FHCSS steps down at Maryland | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

FHCSS steps down at Maryland

rrlbees said:
Point is I thought we'd see Dungey run very little and only when needed to and not as part of the offense. Someone above said the prior offense is one reason QBs got hurt. Still see a lot of QB running even in this offense. It's not going to protect Dungey. But maybe Dungey will go down easier but he'll still take open field hits, sometimes blind sided.

In the previous offense, he'd get clobbered 2 yards from the line because they were ready for it. This offense you only run that in very specific reads and it will be a large gainer with a slide at the end. I think.

Big difference. IMO.

TheCusian said:
In the previous offense, he'd get clobbered 2 yards from the line because they were ready for it. This offense you only run that in very specific reads and it will be a large gainer with a slide at the end. I think. Big difference. IMO.

Huh?

TheCusian said:
Can't help you without more info on what you're confused about.

The whole thing.

rrlbees said:
The whole thing.

Ok.

Watch some BGSU games.

Watch for the lumbering fat pirate of a QB get 10 yards on every run.

Watch our games and see Dungey have to be a magician to get 10 OR get clobbered at the line. We ran by design or because he had to - but it wasn't with enough purpose or with enough protection built in. Lester (and Dungey) put himself in those situations.

The zone read is a part of the Babers/Briles system. Not a main component like RichRod. But it's run in certain scenarios (a coach or someone with more X's and O's knowledge would have to explain what the read is) and it's always for a large gain and the Bowling Green QB slid a lot at the end.

So I'd imagine Dungey will run in that very specific read/scenario and it will be followed by a slide. It will be intentional and will be by design - a safer play - than whatever we ran last year.

Thoughts?

TheCusian said:
Ok. Watch some BGSU games. Watch for the lumbering fat pirate of a QB get 10 yards on every run. Watch our games and see Dungey have to be a magician to get 10 OR get clobbered at the line. We ran by design or because he had to - but it wasn't with enough purpose or with enough protection built in. Lester (and Dungey) put himself in those situations. The zone read is a part of the Babers/Briles system. Not a main component like RichRod. But it's run in certain scenarios (a coach or someone with more X's and O's knowledge would have to explain what the read is) and it's always for a large gain and the Bowling Green QB slid a lot at the end. So I'd imagine Dungey will run in that very specific read/scenario and it will be followed by a slide. It will be intentional and will be by design - a safer play - than whatever we ran last year. Thoughts?

Running the ball is running the ball. Doesn't matter if you get drilled 2 yards or 10 yards downfield. And our guy has concussion issues. I just assumed we wouldn't let him run much. I was wrong.

rrlbees said:
Running the ball is running the ball. Doesn't matter if you get drilled 2 yards or 10 yards downfield. And our guy has concussion issues. I just assumed we wouldn't let him run much. I was wrong.

I'm not sure it makes sense unless you watch the QB runs on tape from BG last year. It's nuts how much green is in front on him. They ran it maybe 2-3 times a game. I want to say he always slid, but I wasn't looking for it. There was zero opportunity for him to get a "surprise" hit (like Dungey on almost all of his awful hits last year) - because the defenders are far from the QB. He can see them coming.

I think it's more dangerous in the pocket (when a deep throw is developing).

TheCusian said:
I'm not sure it makes sense unless you watch the QB runs on tape from BG last year. It's nuts how much green is in front on him. They ran it maybe 2-3 times a game. I want to say he always slid, but I wasn't looking for it. There was zero opportunity for him to get a "surprise" hit (like Dungey on almost all of his awful hits last year) - because the defenders are far from the QB. He can see them coming. I think it's more dangerous in the pocket (when a deep throw is developing).

Dungey ran it more than 2-3 times...in a spring game.

...where he wasn't allowed to be tackled and the offense was only running a pared down variety of plays.

But sure, keep thinking the distribution of plays at the spring game will definitely match the distribution of plays in the fall.

leftytg said:
...where he wasn't allowed to be tackled and the offense was only running a pared down variety of plays. But sure, keep thinking the distribution of plays at the spring game will definitely match the distribution of plays in the fall.

Well obviously they weren't gonna hit him. That's why the wore black jerseys. But why call designed runs for the QB if it's not part of the offense?

rrlbees said:

Not trying to be argumentative. I don't know why he ran more than that. I can only say that every time people said Dungey wouldn't be running over the past 6 months, I'd chime in to say that this system has a zone read element. And that when BG ran it, it didn't get blown up and the QB has room to run and slide under control.

Maybe you should ask Babers about it.

rrlbees said:
Well obviously they weren't gonna hit him. That's why the wore black jerseys. But why call designed runs for the QB if it's not part of the offense?

It's a part of the offense. In certain situations.

In the previous offense, he'd get clobbered 2 yards from the line because they were ready for it. This offense you only run that in very specific reads and it will be a large gainer with a slide at the end. I think.

Big difference. IMO.

The two biggest hits I remember Dungey taking last year were against CMU and UVA. A change in the offensive system wouldn't have mattered in either case.

*Any chance the mods can move this debate to it's own thread instead of the FHCSS stepping down thread?

SUFaninNJ said:
The two biggest hits I remember Dungey taking last year were against CMU and UVA. A change in the offensive system wouldn't have mattered in either case. *Any chance the mods can move this debate to it's own thread instead of the FHCSS stepping down thread?

Disagree a bit. The CMU hit was on a roll out where he was waiting for Strickland to come open. This system gets the ball out much quicker. Slow developing plays are not that prevalent.

The UVA game... Yeah, you're right I think. He's too much of a competitor and wanted to get in the end zone. I'm not sure Babers or Shafer could keep him out of the end zone. The UVA defense couldn't.

TheCusian said:
It's a part of the offense. In certain situations.

Then we are back to the beginning of this.

rrlbees said:
Then we are back to the beginning of this.

I can only share my observations. It's on tape.

The Bowling Green QB ran the zone read a few times a game for decent yardage.

We ran it on Sat.

Draw your own conclusions.

Disagree a bit. The CMU hit was on a roll out where he was waiting for Strickland to come open. This system gets the ball out much quicker. Slow developing plays are not that prevalent.

The UVA game... Yeah, you're right I think. He's too much of a competitor and wanted to get in the end zone. I'm not sure Babers or Shafer could keep him out of the end zone. The UVA defense couldn't.

The CMU was a late hit and cheap shot. My point being that you can get those no matter what the system is. I agree that getting the ball out quicker might lessen those occurrences.

I have great respect for Coach Shafer and his family. I wish them only the best and hope whatever the problem is can be resolved quickly.
ditto !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom