For those critical of our non conference schedule | Syracusefan.com

For those critical of our non conference schedule

SUMBA

2nd String
After completing our non conference games our SOS is 4.

That is all.

It really is underrated:
Top 10 teams- Florida
Potential top 3 conference finisher of a super 6 conference- Stanford
Middle of the pack super 6 conference teams- NC State, Va Tech
Good chance to win their conference- Bucknell, Tulane, Marshall

Jimmy's done a good job lately of scheduling mid-majors who have a great shot at winning their conference, so it helps our RPI and SOS big time.

That is all.

The problem is there are too few marquee games that ESPN would like to televise...which is why their talking heads heads cry about it like six month old babies all the time.

It really is underrated:
Top 10 teams- Florida
Potential top 3 conference finisher of a super 6 conference- Stanford
Middle of the pack super 6 conference teams- NC State, Va Tech
Good chance to win their conference- Bucknell, Tulane, Marshall

Jimmy's done a good job lately of scheduling mid-majors who have a great shot at winning their conference, so it helps our RPI and SOS big time.
Good points all around. NCSU could end up 3rd in ACC, Florida could easily knock off UK in the SEC, Marshall and Tulane will challenge for the CUSA crown, because Memphis has been TERRIBLE. Bucknell will be favored in the Patriot League. The P12 has looked wide open, but Stanford has been very impressive thus far and could win that league. Very underrated.

At the start of our OOC games we need to schedule 2-3 real cupcakes to get a feel of where we stand. The balance of the OOC should consist of good teams that we will be favored to beat. This will keep our SOS good and put fannies in the seats. JB has done a superb job over the last few years of scheduling. The scheduling goal is to get us into the NCAA tournament each and every year. With only a few exceptions over the last ~35 years we have met that goal. There is no way you could ask for better scheduling than what we have had. Let the talking heads dis us all they want, we remain a top 5-10 team in America year after year which is what brings recruits, which is what brings #1 rankings.

The problem is there are too few marquee games that ESPN would like to televise...which is why their talking heads heads cry about it like six month old babies all the time.

This is absolutely the case because really why does it matter to them to the point that they bellyache about it as if it were causing them some great harm.

It will be respected at the end of the season if a few of these teams pan out and actually have successful seasons.

UConn's out of conference schedule has been awful (way worse than ours). People are talking about ours because we are undefeated, and they lost to UCF.

Fact is when it comes to seeding March we still will have 5 or 6 very good OOC wins on our schedule. Which is more than UConn (and arguably Louisville) can say.

That is all.

I don't think a rating system that currently says Southern Miss is better than Kentucky, Ohio U. is better than Ohio St. and Northern Iowa is better than North Carolina can be trusted to rank SOS accurately at this time.

The Sagarin and Pomeroy ratings are closer to reflecting reality. SU's SOS ranks 199 and 177 in those systems.

There is nothing wrong with confirmation bias. I think Statsheet is pretty good and has us 13 right now in SOS. If you look closely at some of the schedules, you'll see that it's a pretty good indicator with #1 being Long Beach St. Take a look at their schedule.! http://statsheet.com/mcb/rankings/RPI

Sagarin

Pomeroy (see NCSOS column)

Appreciate it, I'm a huge numbers guy.

Interesting that Sagarin has all top 5 teams SOS so low being that we are actually the highest.

Pomeroy rankings are just weird. 10-2 Wisconsin #1? 8-3 Kansas in the top 10 because their SOS is strong despite them losing all the tough game. Also, what is the "luck" catagory about?

Funny thing about these SOS numbers, is that by beating all the teams we play we actually hurt our SOS. By Kansas losing, their SOS is higher because their opponents are ranked higher as a result.

I've asked this a few times, and I don't know if anyone knows the answer, but does the SOS the RPi uses adfjust for home/road? Because we have played some solid teams; I'm thinking Marshall and Va Tech (I think stanford is a level about that), but we also either played them at MSG or at home.

I would be pretty surprised if Tulane challenges for the C-USA. Their schedule is now only the second easiest in the country, because they played us last night. Definitely think Marshall will be there.

Interesting that Sagarin has all top 5 teams SOS so low being that we are actually the highest.

Just top 4, UNC is ahead of us.

Pomeroy seems to overrate Wisconsin every year, I fall for it and pick them to go to the elite 8, they lose before that, and I vow never to pick them again.

Kansas should probably be a little lower, since that win over tOSU was without Sullinger.

What do you think of this schedule?

Home:
Western Carolina
No. Colorado
Iowa
Colorado State
Ohio
Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Away:
St. Mary's
Iowa State
Old Dominion

Neutral:
Rice
Providence

Now THAT's a brutal schedule.

In case anyone was wondering, that's Northern Iowa's schedule, which is #5 according to the RPI.

I don't think a rating system that currently says Southern Miss is better than Kentucky, Ohio U. is better than Ohio St. and Northern Iowa is better than North Carolina can be trusted to rank SOS accurately at this time.

The Sagarin and Pomeroy ratings are closer to reflecting reality. SU's SOS ranks 199 and 177 in those systems.

good thing the committee doesn't look at those

pomeroy and sagarin weigh road games a lot more than the RPI

A rating system isn't any less questionable because the NCAA uses it.

I'd be more willing to believe Sagarin/Pomeroy because it's more congruent with what I see. (Looking at Kenpom rankings:)

Kentucky plays UNC (5), IU (6), Lville (12), Kansas (8)

UNC played Michigan State (14), UK (3), UNLV(24), Texas (22), Wisconsin (1)

Ohio State played Florida(7), Kansas(8), Duke (11)

Syracuse played Florida (7), Stanford (28) and V tech (42)

Basically, like I said a few days earlier, people are cherry-picking the rankings that make our SOS look good. You can throw out spin like how Bucknell might win the Patriot league, but our NC schedule is mediocre.

not saying which is better, just stating the fact that the committee only looks at one of them

I do know that none of them are perfect

A rating system isn't any less questionable because the NCAA uses it.

I'd be more willing to believe Sagarin/Pomeroy because it's more congruent with what I see. (Looking at Kenpom rankings:)

Kentucky plays UNC (5), IU (6), Lville (12), Kansas (8)

UNC played Michigan State (14), UK (3), UNLV(24), Texas (22), Wisconsin (1)

Ohio State played Florida(7), Kansas(8), Duke (11)

Syracuse played Florida (7), Stanford (28) and V tech (42)

Basically, like I said a few days earlier, people are cherry-picking the rankings that make our SOS look good. You can throw out spin like how Bucknell might win the Patriot league, but our NC schedule is mediocre.

You can pick whatever numbers make your arguement. End of the day, these teams are all scheduled before you have any idea how good they will be so how much fault can you put on the team that has them scheduled?

Kentucky for example have played UNC, IU, and Kansas to date but the rest of their schedule has been putrid. So while their top 3 games are better than our top 3 to date, the rest of their schedule drags their overall SOS down.

Wow, Kentucky's schedule really is ridiculously front loaded.

Not sure why Pomeory is out of touch for having a different SOS sytem than the NCAA.

But Sagarin and Pomeroy are not what the NCAA uses. The best in mimicking what the NCAA uses is Jerry Palm (collegerpi.com). And he has SU's SOS at 4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom