Folks used to complain JB couldn't win S16 games... | Syracusefan.com

Folks used to complain JB couldn't win S16 games...

Thrilled to be wrong about this one, as I've said it a few times before. If you noticed, there were a few stretches of the game where Gonzaga looked really well prepared for the zone, making the right pass to get an easy open look... Then we'd make an adjustment or two, and they'd struggle for a while. Gotta give credit to Boeheim on that!

Let me ask a hypothetical, no one in particular in mind of course. Would it be politically incorrect to name an aging, cranky college basketball coach who served a nine game suspension during the regular season and whose team then barely makes the NCAA tournament- many saying undeservedly, but then goes on an improbable deep run in that tournament, and who knows maybe even goes all the way, to be named Coach of the Year? Hypothetically speaking.

Let me ask a hypothetical, no one in particular in mind of course. Would it be politically incorrect to name an aging, cranky college basketball coach who served a nine game suspension during the regular season and whose team then barely makes the NCAA tournament- many saying undeservedly, but then goes on an improbable deep run in that tournament, and who knows maybe even goes all the way, to be named Coach of the Year? Hypothetically speaking.
Still got to get past both Virginia and most likely North Carolina just to get to the championship game. And then that will probably be against Kansas. So lets just hold off on that talk for at least another week.

I love JB to death, but it was a fair criticism. Recently though...he's been money. Three Elite 8's in our last four tournament trips. Think about that!
I think that narrative of us "choking in the tourney" is old. We've been really good lately.

But he has now won his last three attempts. :)
Hell, we had people on here after the ACCT stating that if the team performed below expectations next season, Coyle should have JB on a short leash and perhaps shove him out the door before his announced retirement date.

But he has now won his last three attempts. :)

His coaching genius is really amazing. He's very active the entire time manipulating the player's behaviors but it's really hard to put a finger on it just what exactly he's doing as a coach. It was obvious when he was yelling at Howard but it's weird. I would pay big money to hear a court level microphone during a game just to get a feel for what the coaches are saying.

I think that narrative of us "choking in the tourney" is old. We've been really good lately.

Totally agree. We've had some early losses (Dayton, Marquette)...but so has everyone. JB has been great in March these last few years.

Totally agree. We've had some early losses (Dayton, Marquette)...but so has everyone. JB has been great in March these last few years.
Kansas and Arizona have as many early round upsets as us. And Pitt, forget it.

Few did everything he could to get the zone exteneded. JB had the stones to resist even with Wiltjer bombing away. Scared me but not JB. His use of FH to put Silent G down low is brilliant. JB won this game despite our poor offense. Perhaps JB was even responsible for Cooney driving more and toning it down on three pointers, which was also crucial to our razor thin victory. Next step I would like to see for Cooney is thread the needle bullet passing to our bigs instead of around the horn and decoy drives that end in dump offs. Double and triple teaming Sabonis was also brilliant. Sabonis was that big of a threat.

Conveniently Elite 8 appearances is no longer the useful arbitrary benchmark it was five years ago :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom