Class of 2015 - F Tyler Lydon (NY) Verballed to Syracuse | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 F Tyler Lydon (NY) Verballed to Syracuse

Francis, does this close the door on Donte?

Not Francis, but no. Two different roles. Lydon is 6'8" right now and could grow. Another ball handler is needed behind Joseph (if Ennis jumps after this year or next).

I like Jones' game a lot but BJ Johnson seems like a very similar type player. Possibly because BJ has been impressive, the staff decided to go for Lydon who has a different game from BJ.

I like Jones' game a lot but BJ Johnson seems like a very similar type player. Possibly because BJ has been impressive, the staff decided to go for Lydon who has a different game from BJ.

BJ is a much better ball handler and shooter than Jones projects to be but I see your point and it makes good sense.

Francis, does this close the door on Donte?
Not Francis, but no. Two different roles. Lydon is 6'8" right now and could grow. Another ball handler is needed behind Joseph (if Ennis jumps after this year or next).
Like AWMKY said, different roles and positions so I doubt this eliminates any guards. This commitment most likely knocks D. Jones and Malachi out of the equation.

The best part about the guys he is compared to like Murphy, Anderson, Parsons, and Van Horn is that they were absolute beasts in college. I mean just elite college players, Parsons was very good but not elite. Lot's of excitement about this commit and I am so impressed with the staff and how they have been able to land recruits like this the past few years. What a great start to the '15 class.

Bryant is and has been number 1 on my wish list. Partly because he is a semi local product but he is also an absolute stud. So to quote Francis "Now lets close on Bryant and Diagne"

Talk about a great back line in the zone those 3 would be! Let's go 'Cuse!

This is going to be a lot:

ESPN/Finklestein

Junior Tyler Lydon (Pine Plains, N.Y./New Hampton) made an early verbal commitment to Syracuse on Thursday night, giving the Orange a jump start on their 2015 recruiting class.

The 6-foot-8 forward turned in a series of big performances during the summer evaluation period, first starring at the Reebok Breakout Classic and then picking up a plethora of offers thanks to his performance with the New England Playaz in Las Vegas.

Pos RkStarsGradeHometown
81Pine Plains, NY
Why he committed: While the timing of Lydon's announcement might seem early, the reality was that he already had earned his choice of high-major programs, with offers having come in from various national championship winners. The bottom line here is that Syracuse is almost impossible to beat for kids who grow up in upstate New York, and that's something we've seen time and time again in recent years with the likes of Brandon Triche, DaJuan Coleman, Chinonso Obokoh and others.

What he brings: Here's the most important part -- Lydon is just scratching the surface of his potential and was trending up as rapidly as almost any 2015 prospect on the East Coast. He's already a long and rangy athlete, but he actually might still be growing and certainly isn't anywhere close to maxing out his frame yet. He's very skilled on the perimeter, already capable of knocking down 3s and pull-ups alike and also a threat to score over smaller defenders from the mid-range area and in. He has a high basketball IQ and is a very good passer from either forward position. He's mobile for his size with a very active floor game that allows him to get his hands on a lot of balls, both defensively and coming off the glass.

How he fits: He fits the Syracuse prototype as the type of long, mobile athlete who will be ideally suited to play the wing in the 2-3 zone. Like most of Syracuse's forwards, he'll have no problem flourishing in transition, but he'll also offer some added offensive flexibility, especially when they're forced to play in the half-court, because of his skill, IQ and ability to create mismatches. Because the zone doesn't differentiate between the forward positions on each wing, Lydon is likely to be matched up against opposing three-men on most nights, making him a virtually impossible cover. Finally, because he projects as someone who will be capable of playing right away, he offers a terrific back-up plan should incoming ESPN 100 PF Chris McCullough pursue a one-and-done track, as some suspect.

How the class is shaping up: He's the first piece of the 2015 class, but his commitment sets a strong precedent given how strong his reputation was in the northeast region following the month of July. Furthermore, this is not only an example of Syracuse continuing to dominate its backyard in upstate New York, but it's also the second time in as many years the Orange have been able to make a major early score, after landing McCullough in his junior season last spring.

Who he reminds us of: He's a cross between guys like Troy Murphy, Ryan Anderson, and Rashard Lewis. Physically and offensively he might be best described as a blend of Anderson and Lewis, because of his skill set and still budding physical tools, but his developing toughness, ability to rebound the ball and willingness to cause match-up problems can all be reminiscent of the way in which Murphy used to operate.

I am no Francis. Not even close. But I love this kid's game and Pasqualoni-esque multipliness.

Congrats, Cusenation...we have landed the CAUCASIAN INVASION!

Wow what a surprise. I don't get online all day, and when I do I find we get a commitment out of the blue!

People may disagree but I think Lydon was a true need.

Guys like Grant, Roberson, and McCullough wont be here long, and having the cupboard full at the forward position is paramount.

It goes further than that though. 100% of Syracuse's best ever teams have two guys that have the ability to play power forward on the defensive end, and small forward on the offensive end. Lydon has the size and skill set to pull that off.

It goes even further though. 6'8 forwards who can shoot are incredibly difficult to defend because their height means they only need a sliver of space to get a clean look. Guys athletic enough to play the wing in our zone and skilled enough to shoot lights out are rare, but to me they are like gold - floor spacing gold - who make every other player on the team better by making it impossible for D's to double off them.

In general I'm a huge fan of any 6'8 forward who can shoot it, and specifically, I think Lydon is a huge get.

I was not a fan at all of Jone's game. I think he is way over ranked by the services and I will not be sad to see him go in another direction.

Diagne and Bryant are still options 1 and 1a. If we can nail down those two we are looking at an all time great class.

I'm good bro, thanks for asking. How's everything on your side?

Good up here, just waiting for the cuse football game this weekend. And really waiting for some bball to start. How's the weather down there???

Looks like he has some guard skills. Will he be a two or three for us? 6'8.5" would be pretty filthy at the top of the zone.

This one's a forward. He has nice athleticism, but I just don't see him at the top of the zone, especially when he's got 2 years to fill out. He doesn't look like he has the lateral quickness. Great looking stroke, though, and some pretty good offers. Four year program guy. I'll take him. Who was that stretch 4 that Florida had a couple years ago (seems like we played them for about 3 years in a row) Parson Chandler, or something like that? Or a Steve Novak type?

Kid reminds me of Keith Van Horn. Stretch four...,or wing. Athletic with a good frame.

I think this makes Bryant a more logical choice than Jones as an opposite forward.

Nice start to the class.

I agree, very nice player. We are at our best on offense when we have a forward who can hit reliably from 3.

Van Horn used to run the break exceptionally well. I'm not sure that Lydon showed that kind of speed, but he had a bunch of good offers, and as you said, this gets us off to a very good start for 2015. He's not going to scare away any top prospects, and he will likely be a 4 year program guy; our version of Steve Novak.

Looks like a good find. The clips showed a lot of dunks and outside shots from afar. I would like to see a close-up of an outside shot to check out his mechanics.

I agree, very nice player. We are at our best on offense when we have a forward who can hit reliably from 3.

Van Horn used to run the break exceptionally well. I'm not sure that Lydon showed that kind of speed, but he had a bunch of good offers, and as you said, this gets us off to a very good start for 2015. He's not going to scare away any top prospects, and he will likely be a 4 year program guy; our version of Steve Novak.

I just can't erase Van Horn's inability to jump from his Nets days, from my memory. And as a Knicks fan, I've seen Novak's jumping ability...

This kid is more of an athlete than those two.

Like AWMKY said, different roles and positions so I doubt this eliminates any guards. This commitment most likely knocks D. Jones and Malachi out of the equation.

Isn't Malachi really a 2 guard?

I just can't erase Van Horn's inability to jump from his Nets days, from my memory. And as a Knicks fan, I've seen Novak's jumping ability...

This kid is more of an athlete than those two.

You have to remember, it will be 2 years before he gets here. He's going to fill out some in the meantime. And personally, I didn't see superior athleticism in that highlights video. Maybe he's more athletic than Novak; one guy above compared him to Detlef Shrempf, which I think is a pretty nice comparison.

VERY happy to see Lydon commit. Seemed to come out of the blue too. I had to go back a page to see what people were talking about last night and wasn't expecting to see that he had committed to SU. I think this is a GREAT get for us. I've been dying for us to pick up some true snipers of the Shumpert, GMac, Rautins, Devo caliber to boost our 3-point shooting ever since Andy and Wes left. Granted he'll only be a freshman, but it could be huge to have multiple options from 3 in 2015-16 with a redshirt senior Cooney, a junior BJ, and now Lydon. Can't wait for the Orange to be raining 3s again!

I think he is definitely athletic enough, Van Horn, Novak, and Shrempf couldn't do an under \ the legs dunk in there dreams let alone in person. Kid played above the rim when he needed to, but he definitely needs to gain some weight, which he will. I think he will be a very nice player for us, for some reason when I watch him play I think of an old school Indiana ball player, kinda like a Butch Mcrae. Hopefully we didnt give up a brand new tractor for his services