Forced to listen on the radio | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Forced to listen on the radio

I'm out and about a lot on Saturdays (years and years of being a taxi service for youth sports) so I listen to a broad range of radio PxP guys. He's not "pretty good". He's replacement level.

His biggest flaw is not giving the down and distance nearly enough. Forget about the accuracy of it, he just doesn't do it for stretches at a time, which is mind blowing.
i listened to him on sirius on Saturday and he's not good at all on giving a picture of what's going on in the game. Very confusing to figure out. The only thing that helped me was listening to the crowd noise TBH

Bob Socci of the Patriots is roughly 100x better.

I found Logan so frustrating that I sent him a letter instructing him on how to do it (I certainly couldn't do better, but I knew what he wasn't doing that I needed him to do).

Every pass play was "The throw... CAUGHT!" followed by 10 seconds of silence. Short? Long? Touchdown? Tackled immediately? Never knew.

Logan last did play-by-play in 1999 if I'm not mistaken. Listened to a lot of radio back then cause nothing was on TV and I don't recall one way or the other if he was good or bad. That's a good thing because it would stand out to me if he was horribly unlistenable. Park is horribly unlistenable.

i listened to him on sirius on Saturday and he's not good at all on giving a picture of what's going on in the game. Very confusing to figure out. The only thing that helped me was listening to the crowd noise TBH

Bob Socci of the Patriots is roughly 100x better.
Socci is fantastic. To go from Gil Santos to him is an embarrassment of riches for Pats fans. Two legends.

You could try WAER's broadcast. Ostensibly you'd be listening to the future Sean McDonough/Mike Tirico/Marv Albert.

I can no longer get Matt Park's broadcast on internet radio (eg, TuneIn App), apparently it is blacked out. But I can get WAER on TuneIn - they have a 1 to 2 hour postgame show after each game.
Yeah, I grew listening to WAER and that's my choice now, if I have to listen on the radio.

This is why I don't understand why people loved Doug Logan so much. All he did was scream, at the expense of sharing what was happening.
Though frustrating at times, the fan in me loved Doug Logan and loves Matt Park. “McNamara wants 3, GIVE ‘IM 3!”, or “What do you think!”. I love a reflection of what I’m feeling and to hear a fellow fan I can connect with on the call.
Now listening to student radio. That sucks.

That him teaching a class doesn't ensure his students don't do a better job.
It was asked “what he was taught in Newhouse” and I can answer with confidence that he’s the one teaching it now.

When SU plays a later game and when i'm driving up to the Dome I usually have another game on from Sirius and other college programs have legit professional announcers that are way better than Matt Park.

Your jaw would hit the floor, there is a huge difference. If you have SIRIUS radio some Saturday and your driving around, just bop around the dial and listen for yourself.

I'm sure Park is a nice guy and I know he teaches up there so he isn't going anywhere but he does stink. It's a college radio type broadcast

When SU plays a later game and when i'm driving up to the Dome I usually have another game on from Sirius and other college programs have legit professional announcers that are way better than Matt Park.

Your jaw would hit the floor, there is a huge difference. If you have SIRIUS radio some Saturday and your driving around, just bop around the dial and listen for yourself.

I'm sure Park is a nice guy and I know he teaches up there so he isn't going anywhere but he does stink. It's a college radio type broadcast
I dont know.. I listened to probably 10 other games sat on the way home.. they all were vastly worse..

I grew up on Joel Mareniss. He seemed really good when I was young. This was the time when you were lucky to get one game a year on TV.

I grew up on Joel Mareniss. He seemed really good when I was young. This was the time when you were lucky to get one game a year on TV.
fball or bowling shows?

It was asked “what he was taught in Newhouse” and I can answer with confidence that he’s the one teaching it now.
Great. Sounds like he doesn't practice what he teaches. Maybe he's a great teacher. Maybe he isn't. I'm sure everyone on this board can say they had success because of some teachers and in spite of others. Maybe he could stand to take some notes from some of his students.

Great. Sounds like he doesn't practice what he teaches. Maybe he's a great teacher. Maybe he isn't. I'm sure everyone on this board can say they had success because of some teachers and in spite of others. Maybe he could stand to take some notes from some of his students.
I was just stating facts. Stop being so cranky.

Moss the boss brings it across.

just a random question.. how many other radio sources for games do you listen to to compare how good he is? While i know he does have his moments he is actually pretty good.. if you have xm pick any random day and listen to 4-5 other games and then rate him.. I would say about 50-60% of the radio teams are barely HS level. Most of the SEC ones are 100% homer stations. He roots for the team as well clearly but also is pretty objective.
He has a good voice and is entertaining at times with his excitably but his play-by-play is god awful! it is so bad

Jimmy Lee up to the line:

The shot

Dirty but good!

Joel was good PxP and was a good guy. However, one very un-PC call is a memory burn for me. One game he got Rudy Hackett and Chris Sease confused. I'm paraphrasing, but he said "these days, it tough to tell the players apart with those Afro hairdos!"

I haven't listened to Matt Park other than the NC State game when I was driving at the time...I was able to follow what was happening pretty well. Seems like I'm in the minority though

I haven't listened to Matt Park other than the NC State game when I was driving at the time...I was able to follow what was happening pretty well. Seems like I'm in the minority though

Would have been harder if you listened for Clemson.

"2nd and 6. Shrader takes the snap, short pass to Tucker, gain of about 3. Decision time for the Orange. " (Me: Ummm, it's 3rd and 3, go for it?).

"3rd and 2, Clemson on the Orange 33. He is stopped, inches short, and they're going to measure." (Me: Yeah, but they're just going to go for it on 4th). Park: The ruling on the field stands, Orange football!

It was a little frustrating, but on the bright side, he was giving down and distance.

I guess we all have our pet peeves, etc. Now, not advising of down and distance, yards of gain/loss or the like on a radio broadcast is far different then not doing so on a TV broadcast. TV has the permanent graphic nowadays on the screen in some format style depending upon the network.

On a somewhat aside, the thing that drives me batty is when our Dome PA guy consistently announces the score. Like thanks, but we can see the score on the plethora of scoreboards in the Dome. But, that's me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom