Fab Melo to miss Tournament | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Fab Melo to miss Tournament

strong first post

Like I said, you have no reason to believe me. I'm pretty sure the story will be validated soon. It's true I never post, but I read the board daily. I'm not trying to start anything, but this is what I have heard...and from a very strong source.

Burn Cooney's redshirt. Play a 3-2 zone with three guards out on top. Rotate KJ, CJ and Dirty at the back two spots. Press like a mother****er.

We're screwed. :(

Yep, people don't seem to realize grades come out in April. Unless they screwed up and let him back too soon, its NOT GRADES!
If he was allowed to play BEFORE he was eligible we could vacate some of those wins and possibly the Big East title...

After quietly questioning all the insiders who spent the summer telling us that Christmas would start, I've been bullish on him since 1 November. Better touch and offensive footwork than Fab already, and a stronger rebounder, too.

Big negative will be his defensive positioning (and his inability to prevent opposing bigs from moving him around like a folding chair).

But we've actually seen this scenario before. Rakeem played great in what many felt was our game of the young season, at Cincinnati only 47 hours after our first loss. This time he's going to have a warm-up against a bunch of 6'5" guys. I think he's going to step up and play hard without looking over his shoulder.

And, should he struggle, Baye can't play any worse than he did for the second half of the year, right?

Rak was very good in that Cincy game. And then a zero the next time out against WVU. (14 minutes, 1 rebound, 5 fouls). Rak should be fine against Asheville. (And yes, your point on his defensive positioning is my biggest worry, he gets moved around very easily).

Rak has a huge spectrum of possibilities; he could play like he did against Cincy, or as poorly as he did against WVU. If the latter happens, we'll be lucky to make it past this weekend.

Rak was very good in that Cincy game. And then a zero the next time out against WVU. (14 minutes, 1 rebound, 5 fouls). Rak should be fine against Asheville. (And yes, your point on his defensive positioning is my biggest worry, he gets moved around very easily).

Rak has a huge spectrum of possibilities; he could play like he did against Cincy, or as poorly as he did against WVU. If the latter happens, we'll be lucky to make it past this weekend.

True, he could struggle. If he does, hopefully his and Keita's ten fouls will get burned and we can outscore the other team.

Or we'll see C.J. at the five as I repeatedly smash my head into the wall.

Good game 2012.

So does Fair play the 3 next year with Christmas/Coleman/MCW/Trische?

Gottlieb tweeted exactly my thoughts: time to press and press and press to cover our lack of any inside presence and rebounding.

While we're bemoaning the limited usage of Rak, add MCW to the list. If we are to go guard heavy, I want MCW as part of the equation.

Does anyone know if it is 100% confirmed for the entire tournament? I think we should still make the Sweet 16
I don't think it matters.

Assuming it was a recreational issue... even if he were to be "clean" next week, chances are he wouldn't be invited back this season... if ever.

At this point I just plan on getting hammered during these games so I don't have to think about it.

You know whats funny, is you have teams like Marquette that still have less size than we do and are a 3 seed.

Ultimately, Fab is at fault whatever the reason for the eligibility issue. If it's academics and we end up with an APR problem, Fab should never show his face in Syracuse again. His actions or inaction could take us down for 2 tournaments. If it's drugs, how could anyone on the team be so stupid to do drugs after the Yahoo story hit?!

In another year, this would be unbelievable news. However, given the year we've had off the court, it's just another shoe dropping and this time it's a huge kick to the gut. Gotta feel for the other kids on the team - if you think we're furious, just wait until they get over the shock of this - I'd hate to be Fab in a room with all those guys.

We could very easily lose from the 2nd round on now. Of course, you could have said that before this news hit. But we simply are not a special team without Fab. Still can be a very good team but just like in 2010, we do not have the time to rebuild the team to succeed without Fab. And that sucks!

Let's Go Orange!!!

While we're bemoaning the limited usage of Rak, add MCW to the list. If we are to go guard heavy, I want MCW as part of the equation.
I want him as a heavy part of the rotation regardless. The kid is a flat out stud. Against UConn he very quickly got 3 or 4 assists against 0 turnovers. We need him on the floor from time to time, he's the smartest and best passer on the team by a pretty sizable margin.

If he was allowed to play BEFORE he was eligible we could vacate some of those wins and possibly the Big East title...
exactly... didn't write that but I wanted to imply it. However, I am fairly certain that would not happen. Too many people would have had to screw up/ look the other way, and this year in particular that would not have happened!

Dana O'Neil tweeted it's related to the previous academic issue- NCAA revisited the case and deemed him ineligible again.

Dana O'Neil tweeted it's related to the previous academic issue- NCAA revisited the case and deemed him ineligible again.
If that's accurate we shouldn't have to dimiss wins right? Since the NCAA said he was eligible, not us.

Well after we fire everyone on the hill, coaches, players, tutors and everyone who loved this season and supported them, I guess some of you will be happy and feel vindicated.

In college I had all the support I needed and didn't always use it as I should have. It had nothing to do with lack of control on anyones part but myself. I fully and completely blame Fab. To blame someone else is ridiculous. To think every effort wasn't made is stupid. I understand being frustrated, but vent it in the right direction, not at your pet peeves.

Now I am going to break several items I have wanted to get rid of for awhile. Then I'm getting my Orange ready for Thursday and continue my total support of the rest of the team and coaches. If they play with max effort, I can take whatever they accomplish and live with the rest.

Go SU!!!!!

Let's step back and be honest here: this is 100% on Fab Melo. He can have all the support he needs, but if he just doesn't care, it makes ZERO difference. You can't force a kid to give a .

This particular issue is on Fab, and no one else.

Between the football and basketball foibles, the past few years have been absolutely brutal to be a Syracuse fan. It's almost incomprehensible that for the 2nd time in 2 years, we've had the rug pulled out from under us on the eve of the NCAA tournament, when we looked like a legit Final 4 Team. One of the worst aspects of this is that it lends credibility to the scumbags who wrote the Yahoo story, which will now be a storyline during our limited run in the tournament.

I know I stuck up for Melo when his "academic issues" surfaced, but this is inexcusable. Melo has really screwed over his teammates, and has gone from a celebrity to persona non grata on The Hill.

" Dana O'Neil tweeted it's related to the previous academic issue- NCAA revisited the case and deemed him ineligible again. "

To me, at least part of this falls on the NCAA. It took them 5 weeks to figure this out, and they do this now?

Man, I really hope we can get Nerlens next season. This is ridiculous, they are paying for your education and all you have to do is pass. What an absolute idiot.

I don't think it matters.

Assuming it was a recreational issue... even if he were to be "clean" next week, chances are he wouldn't be invited back this season... if ever.

I have thick skin and have no problem inviting him back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom