For those of you obsessed with attendance | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

For those of you obsessed with attendance

So we never get to open at home? Like, ever?

Will that be in the recruiting pitch?
Honestly why would anyone care? Everyone has to play 4 or 5 roadies.

Not the same scenario, but that early season Clemson game in 2019 is an indicator.

Coming off a good season and playing a really good team that we’d had great games with the previous two years…..before the 2019 season people were losing their minds and thinking we were going to beat them and overtake them and win the league that year.

That’s all it would take - a good team playing perceived big games.
I know, can’t come up with same scenario because we have no blood rival.

I know, can’t come up with same scenario because we have no blood rival.
Agreed, but….play a few big and good games against a good team and we will quickly be seeing them as a “new rival”…..see Miami in the 90s, Clemson a few years ago.

WVU and VT were rivals too because we played big and good games against them.

That’s all it would take.

Agreed, but….play a few big and good games against a good team and we will quickly be seeing them as a “new rival”…..see Miami in the 90s, Clemson a few years ago.

Agree , I picked PSU because they would bring 15,000 fans like the 20 plus ear fans in Pittsburgh.

Pitt just got their biggest crowd ever(70K).

Amazing what having a pretty good team and a rival that you play can do.

We mostly haven’t been good and we rarely play any of our rivals to the point where most don’t consider them rivals anymore.
That backyard rivalry is special because they’re just an hour or so apart. We don’t have that. It’s city vs “country”. Pitt also has Penn state. If NY was a football state with in state rivals Syracuse definitely would be in a better spot

Right but even if VT became our rivals, Morgantown and Blacksburg are a lot closer to each other. Proximity is everything and Syracuse/BC are isolated in the northeast

That backyard rivalry is special because they’re just an hour or so apart. We don’t have that. It’s city vs “country”. Pitt also has Penn state. If NY was a football state with in state rivals Syracuse definitely would be in a better spot
Agreed. But I think Cuse fans would latch onto any program with clout as a “rival”, if we merely had a good team and a chance to beat them in a game that felt like it mattered.

Right but even if VT became our rivals, Morgantown and Blacksburg are a lot closer to each other. Proximity is everything and Syracuse/BC are isolated in the northeast
We don’t even need them to us as their rival.

See Duke in basketball. They’ve got a rival. That didn’t stop “the rivalry begins” t-shirts from being all over the Dome when we started playing them…..because we were good and playing big games against them. That first year in the ACC, at least.

Win games

Advertise/Market

Connect with the community

Three things we don’t do currently. Syracuse is full of great fans. The program just hasn’t earned it for nearly 25 years. Thats the bottomline.

You can have the “only act in town” argument, but eventually i’d rather spend a saturday watching better college football and culture at a bar.

Eventually.

Win games

Advertise/Market

Three things we don’t do currently. Syracuse is full of great fans. The program just hasn’t earned it for nearly 25 years. Thats the bottomline.

You can have the “only act in town” argument, but eventually i’d rather spend a saturday watching better college football and culture at a bar.

Eventually.

And it’s really getting close to that line………

I mean there’s a few games this Saturday I’m bummed I’m missing….if we get blown out by Louisville……….it’ll add to that sentiment

I agree, The NYS Fair isn't impacting attendance. But, good lord! You might as well throw in; "there's a sale at Penney's" as well.

People are taking their kids to school on a Saturday night at 8 p.m.? Really? How many weeks have parents known in advance when school starts? Let alone that school starts 3 days later. That one takes the cake right there relative to lame excuses.

The fact of the matter is, people find the time to do the things that are important/matter to them. And, unlike us diehards, going to an SU football game, regardless if it's opening night, etc., isn't currently even on the radar for most folks/casuals. That is how insignificant the current state of Syracuse Football is in the general community.

I’m sure when he says school he means college. Not freakin hs or elementary school.

yeah attendance at tex-ok always had an issue with the state fair literally right there..

I mentioned this when buying tickets but I, and presumably many others on this board, would pay for X amount of season tickets if ensured others would be in those seats on game days.

I agree, The NYS Fair isn't impacting attendance. But, good lord! You might as well throw in; "there's a sale at Penney's" as well.

People are taking their kids to school on a Saturday night at 8 p.m.? Really? How many weeks have parents known in advance when school starts? Let alone that school starts 3 days later. That one takes the cake right there relative to lame excuses.

The fact of the matter is, people find the time to do the things that are important/matter to them. And, unlike us diehards, going to an SU football game, regardless if it's opening night, etc., isn't currently even on the radar for most folks/casuals. That is how insignificant the current state of Syracuse Football is in the general community.
I pointed out the three big conflicts this particular weekend every year. People are out of town, trip, getting in the last weekend at camp, on the boat….; taking their kids to college, or weddings. You really think those events aren’t real conflicts?

I like what Syracuse has done last year and this year so far with the students. They basically hired someone to run the student section and it shows. The students will show and be rowdy.

I’ll never understand why Cuse football hasn’t played a marketing angle and do something with the Bills. Buffalo is a couple hours drive, sure. But that’s enough for friends, families, groups, etc…to make a trip to Cuse for the day for a game. There aren’t that many die hards or big Cuse fans in Buffalo. As say a Rochester, Cuse, Utica, Binghamton or Albany. The Bills have proven with Bills mafia, you win and there is a die hard fan base waiting to be tapped into in upstate NY. Hell even when the Bills sucked they have the best fans in the NFL. Just look at our basketball team when we are good, we have some of the best fans in the country. Almost 40k for a basketball game is insane. We need to tap into marketing like the Bills. Do some sort of partnership with the Bills, try and get some of their fans to be Cuse fans as well. Overall the marketing and promotion for Cuse football is always pretty bad. There’s so much to be desired with them

Don't suck for 20 years, and don't open against a team who has dominated us for the past few years and people may show. It's not rocketship science.
Disagree that the opponent is the issue here. This is a more exciting game than a cupcake team as the home opener. A beautiful Labor Day weekend is still the top factor for any reduced attendance IMO, and yes us sucking for 20 years doesn't help.

Agreed and folks I would wager 50 thousand of those fans were from West Virginia.

Win games

Advertise/Market

Eventually.
And the thing is, if you win enough you don't even really have to do the second and third things on your list.

If SU was a perennial 8-9 win program we'd easily average 45K+. Because that's precisely what we saw the last time we were that caliber a program, and we did very little marketing or connecting back then.

Hell, we only need to look back 3 years to see what's possible.

50K for Clemson
45K for Pitt
43K for BC

And those last two were when we sat at 3-3 and 3-5 respectively.

We drew 43K for Louisville in 2018 after we got to 7-2.

This community is dying to support a good program.

I pointed out the three big conflicts this particular weekend every year. People are out of town, trip, getting in the last weekend at camp, on the boat….; taking their kids to college, or weddings. You really think those events aren’t real conflicts?

Honestly, no I do not. In regards to weddings, how can you really quantify this? How many weddings are there this weekend? And, even if there are numerous, who is to really say those particular weddings indeed actually take away from any/many true tangible amount of folks attending?

Since you've subsequently clarified specifically, taking their kids to 'college,' I still find that somewhat amusing. Most colleges are and have been in session for at least a week if not two already. So what is the conflict? Not to mention, besides arriving freshman, how many parents consume themselves with bringing their kids back to college their sophomore, junior or senior years?

Again, IMO, just more lame excuses. Bottom line is, when it comes to SU Football nowadays, "it just doesn't matter" to many in the local community.

There's reasons why gigantic, successful, leaders-of-their-industry still advertise. You want to be THE show in town. Football is far and away the #1 sport in this country and while you can tell me popwarner-mightymight-HS football is down in NYS, that doesn't mean people don't want to go watch it.

You have to advertise when you suck. You have to advertise when you stink. You have to advertise when you're good. You have to advertise when you're a F4-caliber team.

There's a LOT else that you have to do depending on where your team falls in the suck-stink-good-great meter, but you have to advertise. That's America, baby.

There's reasons why gigantic, successful, leaders-of-their-industry still advertise. You want to be THE show in town. Football is far and away the #1 sport in this country and while you can tell me popwarner-mightymight-HS football is down in NYS, that doesn't mean people don't want to go watch it.

You have to advertise when you suck. You have to advertise when you stink. You have to advertise when you're good. You have to advertise when you're a F4-caliber team.

There's a LOT else that you have to do depending on where your team falls in the suck-stink-good-great meter, but you have to advertise. That's America, baby.

You can advertise all you want, however, in the end you still have to deliver, and a quality product at that. Otherwise, people will simply tune it out and won't bother. Along the lines of; 'fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom