F1 2022 Season | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

F1 2022 Season

Wow so good riddance to Paul Ricard. Crap circuit.

Just when you think Ferrari couldn't get any worse and that they've bottomed out they have a hold my beer moment. Charles is so good but man does he crack under pressure.

My guy Checo taking the whole race as a siesta opportunity

George to me is becoming insufferable. Fits perfectly with Merc

Check out the tidbit at 3:50:

I'd have loved to see His Holiness tooling around in his Ferrari.

Yea, I wouldn't be sad if we don't see another race there for a while.

I'm so frustrated with HAAS right now. I might have understood the risky strategy had KMag not made up 7 or 8 spots in the first two laps. Once Carlos got in front of him, he should have just tucked in behind him and tried to follow him to 7th or 8th. Finally some upgrades for next week, we'll see how that goes.

Also pretty frustrated with ESPN. I didn't feel like getting up for the 6am start, which was fine. I got up around 7:30 and threw on the replay of the pre race coverage. After an hour of that, I knew the race was over because the post race coverage was live on ESPN. The replay was on in spanish, but was the english version was not available for another hour or so. Completely shot my morning. I watched the replay until 11, which was about lap 40 and said the hell with it. The baby was ready for baby shows, and I was ready to get in the pool. I'll watch the rest later.
This happened a few races ago too, but every other week the replay is posted within 10 minutes of the race being over.

With both those frustrations, and coming off two pretty exciting grand prix weekends, this was my least favorite F1 Sunday since I've been following. On to next week!

Yea, I wouldn't be sad if we don't see another race there for a while.

I'm so frustrated with HAAS right now. I might have understood the risky strategy had KMag not made up 7 or 8 spots in the first two laps. Once Carlos got in front of him, he should have just tucked in behind him and tried to follow him to 7th or 8th. Finally some upgrades for next week, we'll see how that goes.

Also pretty frustrated with ESPN. I didn't feel like getting up for the 6am start, which was fine. I got up around 7:30 and threw on the replay of the pre race coverage. After an hour of that, I knew the race was over because the post race coverage was live on ESPN. The replay was on in spanish, but was the english version was not available for another hour or so. Completely shot my morning. I watched the replay until 11, which was about lap 40 and said the hell with it. The baby was ready for baby shows, and I was ready to get in the pool. I'll watch the rest later.
This happened a few races ago too, but every other week the replay is posted within 10 minutes of the race being over.

With both those frustrations, and coming off two pretty exciting grand prix weekends, this was my least favorite F1 Sunday since I've been following. On to next week!
I know it costs money but I highly recommend the F1 proTV subscription. I like the broadcast and even if you watch on ESPN you can follow the driver in car and telemetry if it suits you. I found the same thing with ESPN and wanted a little better on demand experience. It’s 80 bucks a year and probably the only pay app I use for sports that I think is better than just watching on TV.

Side.l note. Absolutely insane how good that Ferrari was yesterday. Insane that they didn’t score more points. Charles always pushes the limits at times when it doesn’t make a ton of sense. He needs a clean race and nothing else at that point.

I know it costs money but I highly recommend the F1 proTV subscription. I like the broadcast and even if you watch on ESPN you can follow the driver in car and telemetry if it suits you. I found the same thing with ESPN and wanted a little better on demand experience. It’s 80 bucks a year and probably the only pay app I use for sports that I think is better than just watching on TV.

Side.l note. Absolutely insane how good that Ferrari was yesterday. Insane that they didn’t score more points. Charles always pushes the limits at times when it doesn’t make a ton of sense. He needs a clean race and nothing else at that point.

About 5 times yesterday I said to myself "this is why I should have gotten the F1 subscription". I read about it at the start, and assumed I'd get it at some point, but since everything was already on espn I figured I'd wait a season and make sure I was actually 100% in to this. I should have pulled the trigger on week two.

My smart TV didn't seem to have the app available to download, so it might be a "hook the computer to the tv" situation, which isn't a big deal. I wonder if they'll have a midseason deal.

I had a house full of girls yesterday morning, which I think led to my lack of excitement in the race lol. Once they left to do some shopping, I fired the race back up on lap 38 where I had left off. Glad I did!

Agree that George was a bit whiney and annoying there.
Do virtual safety cars just end anywhere on the track that they want? How is that information communicated? Perez looked like he had no clue what was going on. I heard an interview where he mentioned he thought the start was going to be a few corners earlier, then wasn't prepared for the actual start? I know it takes a little more time man, but just use the start/finish line! lol

About 5 times yesterday I said to myself "this is why I should have gotten the F1 subscription". I read about it at the start, and assumed I'd get it at some point, but since everything was already on espn I figured I'd wait a season and make sure I was actually 100% in to this. I should have pulled the trigger on week two.

My smart TV didn't seem to have the app available to download, so it might be a "hook the computer to the tv" situation, which isn't a big deal. I wonder if they'll have a midseason deal.

I had a house full of girls yesterday morning, which I think led to my lack of excitement in the race lol. Once they left to do some shopping, I fired the race back up on lap 38 where I had left off. Glad I did!

Do virtual safety cars just end anywhere on the track that they want? How is that information communicated? Perez looked like he had no clue what was going on. I heard an interview where he mentioned he thought the start was going to be a few corners earlier, then wasn't prepared for the actual start? I know it takes a little more time man, but just use the start/finish line! lol
George Russell gets a pass from me. When I saw that bit of him on Drive to Survive where he actually told his Race Engineer, during a race, to prioritize his teammate… well, I don’t remember ever hearing that before in F1. When I first started watching F1 devoutly in 95-96, and wanted to choose a team to support, one of the things I fell for was a tv commentator’s characterization of David Coulthard as ‘a gentleman driver.’ I ‘adopted’ McLaren as my team right about then, and I guess I sorta have favored British drivers since, for much of that same peculiar rationale.

I have to look into that app. I was content to just watch ESPN broadcasts from the DVR (i‘m on Pacific Time), but I just moved to Mexico and don’t have a tv provider. Was relying on watching qualy and races on fullmatchsports, well after they’ve ended, and trying to avoid news of the results. No bueno. I just subscribed to MLB, and cant wait to get the NFL sub next month, so maybe I’ll add F1. Would be good if they had a discount after half the season or somesuch, like MLB.tv….

George Russell gets a pass from me. When I saw that bit of him on Drive to Survive where he actually told his Race Engineer, during a race, to prioritize his teammate… well, I don’t remember ever hearing that before in F1. When I first started watching F1 devoutly in 95-96, and wanted to choose a team to support, one of the things I fell for was a tv commentator’s characterization of David Coulthard as ‘a gentleman driver.’ I ‘adopted’ McLaren as my team right about then, and I guess I sorta have favored British drivers since, for much of that same peculiar rationale.

I have to look into that app. I was content to just watch ESPN broadcasts from the DVR (i‘m on Pacific Time), but I just moved to Mexico and don’t have a tv provider. Was relying on watching qualy and races on fullmatchsports, well after they’ve ended, and trying to avoid news of the results. No bueno. I just subscribed to MLB, and cant wait to get the NFL sub next month, so maybe I’ll add F1. Would be good if they had a discount after half the season or somesuch, like MLB.tv….
If you don't end up pulling the trigger on the F1 app, I can lend you my espn login info. There doesn't seem to be an issue with multiple folks watching at once. (Same login will also work for the NFL subscription)

I cover half of a friends MLB network, and we both share the login. I wonder if that would work for F1? I'd be down to go halvies.

I saw an interview with Perez that the VSC message goes out and is displayed on the steering wheel with a countdown timer, and that originally F1 sent out the wrong time, though they quickly corrected it and rebroadcast the right time. The drivers have to maintain a certain delta during the VSC, what Perez tried and failed at I think is to slow down and buy some time in the delta so that as its ending he can mash the accelerator and time it so he hits the top of the delta and has some speed right as the VSC ends. George didn't screw this up in the begining and was able to do that successfully while Perez had to start from slow speed due to him screwing up his delta and not being able to end it under some speed. Could be wrong but that's my understanding of what went down.

Also yes George comes off as a nice enough guy, just this year he stopped to check on Guanyu and sacrificed his ability to continue the race in the process because of it, but also don't forget him crashing out Bottas last year and instead of running over to check on him he ran over to wack him in the head, without even knowing if he was ok, for a crash he himself caused. So hes not always an angle.

If you don't end up pulling the trigger on the F1 app, I can lend you my espn login info. There doesn't seem to be an issue with multiple folks watching at once. (Same login will also work for the NFL subscription)

I cover half of a friends MLB network, and we both share the login. I wonder if that would work for F1? I'd be down to go halvies.
Hey—thanks for the offer. I would be wary. I have a lot going on here. Not just 'a friend logging on with the same ID.' I'm in another country, probably 3,000 miles from you, and i use a VPN and another geo-blocking service. That quantity of 'isp oddities' might trigger something and i wouldn't want you to lose access.

I saw an interview with Perez that the VSC message goes out and is displayed on the steering wheel with a countdown timer, and that originally F1 sent out the wrong time, though they quickly corrected it and rebroadcast the right time. The drivers have to maintain a certain delta during the VSC, what Perez tried and failed at I think is to slow down and buy some time in the delta so that as its ending he can mash the accelerator and time it so he hits the top of the delta and has some speed right as the VSC ends. George didn't screw this up in the begining and was able to do that successfully while Perez had to start from slow speed due to him screwing up his delta and not being able to end it under some speed. Could be wrong but that's my understanding of what went down.

Also yes George comes off as a nice enough guy, just this year he stopped to check on Guanyu and sacrificed his ability to continue the race in the process because of it, but also don't forget him crashing out Bottas last year and instead of running over to check on him he ran over to wack him in the head, without even knowing if he was ok, for a crash he himself caused. So hes not always an angle.
Restarts... uggh. It's amazing, how in a sport of such elevated technology and intelligence, we still have so many ambiguities in the rules and protocols. The way the tv presenters were discussing it, they made it seem as if George just outsmarted Perez, and that strategy of slowing early to make your delta restriction so that you could be fast at the actual restart—that sounded brilliant, and i wondered why i hadn't seen that before. If it was something else—miscommunication or timing issues with Perez or his equipment, well, that's sucky and stupid of F1A.

Kinda sad to see Seb go out while being an also-ran. He's become so likeable these days as a veteran after being such a dick during those dominant Red Bull days.

Which part of Mexico? My wife and I will be making the same move sometime in the next 5-10 years I imagine.

Knew he couldn't race forever but man it sucks, Seb has morphed into such an awesome guy. I'll cry if Alonso leave this year too.

Knew he couldn't race forever but man it sucks, Seb has morphed into such an awesome guy. I'll cry if Alonso leave this year too.
Seb is truly a great guy from what I can tell. Not sure about who he was in the past as I just started following over the last two years. Seems to just be a genuine guy who liked to race fast cars.

Which part of Mexico? My wife and I will be making the same move sometime in the next 5-10 years I imagine.
Baja Malibu/San Antonio del Mar—Just north of Rosarito. 15-20 minutes from the San Ysidro border toward San Diego.

I’m not going to miss Vettel. He may be okay off-track, but there were enough ridiculous antics on track for me to not like him at all.

Yea, I'm torn on Vettel. I really dig him off track, and have liked him on the track during the short time I've been following around, but I've heard a ton of stories. "Multi 21, Seb". Will be interesting to follow his post F1 career.

Who takes his seat?! There's a long list of up and comers that could jump in, but I feel like Stroll might not be the best role model/teammate. I think they're going to need to add someone with experience.
Will Riccardo try to jump again?
I'd love to see Albon get a chance here.
Think Gasly is kicking himself for signing an extension with AlphaTauri?

As I type this list I wonder, is Aston Martin even a sought after seat? I'm thinking Strolls money has to pay off sometime, doesn't it?

Yea, I'm torn on Vettel. I really dig him off track, and have liked him on the track during the short time I've been following around, but I've heard a ton of stories. "Multi 21, Seb". Will be interesting to follow his post F1 career.

Who takes his seat?! There's a long list of up and comers that could jump in, but I feel like Stroll might not be the best role model/teammate. I think they're going to need to add someone with experience.
Will Riccardo try to jump again?
I'd love to see Albon get a chance here.
Think Gasly is kicking himself for signing an extension with AlphaTauri?

As I type this list I wonder, is Aston Martin even a sought after seat? I'm thinking Strolls money has to pay off sometime, doesn't it?
IMO I think AM would be a bad idea for anyone without some serious experience under their belt. I could see McLaren giving Danny the boot, Danny back filling AM and Piastri going to McLaren. I think Piastri is next up for a seat, maybe he goes straight to AM, he's been getting tons and tons of rants and raves about hit potential. Thing is I dont think AM wants anyone young to pair and compete with baby Stroll. AM seems kinda toxic culture wise compared to other mid field seats. Apparently AM asked Sebs opinion on who he thinks would fit for a back fill, I really hope Mick stays away.

IMO I think AM would be a bad idea for anyone without some serious experience under their belt. I could see McLaren giving Danny the boot, Danny back filling AM and Piastri going to McLaren. I think Piastri is next up for a seat, maybe he goes straight to AM, he's been getting tons and tons of rants and raves about hit potential. Thing is I dont think AM wants anyone young to pair and compete with baby Stroll. AM seems kinda toxic culture wise compared to other mid field seats. Apparently AM asked Sebs opinion on who he thinks would fit for a back fill, I really hope Mick stays away.
Sounds like the only way they can boot him is if they buy him out. Not sure that happens as most of the young drivers are either tied to other teams, or don't yet have their super license. Maybe that is an easy fix, but whether its Herta, or O'ward they have those guys locked in now. They can wait until 24

I could see Alonso moving, Alpine keeps Piastri and they are happy. Possibly De Vries

I could see Alonso moving, Alpine keeps Piastri and they are happy. Possibly De Vries
My not so bold prediction is De Vries is the Lewis replacement when it comes. My bold prediction is that it's Gasly.

Baja Malibu/San Antonio del Mar—Just north of Rosarito. 15-20 minutes from the San Ysidro border toward San Diego.
Nice. Lived in SD for a few years and we'd always rent the same house down in Playa Mision in order to spend time in Valle de Guadalupe and Puerto Nuevo.

Vettel.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom