Fran Brown Coaching Staff | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown Coaching Staff

I will let my source in the SU IT department know when I see him at indoor soccer this Saturday.

My point was double faceted. We have some very nice homes in solvay and it would be awesome if one of the SU coaches felt comfortable enough to live there and mingle with the masses. JD and FM have some sprawling remote estates that feel nothing like the rest of CNY.

What the heck feels like the rest of CNY, cause it ain't Solvay. That spread could just as easily be in Elbridge or Tully. And why would anyone with choices want to buy a house in an area that was a former chemical dumping ground?

Last edited:
True, that's why I said rich CNYers. But things aren't better elsewhere. One way or another you're going to pay. That same house and acreage somewhere else could be $10-15 million rather than 1.5 million. And property taxes would be the same or more once you figure in the higher assessment. At least in Jamesville, you're going to get decent schools. He'd have to send his kids to private school elsewhere. Another expense.

Where I am, $1.5 million gets you a 2K sq ft house and 1/10 acre of land. Coach could have horses here!

yep we all have choices, but Tennessee property taxes on that place are probably around $1000 and with no state income tax.

I will let my source in the SU IT department know when I see him at indoor soccer this Saturday.

My point was double faceted. We have some very nice homes in solvay and it would be awesome if one of the SU coaches felt comfortable enough to live there and mingle with the masses. JD and FM have some sprawling remote estates that feel nothing like the rest of CNY.
If you're sad that Fran isn't your neighbor just say that.

If you're sad that Fran isn't your neighbor just say that.
A little off the mark on that.

I will say, the Solvay bashing here is a little weird. Some of you love to put down the area. Every town has its good parts and bad.

Solvay is not as close to the university as is Jamesville.​

Jamesville makes it more convenient to go to and from work and yet, historically not all position coaches lived in Jamesville or DeWitt. Since the Head Coach often entertains players and recruits, it makes logistically beneficia.

Solvay schools vs JD? Really?
How many African American kids in Solvay schools? How many kids with locally famous parents at Solvay schools?
How long of a commute to SU from Solvay,
especially when the 81 project gets underway?
Probably 15 minutes from his new home.
Solvay doesn’t feel like the rest of CNY either.

How many African American kids in Solvay schools? How many kids with locally famous parents at Solvay schools?
Solvay doesn’t feel like the rest of CNY either

While there are a few nice outdated houses in Solvay, the rest of it is pretty tired. Jamesville/Dewitt is the best place for coaches

While there are a few nice outdated houses in Solvay, the rest of it is pretty tired. Jamesville/Dewitt is the best place for coaches
There are some very nice historic areas that get lost in all the noise:

Solvay doesn’t feel like the rest of CNY either.
I think there would be more African American kids in Solvay schools than in JD, but it's a guess. But my point was the area not specific schools. West Genesee and Westhill are nice larger and smaller schools, respectively, if you're talking quality of education in western suburbs... especially if his kids want to get into music/band. And it's about a 15 minute ride to the Dome from Solvay/Westvale just using local roads. Also closer to Wegmans and Fish Cove during Lent. I would want to stay the heck away from the Dewitt Wegmans.

Excluding Piscataway.
Ah, Piscataway, on the banks of the old Raritan! I lived there for about five years in the 1980's. I joined the Jaycees, my wife helped start a neighborhood watch group, so a town councilman stopped by and asked if I'd like to be appointed to some board or other. Happily, I was able to say, "Thanks, but I'm moving back to Syracuse." Unfortunately, the job I moved back for didn't last forever.

I think there would be more African American kids in Solvay schools than in JD, but it's a guess. But my point was the area not specific schools. West Genesee and Westhill are nice larger and smaller schools, respectively, if you're talking quality of education in western suburbs... especially if his kids want to get into music/band. And it's about a 15 minute ride to the Dome from Solvay/Westvale just using local roads. Also closer to Wegmans and Fish Cove during Lent. I would want to stay the heck away from the Dewitt Wegmans.
Defend your turf. Love it

This thread is weird
extremely weird, coach who makes a nice chunk of change and works a ton of hours, buys a big house close to his place of employment because it makes sense for many reasons. Also has a young family and if he wants to run over to school for an event and back to work it can easily be done. In addition, I doubt Fran has been working for peanuts the last 3-4 years as well. I am sure Georgia paid him very well and doubt he is sweating the taxes while employed at Syracuse. Not sure what he makes but I am sure he can afford the house.

Again, extremely weird.

Solvay? GTFOH and I lived there for my first 6-7 years of life

extremely weird, coach who makes a nice chunk of change and works a ton of hours, buys a big house close to his place of employment because it makes sense for many reasons. Also has a young family and if he wants to run over to school for an event and back to work it can easily be done. In addition, I doubt Fran has been working for peanuts the last 3-4 years as well. I am sure Georgia paid him very well and doubt he is sweating the taxes while employed at Syracuse. Not sure what he makes but I am sure he can afford the house.

Again, extremely weird.

Solvay? GTFOH and I lived there for my first 6-7 years of life
haters know GIF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors