Fifteen years ago today | Syracusefan.com

Fifteen years ago today

Man, that was a great game -- especially because there was a family of Pitt fans sitting next to us talking smack for most of the game.

I don't think I've ever heard the Dome louder for a basketball game for such an extended period of time -- maybe only Georgetown '89, which was similarly bonkers. It was an incredible atmosphere.

Last edited:
Man, that was a great game -- especially because there was a family of Pitt fans sitting next to us talking smack for most of the game.

I don't think I've ever heard the Dome louder for a basketball game for such an extended period of time -- maybe only Georgetown '89, which was similarly bonkers. It was an incredible atmosphere.

I’ve never been to a sporting event with that kind of energy before or since. It was unreal.

I literally dislocated my shoulder in the first half of this game cheering so aggressively. Went to First Aide, they fixed me up and was good to go for the second half! One of the most memorable games.

Last edited:
Sh?t looked good! But fortunately, it wasn't, Jeremy! That game was amazing just watching it on tv.

Well I was wrong and going to say halfway decent offense that could score unlike this year and past

I’ve never been to a sporting event with that kind of energy before or since. It was unreal.
The Duke game in 2014 was similar. The hype and excitement level and buzz in the Dome before the game and throughout it was similar to how it felt in those late 80s Gtown tilts.

That 2003 team also had a palpable feel about it by late January/early February. You could tell you were watching a team that just might win it all. The win at Michigan State was huge and really solidified that this team could cut down the nets in April.

The Duke game in 2014 was similar. The hype and excitement level and buzz in the Dome before the game and throughout it was similar to how it felt in those late 80s Gtown tilts.

That 2003 team also had a palpable feel about it by late January/early February. You could tell you were watching a team that just might win it all. The win at Michigan State was huge and really solidified that this team could cut down the nets in April.

I had a good feeling in Dec when we blewout GT with much heralded freshman Bosch and Jack. The March 1 OT win vs the Hoyas in DC was awesome, from a personal I was there way, much closer than the 9 pt final. I remember being tied or behind much of the OT, GMac with a HUGE 3.

Man the things I would do for a copy of this game.

I couldn’t talk for like two days.

I can’t believe that game hasn’t made its way to YouTube yet.

That was the loudest b-ball game I’ve ever been at, and the best game I’ve ever been to. Had great seats down low too. So much intensity in the building in that second half. I felt like I had played a game myself after that one.

this win and the notre dame win at the dome were such great wins

Yup. Both all time great games with great crowds and great finishes.

That 2003 team was my favorite all time Cuse team well before the NCAA tournament because of games like those. Flat out loved watching that team play. Fun to watch and incredibly likable group.

The SU championship DVD “Orange Odyssey” did a nice job covering that game. Unfortunately, that’s not on YouTube either.

I remember one of the players saying something like “when you’re deciding where to go to school, that’s the type of game that you go to Syracuse for”.

Fans recognized from the start that there was just something special about that group of players. What added to the excitement was that the team was flying under everybody's radar nationally (I mean how often do national champions enter February unranked?). It was like we knew what we had and were fine with it being our little secret.

The SU championship DVD “Orange Odyssey” did a nice job covering that game. Unfortunately, that’s not on YouTube either.

I remember one of the players saying something like “when you’re deciding where to go to school, that’s the type of game that you go to Syracuse for”.
I can't count the number of times I have watched that DVD.

McNamara - RIGHT BETWEEN THE EYES!!!!!

Yes! I just remember that 2003 season vividly. I was living in Sarasota at the time for work (6 mos) and was renting a sweet pad. Randomly saw and talked to Dickie V once at his favorite and a legendary Siesta Key breakfast/brunch spot called The Broken Egg. But, it was 2003. I was gone often during games and had to record games via VHS, program, etc. Some of those road games especially post January were so much fun. Dunks and lobs galore to Carmelo/Warrick @WVU, @Miami. I remember watching the Oklahoma St. game later on that night. Denied myself knowing any results. The comeback was a BIG one as it felt pretty grim at H. Huge props to McNeil! The Texas game I watched with friends at a random sports bar in Fort Myers. The Kansas game I had to be in Atlanta. I was able to find, because of our old board, a viewing party in suburban Atlanta at a cool sports bar which was epic! TONS of both SU and KU fans. I did not expect that many of either fan base. Very memorable.

McNeil was one of my favorite players ever. He played with all heart.

Best guy I’ve ever seen at playing the back of the press and blocking shots without fouling when they would attack the rim. If he wasn’t so great at that, it’s very possible we never get back in that Oklahoma State game.

I also loved how on senior day the entire team came out with him when he was announced, as both of his parents had passed away.

We played man to man a bunch in the second half to speed up the tempo to help us come back. JB would never do that now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom