FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

Yedlin's stock went up further in my book (if that's possible). Donovan couldn't resist a jab at JK about the US style of play vs. Belgium. Donovan said the 4-5-1 was the wrong formation and we didn't play offensive football. While this may kinda/sorta/actually be true, it comes across as sour grapes from Donovan. Yedlin was asked about it and stood up for Jurgen. Smart move and the right move. Qualifying and the Group stage was much tougher than in any previous year and we made it.

No negative vibes, as a great man once said. Jurgen did a great job and it was nice to see Yedlin answer the question (even if he gave the PC answer) rather than take a pass.

And if Wondo puts home that gift in stoppage time, no one gives a rats ass what Donovan thinks. My advice to Landon would be to shut up and move on. He looks like a spoiled brat taking shots at Klinsmann after the fact. People seem to forget that JK lost the services of his most experienced and physically gifted striker and still managed to be one bad bounce in stoppage time away from advancing to the Quarters. We were THAT close to stealing it.

Well if I'm any indication of the casual fan, I just got home tonight 12:30 after some fireworks and a friends BBQ and flipped on the Galaxy/Timbers game. Never, ever have I done that lol.

I'll tell you this, to pass the time when there's no football or basketball, MLS is a hell of a lot more fun to watch than baseball.

Perhaps Its the 9 goals we dumped on Lloris in 2 games this season but he didn't look that good. Matter of fact he got exposed badly in any match with legitimate attacking talent.

United wouldve given up many more without De Gea and its painful for me to compliment a united player. Speroni played very well considering the amount of shots he faced every time out.
He got exposed because Spurs' back line was an absolute joke. The save he made against Suarez in the reverse fixture was absolutely amazing.

longislandcuse said:
Well if I'm any indication of the casual fan, I just got home tonight 12:30 after some fireworks and a friends BBQ and flipped on the Galaxy/Timbers game. Never, ever have I done that lol.

I'll tell you this, to pass the time when there's no football or basketball, MLS is a hell of a lot more fun to watch than baseball.

I caught the end of the dynamo v red bulls game. My cousin is a huge Sounders fan and been telling me to try the mls again because the level of play has drastically improved... and he's right. It looks a lot more like European soccer vs the mls of 5 years ago. I may have to nut up and pick a favorite team. Seattle are awesome but Houston are my leader in the club house with their BA orange kits.

I caught the end of the dynamo v red bulls game. My cousin is a huge Sounders fan and been telling me to try the mls again because the level of play has drastically improved... and he's right. It looks a lot more like European soccer vs the mls of 5 years ago. I may have to nut up and pick a favorite team. Seattle are awesome but Houston are my leader in the club house with their BA orange kits.
Funny, I was thinking the same thing. I may have to get involved in watching MLS. Orlando is getting a team, I believe, with Kaka no less. I like getting in on the ground floor so I'm leaning their way.

bnoro said:
He got exposed because Spurs' back line was an absolute joke. The save he made against Suarez in the reverse fixture was absolutely amazing.

Fair enough and thats why I struggled a bit naming top keepers. There are several facets to a keeper beyond shot stopping abilty. Take my keepr, Mignolet, for example. As a shot stopper he's quite good but his distribution from the back needs work and his organization on set pieces was a comedy or errors so I didn't think to name him for a second. To me the keeper is somewhat responsible for the organization of the defense but there's obviously some parts out of their control. To me Vertonghen reminds me of Glen Johnson and I don't mean that as a complement. On top of that your one center half, who's name escapes me, is sadly out classed vs pacey forewards so I get what you're saying. The reason I picked Speroni was the sheer number of saves he makes in the midst or a shooting range every week.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. I may have to get involved in watching MLS. Orlando is getting a team, I believe, with Kaka no less. I like getting in on the ground floor so I'm leaning their way.

Im maybe and hour from the Philly Union games but chances of me going to Chester for a game are slim and chances of me getting along with philly fans boys are nil. Perhaps if Baltimore get a team or if by some chance mls starts using the relegation system and Harrisburg can move up I'd have more natural choices.

Im maybe and hour from the Philly Union games but chances of me going to Chester for a game are slim and chances of me getting along with philly fans boys are nil. Perhaps if Baltimore get a team or if by some chance mls starts using the relegation system and Harrisburg can move up I'd have more natural choices.
I wonder if the Philly Union fans are as negative as Philly fans everywhere else. Maybe they just direct the "You don't know what you are doing" chant at their own team from the first minute.

Yea, the level of play in the Galaxy/Timbers game looked decent. One thing I noticed is its way more physical in MLS.

Yea, the level of play in the Galaxy/Timbers game looked decent. One thing I noticed is its way more physical in MLS.
It looked like a slower epl without all the pressure on the ball. Perhaps the reason for the slower passing Is the abundance of space given.

I wonder if the Philly Union fans are as negative as Philly fans everywhere else. Maybe they just direct the "You don't know what you are doing" chant at their own team from the first minute.

Is It worth the risk to find out only to be proven right?

MLS is AA compared to the BPL Majors. We need the league to become full of players in their 20's developing and moving up the ladder to Europe. The MLS will never be taken seriously until they adopt the European playing season which they can't because of the NFL, College FB, NBA the summer is good but they need to grow the game but they can't until they move to European calendar.

Yedlin's stock went up further in my book (if that's possible). Donovan couldn't resist a jab at JK about the US style of play vs. Belgium. Donovan said the 4-5-1 was the wrong formation and we didn't play offensive football. While this may kinda/sorta/actually be true, it comes across as sour grapes from Donovan. Yedlin was asked about it and stood up for Jurgen. Smart move and the right move. Qualifying and the Group stage was much tougher than in any previous year and we made it.

No negative vibes, as a great man once said. Jurgen did a great job and it was nice to see Yedlin answer the question (even if he gave the PC answer) rather than take a pass.
Jurgen did an average job and the in the end showed nothing to me that Bradley and Arena hadn't showed. Wait, I'll take that back, Arena made the quarter finals and his team played Germany even, i would rate Areana ahead of Klinsman, I would give Klinsman the edge on Sampson however. We played four games and were soundly outplayed in three of them and yet we get the gushing over Klinsmann and of course yedlin isn't going to second guess Klinsmann. Everyoone on that team knows what happens if jurgy doesn't like you. You can become a cautionary tail even if your the best player in US soccer history Landon knows his days on the USA Nats are over so he could afford to be honest and he simply said what alot of us were thinking after Belgium. The Belgium game was a Tim Howard away from being a huge embarassment by the way.

MLS is AA compared to the BPL Majors. We need the league to become full of players in their 20's developing and moving up the ladder to Europe. The MLS will never be taken seriously until they adopt the European playing season which they can't because of the NFL, College FB, NBA the summer is good but they need to grow the game but they can't until they move to European calendar.
Im a avid Red Bulls fan its not the season, its the absurdly low salary cap...thats what has to change, There are several teams that are bringing in $$s now. Seattle for one.

I respectfully disagree as it pertains to the schedule. I think the best thing is for the league to have a season to itself rather than compete head to head with the other major us sports. Also weather would push a lot of fans back out of their seats. If MLS wants to convert soccer fans of european leagues they need to stay where theyre at because they wouldn't even get a thought in season vs big clubs that fanhoods have already been established for. Think about how little you pay attention to other teams while Cuse is in season.

Jurgen did an average job and the in the end showed nothing to me that Bradley and Arena hadn't showed. Wait, I'll take that back, Arena made the quarter finals and his team played Germany even, i would rate Areana ahead of Klinsman, I would give Klinsman the edge on Sampson however. We played four games and were soundly outplayed in three of them and yet we get the gushing over Klinsmann and of course yedlin isn't going to second guess Klinsmann. Everyoone on that team knows what happens if jurgy doesn't like you. You can become a cautionary tail even if your the best player in US soccer history Landon knows his days on the USA Nats are over so he could afford to be honest and he simply said what alot of us were thinking after Belgium. The Belgium game was a Tim Howard away from being a huge embarassment by the way.
Arena wasn't anything special. He was okay but nothing special. 2002 we got lucky we drew Mexico in the round of 16. We beat Portugal, tied Korea in a game they dominated, Poland beat us 3-1 and we needed Korea to beat Portugal to advance. We did outplay Germany but they weren't the machine they are now that happened because of their Euro 2004 disaster.
Klinsmann has changed the energy of USA soccer he has recruited a lot of German-American to the USA and he has challenged USA soccer in friendlies. Instead of beating up Central America teams we have played in Bosnia, France, Italy, Belgium in the last 3 years. Klinsmann is committed to improving the skill level for the USA. This was the most impressive group a USA soccer team has ever got out of and that is a fact. We don't get out of this group with Arena or Bradley.

The Belgians just aren't looking that sharp today.
Time to kick it up a gear.