills, Indian River) directly into Syracuse. It goes through Pulaski, the Village of Liverpool, past Onondaga Lake and DestinyUSA and then could be routed on the tracks that go through downtown, and right up to the doorstep of the Fine Lot.

I wonder if it would be feasible to run a train to and from on gameday for Fort Drum personnel? I would think it would be pretty cheap to do and a great diversion for the service personnel and their families. Maybe Fort Drum and SU (or a sponsor) split or partially cover the expenses? Maybe the state gets involved?

That would be awesome.

It would be cheaper and much more feasible to run multiple buses to/from Drum than it would be to monkey with CSX over a freight rail line. In my dealings with them in the past it is easier to see an act of God than it is to get CSX to do something.

http://www.cuse.com/military_ticket_request.aspx
Syracuse University Athletics Military Appreciation Program is expanding for the 2016 Football season. The Military Pass provides all active military and veterans the opportunity to receive complimentary tickets to a game each month; Two (2) for USF on Sept. 17th, Two (2) for Virginia Tech on Oct. 15th and Four (4) for NC State on Nov. 12th. Please register online (www.cuse.com/military). The tickets are available in a reserved area with very limited seating on a first-come, first-served basis. The deadline to order tickets is 5 days prior to each game. Please read the FAQ List as to how you will receive your tickets.

If you are unable to sign up for the Military Pass due to the limited seating and or deadline, you will have the opportunity on game day only to purchase discounted upper level corner/end zone seats for $10 each (limit of 4) to any of our 6 homes games in the Carrier Dome, as available. Must present Military ID to receive the discount. Please read the FAQ List as these $10 seats will not be seated with the complimentary tickets.

Football:

1.) Verify your Troop ID by clicking the Verify with Troop ID button above.
2.) Complete and submit Syracuse University Military Pass application online. Request ONLY two (2) complimentary tickets for each game (up to 4 for NC State). Tickets will not be available for purchase near your complimentary tickets (this is a limited and reserved area only).
3.) Two tickets will be emailed prior to the game (up to 4 for NC State). Present military ID upon entrance with your printed E-tickets. Show a photo ID at the dedicated window at the Carrier Dome Box Office Gate B (inside the Carrier Dome) with your ticket. For additional information or questions about the Syracuse Athletics Military Pass, please review the FAQ List.

To request tickets for USF on Sept. 17th 2016 the deadline is Sept. 12th, 2016

To request tickets for Virginia Tech on Oct. 15th 2016 the deadline is Oct. 10th 2016

To request tickets for NC State on Nov. 12th 2016, the deadline is Nov. 7th, 2016

It would be cheaper and much more feasible to run multiple buses to/from Drum than it would be to monkey with CSX over a freight rail line. In my dealings with them in the past it is easier to see an act of God than it is to get CSX to do something.
Maybe. Politicians might need to get involved. When the military is involved, sometimes things happen faster than you might think. It would be easier if Fort Drum is a big customer for CSX. Not sure if that is the case. I know they use CSX at least occasionally.

Here is a description of the traffic on the line in question, as of 2003:

Current traffic consists of CSXT/CN overhead freight service from Rail Corridor Inventory Montreal to Selkirk twice daily, with two locals to Watertown, and two locals to Woodard, servicing customers in the Liverpool and Woodard Industrial Park vicinity. This line also carries one local per day leaving the Montreal line at Woodard and proceeding up the Fulton Subdivision.

http://www.smtcmpo.org/docs/reports/RailFinalReport2003-04.pdf

It would not be a big imposition on CSX.

And here is a map of the rail line in question:

Railroad.png

Great post Xanadu. One point that really hit home with the wife and I is entertainment during the dead time. That is our biggest barrier to going to the games. Games are now routinely 4 hours and hopefully SU can come up with something creative to keep the fans engaged. I get bored out of my brains during the tv timeouts. Used to be a hockey season ticket holder and although the in-period to's are much shorter, the Crunch would have something to entertain during dead times.

Great post, hopefully someone within the program/university sees this and gets it into the right hands. The soldiers at Fort Drum should receive a bunch of free tickets now and then discounted tickets when we are winning. I'm sure they will buy plenty of dome foams.

Pre-game is the biggest sticking point for me. For some reason, basketball never feels like it needs any pre-game activities (warm weather or not), but the football experience seems a little empty without it.

Was pre-game much/any better back when we didn't suck?

Pre-game is the biggest sticking point for me. For some reason, basketball never feels like it needs any pre-game activities (warm weather or not), but the football experience seems a little empty without it.

I don't recall any substantive changes since I started going in 1987. I guess people didn't need as much entertaining back then. It was a simpler time. To be fair to today's fans, the games weren't as long then.

the 60's was a great time. sororities and fraternities often had large hand made colorful signs hung and live bands on some of the porches AFTER the big games. dorms also hung signs out. BUT THEN AGAIN I MAYBE ROMANTICIZING THE ERA. walnut and comstock park were packed with people

What was better was that there was at least an additional 10-15K fans on the Hill before every game, which led to more tailgating, etc. But during the 90s the university did next to nothing in terms of facilitating pre-game stuff.

Given our parking situation I would love to see SU line the walkway from Schine to the Quad with food trucks and tents. I have zero idea what the food truck scene is like in Syracuse, but if you could lure a dozen or so along with allowing another dozen restaurants set-up tents it could really create a fun, festival atmosphere within steps of the Dome.

I agree. As a retired AF officer and season ticket holder, I feel there should be a military discount for all sections for anyone with an active duty ID. Home Depot and Lowes do it. :confused:

I agree. As a retired AF officer and season ticket holder, I feel there should be a military discount for all sections for anyone with an active duty ID. Home Depot and Lowes do it. :confused:
and service connected vets

What was better was that there was at least an additional 10-15K fans on the Hill before every game, which led to more tailgating, etc. But during the 90s the university did next to nothing in terms of facilitating pre-game stuff.

Given our parking situation I would love to see SU line the walkway from Schine to the Quad with food trucks and tents. I have zero idea what the food truck scene is like in Syracuse, but if you could lure a dozen or so along with allowing another dozen restaurants set-up tents it could really create a fun, festival atmosphere within steps of the Dome.

There was a lot more open space. Remember being a freshman in Sadler and it was an open gravel lot across the street with a younger Bees and crew rocking the Zubas and tailgaiting. Same with University Avenue, it's all filled in now.

Syracuse has awesome local food and drink. Agreed if they could get the foodtruck / beer tent thing going.

how many more students show up when free? Does it really make that much of a difference?

GoCuse08 said:
how many more students show up when free? Does it really make that much of a difference?

Only going by Colgate but I'd say 1-2,000. They not only filled all their sections but they filled an empty non student section also and parts of 2 others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom