FHCSS steps down at Maryland | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

FHCSS steps down at Maryland

The scheme was in place for one season.

And it afforded more explosive plays than we have seen in years. And he was forced to play a true frosh and a walk-on at QB.

Babers has indicated that it takes at least 1.5 years for his system to begin to jell.

So, I don't think you can criticize Lester that way.

It was a joke.

And the offense still stunk.

it's fun to imagine the meltdown. i'm sure I would've been very measured and totally above the fray.

hope everything works out for shafer

I just hope your calculus that defense doesn't matter - that offense dictates wins and losses in college football - turns out to be true.

I just hope your calculus that defense doesn't matter - that offense dictates wins and losses in college football - turns out to be true.
yards per play differential matters and the best way for a school with limited resources to maximize that is to spend money on offense and hope you catch breaks on defense.

you get more bang for your buck here with offensive coaches.

i'm not saying that a yard gained is better than a yard prevented, they're obviously equivalent

Yes, it was an attempt to be funny - I understood that.

But, I think it would be more accurate to say that George McDonald's offense "stunk."

They both stunk.

We're going to be a ton better from the start this season, long before the system really kicks in.

Defense matters if you want to win a national championship. If you're looking to win 10+ games and make a premiere bowl game, it doesn't seem to matter.

Oregon got very, very good by putting it's offense on show, building a winning tradition, and then landing defensive recruits to give them a dangerous D. It's not going to happen overnight. We don't have the players to run any defensive system very well at this point.

Win the games we can win, get to a bowl, and get Babers' kids in. We aren't going to win a championship in year one or two.

Dino's offense will put up more yardage than Lester's in it's first season, and he'll probably put up more yards in the first game than Lester's offense ever produced.

Also, the reason a true frosh and walk-on had to play QB is because his system got the players ahead of those guys hurt.

Really you think Lester's scheme got Hunt hurt? Really?

Oregon got very, very good by putting it's offense on show, building a winning tradition, and then landing defensive recruits to give them a dangerous D. It's not going to happen overnight. We don't have the players to run any defensive system very well at this point.

Win the games we can win, get to a bowl, and get Babers' kids in. We aren't going to win a championship in year one or two.

Agreed, I don't care who the DC is at this point or what scheme they run, not seeing a ton of playmakers over there. Get a few stops, a few turnovers and make the opposing O earn it. Meathead football as most of the sanza belt, comb over, velcro shoe wearing nation know it is officially over.

The defense is what will take more time to build than anything. Just needs to be average D for the team to be damn good, unfortunately I don't see average for a couple of years

Not Hunt, but Dungey.

Agree there, Dungey didn't help matters though either. Amazing that the officer didn't take anywhere near the shots that Dungey did

bnoro said:
Not Hunt, but Dungey.

Dungey did a heck of a lot of running in the spring game. A lot more than I thought he would.

They both stunk.

We're going to be a ton better from the start this season, long before the system really kicks in.

Sorry, just disagree with you.

Lester did a very good job in the very brief time he had.

Babers will have the advantage of having a seasoned QB, and a number of very talented young RBs who seem to fit his system pretty well.

Dungey did a heck of a lot of running in the spring game. A lot more than I thought he would.

Actually that's a very good observation.

The QB's used the read option a great deal on Saturday.

If Shafer hadn't gotten fired and if he still had to resign for personal reasons in April, would Tim Lester have been our head coach?

Gross would have stepped out of the classroom and onto the football field to take over.

OrangePA said:
The scheme was in place for one season. And it afforded more explosive plays than we have seen in years. And he was forced to play a true frosh and a walk-on at QB. Babers has indicated that it takes at least 1.5 years for his system to begin to jell. So, I don't think you can criticize Lester that way.

I cannot. Cannot. Wait until this system, run at low speed, not quite jelled - delivers more explosive plays in the OOC than all of last year.

OrangePA said:
Sorry, just disagree with you. Lester did a very good job in the very brief time he had. Babers will have the advantage of having a seasoned QB, and a number of very talented young RBs who seem to fit his system pretty well.

If you ignore the stats and results, I agree.

OrangePA said:
Actually that's a very good observation. The QB's used the read option a great deal on Saturday.

Watch BGSU games - they run a bit. I think it's an answer to one of the ways teams try to stop specific things in this offense. When read correctly the BG QB would get 20 yards before he was touched AND Dungey is roughly x400 more athletic.

Watch BGSU games - they run a bit. I think it's an answer to one of the ways teams try to stop specific things in this offense. When read correctly the BG QB would get 20 yards before he was touched AND Dungey is roughly x400 more athletic.
They wouldve ran the qb more if he wasn't a chubby 41 year bald guy who probably loves pbr and kid rock

Actually that's a very good observation.

The QB's used the read option a great deal on Saturday.
I'd imagine there's quite a few RPO's in this offense.

TheCusian said:

Point is I thought we'd see Dungey run very little and only when needed to and not as part of the offense. Someone above said the prior offense is one reason QBs got hurt. Still see a lot of QB running even in this offense. It's not going to protect Dungey. But maybe Dungey will go down easier but he'll still take open field hits, sometimes blind sided.

OrangePA said:
Sorry, just disagree with you. Lester did a very good job in the very brief time he had. Babers will have the advantage of having a seasoned QB, and a number of very talented young RBs who seem to fit his system pretty well.

And I disagree as well. I can't square "very good job" with the actual points and yardage production of the O. But it doesn't matter, our offense is going to be a ton better than anything we've seen in a decade, and that's before it actually fully gels.

Dino's offense will put up more yardage than Lester's in it's first season, and he'll probably put up more yards in the first game than Lester's offense ever produced.

I sure hope so. Lester topped out at 426 yards vs. RI.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom