For those who are burying Cooney thinking | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

For those who are burying Cooney thinking

Given that TC was used almost exclusively to spell the other guards, it would appear that JB didn't have the basketball knowledge that "some people on this board" have either.

Or maybe the Hall of Fame coach played a fourth-year starter and senior at one guard, and an NBA lottery pick who could very well be the Rookie of the Year at the other guard for most of the game?

He wasn't needed for big minutes last year. The kids in front of him deserved to play a lot. Has nothing to do with any type of basketball knowledge and doesn't say that Cooney is/was a bad player. He wasn't needed, simple as that.

This screed against the impossibility of prediction would be a little more compelling if you weren't using it to defend your own (quite aggressive) prediction.

I was decidedly in the skeptical about Cooney camp coming into the season. I thought and may have even said that if he was the starting 2g all season, the team was looking at a fairly low (for SU) ceiling. It looks like I was wrong.

I don't know. To me the lesson of Cooney's improvement is much like the lesson of Rautins' and Fab Melo's and Demetris Nichols' and so many others: we all should be damned cautious about declaring any player a lost cause, and sweeping statements that any young SU player will never amount to anything are more likely to make the speaker look stupid than anything.

I don't really want to engage in the semantic fight about who's a "realist" because it's dumb, but I will say this. It is of course true that you cannot judge a process by outcomes - sometimes you do everything right and end up getting the answer wrong, while someone else does everything wrong and gets the answer right. But it takes a heck of a lot of hubris to claim that getting the answer wrong is itself somehow a vindication.
... teach me Life.

Some people just hate being wrong. In this case some pessimists are upset, and probably hopes he goes into a slump. I never understood why people gave up on Cooney in the first place. Probably the same people who roasted Andy Rautins his Freshmen year.

Some people just hate being wrong. In this case some pessimists are upset, and probably hopes he goes into a slump. I never understood why people gave up on Cooney in the first place. Probably the same people who roasted Andy Rautins his Freshmen year.

Cooney is doing great for a DIII caliber player.

In this case I'm glad I was wrong. When he hit that three on the O-O-B play, I came out of my rather comfortable seat.

I think we have some people here re-writing history on 2012-23. But that's alright. Doesn't matter now.

Given our apparent lack of offensive production from our Bigs, Cooney and Ennis have a lot of heavy lifting to do.