FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

Diego Costa playing on Spain is so stupid. It's one thing if your parents were from a country or you were born there, etc.

But he moved to Spain when he was what? 18?

I wish the rules about that were a little stricter.

Everyone see the Dutch guy dive?

The one in the box?

DISCUSTING. He DIdnt even get elbowed by the Brazilian costa

Can't ask for much more so far in this World Cup. I was concerned Italy-England would be a boring 0-0 draw. Glad to be wrong. Pirlo is a genius. Shows you what good positioning and reading of the game does for you.

Uruguay is toast. Just don't have the cutting edge right now. I thought Colombia would make a deep run this WC and I'm sticking with it. The quality depth for them is the difference.

Can't wait for US-Ghana tomorrow!

Goal-line technology used for the first time in World Cup play on France's second goal. Looks like it got it right.

Who kidnapped the Belgian team and replaced them with this rec league lot? They've been one of my favorites to win, but not if this keeps up. Maybe they're just trying to pull a Spain 2010 sort of deal.

EDIT: Ok, maybe they had some jet lag or something but are back on track.

Last edited:
Who kidnapped the Belgian team and replaced them with this rec league lot? They've been one of my favorites to win, but not if this keeps up. Maybe they're just trying to pull a Spain 2010 sort of deal.

EDIT: Ok, maybe they had some jet lag or something but are back on track.

Algeria is a tough matchup. Not really that good but their guys are all roided out and they run the famous Greek 9-0-1 formation.

I know a goal is rare (I'm not a big soccer fan), but what is with the over the top celebratory antics any time someone scores a goal? Really stupid looking. Makes the silly NFL stuff look tame in comparison.

I know a goal is rare (I'm not a big soccer fan), but what is with the over the top celebratory antics any time someone scores a goal? Really stupid looking. Makes the silly NFL stuff look tame in comparison.
Goals aren't rare. But it's hard to score a goal. And scoring a goal for your country in the sport's biggest competition where every goal, every point is massively important is enormous and people get excited.

Goals aren't rare. But it's hard to score a goal. And scoring a goal for your country in the sport's biggest competition where every goal, every point is massively important is enormous and people get excited.

Okay.

Okay.
A lot of it is cultural, too. Compare the way the US celebrated their scores to the way Colombia celebrated theirs. Big difference.

You talking about the crowd, the players, or both?

My favorite is when someone scores a goal and does that airplane thing and everyone else is running around in circles trying to catch him and somehow they all collide and pile up on top of each other.

Now if that was college football it would be a 15 yarder for excessive celebration or something.

Easily the best and worst celebration all at once... only enhanced by Carra mimicing it
article-0-19BF0973000005DC-775_634x476.jpg

Do they have a penalty rule about excessively faking an injury or bump, or is that just part of the game?

You should see some of the goal celebrations. If you type into google "best goal celebrations ever", they show a team from Iceland with some creative ones.

Do they have a penalty rule about excessively faking an injury or bump, or is that just part of the game?

I wish. It really drives me nuts. Magic spray :mad:

If the referee judges it to be a deliberate attempt to waste time, he can issue a card, but that doesn't happen often and when it does it's usually in the game's waning moments with a team clinging to a slim lead. The "flopping" you see is a tactic to try to elicit a foul call from the refs and it continues to happen because FIFA has elected to not to crack down on it, because FIFA is awful.