Feldman: Shafer emerges as strong candidate | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Feldman: Shafer emerges as strong candidate

isn't hackett a few years removed from high school? too fresh faced to be considered for a HC job at this point.

Tell Mike Tomlin that... with a much BIGGER job. I think young is the way to go these days. Certainly have more of a natural bond with recruits.

I question the value of hiring from within solely to try and keep together this year's recruiting class. If someone on the staff is the best candidate out there, then fine, hire him, but I would rather we get the best hire for the future and take what we get with this class. With no offense intended to any of the recruits (there are some very good individual recruits), this year's class isn't exactly one worth leveraging the future on.

I question the value of hiring from within solely to try and keep together this year's recruiting class. If someone on the staff is the best candidate out there, then fine, hire him, but I would rather we get the best hire for the future and take what we get with this class. With no offense intended to any of the recruits (there are some very good individual recruits), this year's class isn't exactly one worth leveraging the future on.

Agree - though a tie goes to existing staff.

I agree with you if that would be the only reason but I'd guess keeping the system we already have in place that seems to be working would be a part of that as well. I like our offense and defense and how they both attack.

Why are so many people down on him as HC? Sincere question, I have no opinion.
It has less to do with Shafer and more to do with what I think the consequence is of hiring internally.

Look, Douglas "The Dream Job Accepter" Marrone decided for whatever reason he wasn't supported enough to keep him employed here. Any chance that sentiment rubbed off on his assistants? Plus, if Marrone wasn't going to get that support, while heading into a new conference and better financial situation mind you, what on earth makes us think that promoting one of his underlings is going to be the catalyst that gets support?

So in my mind, I'd rather start more or less fresh, and reset the clock on expectations for facility upgrades in a sense. And with the reset, find a coach that is going to be confident in the face of the challenges we have until we can overcome some of them.

I mean, when I boil it down all I can come up with is that Marrone decided the job was too hard. It would take a lot of convincing for me to buy that Shafer and Hackett think he's wrong.

If Gross is likewise on his way out due to the change in chancellors then he plays it safe with this hire which means somone from the current staff. He has one big black mark on his resume with the Gump hire. The DM hire counterbalances that to a degree but he may be defined more by this hire to a prospective employer than those two.

^ This. I don't think he'll have the power or gumption to make a big move. The recent successes won't allow him a big shift in direction either. I think it's Hackett, Shafer or the ND D coordinator.

I'll say this about Shafer - I do like the fact that he was Harbaugh's assistant head coach at Stanford.
I also like that he was a college QB and is now a DC. It shows that he has experience on both sides of the ball. Marrone couldnt say this.

Who has been interviewed? Is he the only one so far?

Completely agree. But if you've got a good coordinator in house, do you accept defeat? That it's a foregone conclusion that you can't retain him? I think you do what you can to hold on to him so he's still around to be promoted up if/when the current coach bolts.

I think you bring in the best HC candidate you can, and worry less about the coordinators. I really, really like both Shafer and Hackett, but Hackett seems dangerously young to me, and per Tom's post above I don't know if Shafer is head coaching material.

My main concern with Hackett is not his knowledge or his long-term potential, its his short term readiness. Running an entire football program is a monumental task--there are dozens of examples of coaches who excel as coordinators who just don't have the chops to be head coaches. Doesn't make those coordinators "bad" coaches, just not head coaches. And after seeing the ineptitude of GRob, I don't want to have our next head coach be someone who is unproven or might be overwhelmed because the job is too big for them.

At the end of the day, if we promote from within, I'll support it and keep my fingers crossed that it works out. As a whole, I'm very impressed by our staffs' ability to recruit quality athletes and game plan--so if we are able to keep them together and it gives us continuity, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. But I don't want to backslide--which is why I'm really disappointed that we weren't able to get two more years out of Marrone to continue building upon the foundation he established. No question, the program is in MUCH better shape than it was when he took over. But I feel like we are teetering on the brink, and it could go either way depending on what the next head coach is capable of.

For the love of God, just hire someone who has NE recruiting ties and who won't read his players bedtime stories and I think we'll be fine!!!

Well, as long as he could make it rain gumballs... :)

I think you bring in the best HC candidate you can, and worry less about the coordinators. I really, really like both Shafer and Hackett, but Hackett seems dangerously young to me, and per Tom's post above I don't know if Shafer is head coaching material.

My main concern with Hackett is not his knowledge or his long-term potential, its his short term readiness. Running an entire football program is a monumental task--there are dozens of examples of coaches who excel as coordinators who just don't have the chops to be head coaches. Doesn't make those coordinators "bad" coaches, just not head coaches. And after seeing the ineptitude of GRob, I don't want to have our next head coach be someone who is unproven or might be overwhelmed because the job is too big for them.

At the end of the day, if we promote from within, I'll support it and keep my fingers crossed that it works out. As a whole, I'm very impressed by our staffs' ability to recruit quality athletes and game plan--so if we are able to keep them together and it gives us continuity, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. But I don't want to backslide--which is why I'm really disappointed that we weren't able to get two more years out of Marrone to continue building upon the foundation he established. No question, the program is in MUCH better shape than it was when he took over. But I feel like we are teetering on the brink, and it could go either way depending on what the next head coach is capable of.

I think we are uniquely unqualified to judge his readiness. That's the good Dr.s job and why you interview everyone 1st.

I think we are uniquely unqualified to judge his readiness. That's the good Dr.s job and why you interview everyone 1st.

No argument there--which is why I said that it is a concern of mine, versus declaring definitively that Hackett isn't ready.

Due diligence is the key here. I don't mind this taking a little more time, provided that the AD thinks this through, explores all options, and makes an informed choice that is best for the program. We're not in a position to take on a poor hire at this stage of the rebuild.

No argument there--which is why I said that it is a concern of mine, versus declaring definitively that Hackett isn't ready.

Due diligence is the key here. I don't mind this taking a little more time, provided that the AD thinks this through, explores all options, and makes an informed choice that is best for the program. We're not in a position to take on a poor hire at this stage of the rebuild.

Agreed. I think you identify your outside guys and interview them along with both Shafer and Hackett. Best guy will rise to the top.

Best choice is Shafer as head coach, make Hackett coach in waiting try to keep staff together with raises for all, and bring in a strong recruiter.

Best choice is Shafer as head coach, make Hackett coach in waiting try to keep staff together with raises for all, and bring in a strong recruiter.
Why do you make Hackett coach in waiting?

If you make Shafer the coach, he deserves full confidence.

I don't disagree with anything you posted above. Getting back to my original point... I would just SUPPORT Shafer, as opposed to being against his hiring, and I think it's important to have a succession plan in place for recruits to understand what will happen if the coach bolts. I don't think that's always possible, but if we can retain Hackett (assuming Shafer is hired) and he does well for 3 years he will have demonstrated his readiness by then. I was addressing the recruiting impact of all this, which I agree can't always be paramount.

If one of the coordinators is chosen as the head coach the other is probably 75-100% gone. If I am Shafer and Hackett gets the job, I am looking for new work real quick. Happens in every industry, the one who is passed over is a short timer. I am sure he can find another DC job at a BCS school.

Why do you make Hackett coach in waiting?

If you make Shafer the coach, he deserves full confidence.

Because people are insane. No program does that unless the head coach is nearing retirement.