For those of you who missed it Saturday...UCONN's final first half possession Saturday... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

For those of you who missed it Saturday...UCONN's final first half possession Saturday...

Who's bitching? Pointing out the stats.

I shouldn't have implied you were, but I'm not sure you can argue that P and DM inherited programs that were even remotely close at the time. You can be frustrated with DM and it's certainly fair to be upset with his record. But to compare what P has done with a program that was clearly going along at a pretty good clip to what DM has done with a program that was in a massive sink hole is not particularly fair.

Yeah, when we went to bowl games - and beat teams like Auburn, K-State, and Pitt and Va Tech.
I was in Scottsdale ten years ago for the Insight Bowl - had a lot of fun.
I think you're the one who advised me to let it go and to move on.
Right?

We get it. You were a fan of P. Fine. But don't try to tell any of us who were fans during his entire tenure that some (many) of his sideline decision were headscratchers.

Rutgers '93. End of half. We are in the "two mintue offesne". W e have an incomplete pass. Clock stops. We can't get the play off in time and half to call a time out. After the time out we still can't get the play off in time and get a delay of game penalty. In the two minute offense, where you call several plays in a row and most of them are just about sending a maximum number of guys out and hitting the first guy open. We went on to win the game fortunately. But I'll never forget that sequence.

Wait...they had all three TOs with :35 left? No ridiculous time outs four minutes into the game?

Impressive.

virginia tech 2000 in the dome. nunes dying for them to call a play tick tock tick tock

memory is fading but i remember nunes with his arms out freaking out along with everyone else in the dome

good times

I still remember SU with a 14-3 lead and getting a blocked punt with about 1:30 left in the half. The coaches called ultra conservative plays to set up a FG for a kicker who had proven by that point in the season that anything beyond 40 yds. was iffy at best. I can't find the play by play but I'm pretty sure they lost yards and the FG kicker predictably missed.

I think you're the one who advised me to let it go and to move on.

Right?

Was that after you started a thread crowing about their season opening victory over UMass?

So who's going to be your new coach in 2013 or 2014?

Hopefully not P. But it's anyone's guess. Most of our anger is directed at DeLeone. I've advocated for his immediate removal after the Rutgers game. If Addazzio (who a lot us wanted when P was hired) comes to the Rent and beats us it is going to get even uglier than it is now.

We'll see who has the last laugh...when we march up into the Dome armed with 26 unused timeouts in our back pocket.
Maybe he's trying to atone for uselessly blowing all of those TOs when he was here. We certainly could have used more.

I still remember SU with a 14-3 lead and getting a blocked punt with about 1:30 left in the half. The coaches called ultra conservative plays to set up a FG for a kicker who had proven by that point in the season that anything beyond 40 yds. was iffy at best. I can't find the play by play but I'm pretty sure they lost yards and the FG kicker predictably missed.
i just remember a lot of yelling

Hopefully not P. But it's anyone's guess. Most of our anger is directed at DeLeone. I've advocated for his immediate removal after the Rutgers game. If Addazzio (who a lot us wanted when P was hired) comes to the Rent and beats us it is going to get even uglier than it is now.

I'd take a peek at that guy coaching Stony Brook.

Was that after you started a thread crowing about their season opening victory over UMass?

Apparently you missed the point of that post.

Let me explain.

After noting the UConn win I continued with something like "okay, calm down, just having a bit of fun with all of you."

The purpose of the post was to get all you haters riled up and to make it clear that that was the only purpose of the post.

Obviously you missed the joke.

But that is not surprising since the haters seem to have a remarkable tendency to ignore fact.

I wonder if they also believe that the Department of Labor is now cooking the reduced unemployment figures? Or that rape victims can biologically end an unwanted pregnancy? Just sayin.

Yeah, I remember beating Va Tech in the Dome on that great throw by McNabb and beating Va Tech - ranked in the top ten - in 2002 in 3OT.

Those were fun times.

I hope they come back soon.

P was a good coach that was handed a very good team (20-4 in the first 2 years) and thank god for him he got McNabb. A decent X and O guy but not a good in game thinker. Too many go to hyperbole when it comes to P to prove their point I suppose.

Yeah, DeLeone was awful.

I remember at the end Reyes and Rhodes rushing for nearly 1000 yards each. I remember how against BC Rhodes opened with a long 70 yard TD run and then how Ferri came into the game had over 140 yards rushing against BC. I remember the brilliant games that Reyes had for two plus years including that long run on national TV against Auburn and the five TD game on national TV against ND in 2003.

I remember how Dee Brown and James Mungro had 1000 yard seasons toward the end.

I remember how under DeLeone Donnie McPherson became a star QB and how we went the Sugar Bowl and then all of the bowls that followed.

I remember Todd Philcox and Marvin Graves and Don McNabb and even Kevin Mason and Troy Nunes.

Yeah, DeLeone was awful - glad we don't have to have those days again.

Yeah, DeLeone was awful.

I remember at the end Reyes and Rhodes rushing for nearly 1000 yards each. I remember how against BC Rhodes opened with a long 70 yard TD run and then how Ferri came into the game had over 140 yards rushing against BC. I remember the brilliant games that Reyes had for two plus years including that long run on national TV against Auburn and the five TD game on national TV against ND in 2003.

I remember how under DeLeone Donnie McPherson became a star QB and how we went the Sugar Bowl and then all of the bowls that followed.

I remember Todd Philcox and Marvin Graves and Don McNabb and even Kevin Mason and Troy Nunes.

Hold on, I sense just a hint of sarcasm.

Yeah, DeLeone was awful.

You bring up good points however most people only remember how it was at the end. I personally think the game passed them bye and they didnt adjust well. But however you look at it, it doesnt matter because they are lining up on the opposite sideline and all i care about it beating the crap out of them when they visit the dome next friday.

There were obviously a lot of good times with P&D, but there were also a lot of bad times, particularly at the end. It is well-documented that the end of his tenure here was impacted heavily by the administration (Jake and Buzz), but like odpinepoint alludes to above, P&D couldn't/wouldn't adjust their system to fit our declining recruiting, such as going with a wide-open offense, a la Mike Leech or June Jones. SU just didn't have the horses to play the '80s/'90s offense.

I thought they did a decent job towards the end, but let's not pretend it was all peaches and cream with them. Like I said before in this thread, SU suffered more massive blowouts under P than in any other point in its history. Even GRobs teams didn't get blown out like SU did under P. If his teams got down big early, they often just quit.

i usually don't care for uconn fans but i make exceptions for anyone who references the most underrated movie of all time. relax, have a cream soda

Yeah, DeLeone was awful.

I'm not sure if you knew that you were responding to a UConn fan. Maybe you did. But I don't think you'll get any traction trying to educate them on Deleone's accomplishments at SU. They still don't think college football was really a sport until 2005. Deleone wasn't here at that point.

I'm not sure if you knew that you were responding to a UConn fan. Maybe you did. But I don't think you'll get any traction trying to educate them on Deleone's accomplishments at SU. They still don't think college football was really a sport until 2005. Deleone wasn't here at that point.

Good point.

There were obviously a lot of good times with P&D, but there were also a lot of bad times, particularly at the end. It is well-documented that the end of his tenure here was impacted heavily by the administration (Jake and Buzz), but like odpinepoint alludes to above, P&D couldn't/wouldn't adjust their system to fit our declining recruiting, such as going with a wide-open offense, a la Mike Leech or June Jones. SU just didn't have the horses to play the '80s/'90s offense.

I thought they did a decent job towards the end, but let's not pretend it was all peaches and cream with them. Like I said before in this thread, SU suffered more massive blowouts under P than in any other point in its history. Even GRobs teams didn't get blown out like SU did under P. If his teams got down big early, they often just quit.

There were few "bad times." There were many, many, many great times. Pasqualoni and DeLeone were great for the program.

The eight years that have followed have simply underscored that fact.

The BS about the scores of a few losses - is just that BS. A loss was a loss regardless of the score.

I don't recall the haters conceding that the loss to Florida State in 2004 or the loss to Auburn at Auburn on national TV in 2002 were really great losses - that the coaches should have been commended for how the team competed.

The fact is that after SU got blown out by Va Tech that one year, the Orange came back and beat the Hokies two years in a row - including a great game in 2002 - that's what's important - not the score of a few games.

There was one bad year - 2002 when the Orange won I think four games - with losses to BYU and Auburn and others.

The final year was 6-6 with a bowl - not great, but not bad and with what the coaches had to work with - with no money in the program - the season was a success.

Blow-outs in bowls happen all the time - see Clemson last year.

I am very content with Marrone and look forward to success in the future, but the BS on this board about P&D has been and remains nonsense.

And once again I didn't raise the issue - the haters raised the issue - so beat them up about doing so.