Fran Brown, Syracuse Football New Head Coach, Official Announcement | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown, Syracuse Football New Head Coach, Official Announcement

Hoping Fran can help open the NYC pipeline a bit more. Would love to be the destination of choice for top prospects from places like Erasmus and CTK consistently again.
Take CTK off the list. Their program is running on fumes. No talent left.
Cardinal Hayes is the NYC Catholic school champs again - Elijah Fuentes is a Hayes man. That’s where we want to be.

Marrone was an NFL guy who left to take an NFL HC gig.

Mullen wasn’t an option. He was a phantom. A creation of the internet. No one actually saw him on campus. JW didn’t talk to him.

And let’s be real, if there’s a super league coming then SU ain’t in it. Doesn’t matter if we’re 6-6 or 9-3.
SU was Marrone’s dream job, was it not?

The gaslighting continues. And if he wasn’t an option (he was), that’s an indictment of JW for not considering one of the best coaches available. A coach who spent this season scouting our league. Pick your poison.

That doesn’t sound very optimistic now, does it?

Marrone was an NFL guy who left to take an NFL HC gig.

Mullen wasn’t an option. He was a phantom. A creation of the internet. No one actually saw him on campus. JW didn’t talk to him.

And let’s be real, if there’s a super league coming then SU ain’t in it. Doesn’t matter if we’re 6-6 or 9-3.
If we get good we will be in it.

1. Marrone went 25-25, with two 8 win bowl seasons after 10-37 the prior four years with the offense and defense being ranked 100 or lower every year. In 2012 SU had the 17th ranked offense, 47th ranked defense.1 That’s why he got hired, that was a great rebuild.

SU is 18-19 with one game remaining and two bowl seasons the last three years. if he’s 11 wins better over the next three years that’s 29-7. If he left after that, who is going to complain. If all he does is stay at .500 he hasn’t improved the program.

2. You want to step up the issue is taking an improved roster to the next level that can sustain through a full season, Brown’s skill set fits that requirement.

3. Why would Mullen be anymore likely to stay? Oh, and he was never in play.
1. So we agree what Marrone did was enough.

2. By the time there’s a next level, Brown will be gone.

3. He was in play. He would be more likely to stay because of job security. We’re not going to make the same mistake we made with Pasqualoni and Mullen knows full well how fickle the administrations and fanbases are at the top programs.

Michigan is dominating the Massachusetts prep world recruiting wise fwiw. I don’t know who the point person is but they’ve done laps up here.

Dillon (before he blew his knee out), Zinter (best guard in country imo) all came from up here. If he can lean into this I really love it

Cheating scandal is as dumb as the patriots spy gate one. Completely dumb
Yepp. They made in roads, and show up, a lot.

Not just Michigan. Lewis Cine was a Mass kid. He moved in with his Uncle in Texas, because he knew Mass kids can often be discounted. He went to Georgia. So did Xavier Truss( RI) . You need to know these kids BEFORE the big guys do. Need to keep more closer to home.

The gaslighting continues. And if he wasn’t an option (he was), that’s an indictment of JW for not considering one of the best coaches available. A coach who spent this season scouting our league. Pick your poison.

What is your obsession with gaslighting?

Are you suggesting that Mullen wanted to coach at SU and we cocked it up? And you know this how? Direct conversation with Wildhack?

I sincerely don’t get your perspective. Were we supposed to force Mullen to coach here?

Are you suggesting that Mullen wanted to coach at SU and we cocked it up? And you know this how? Direct conversation with Wildhack?

I sincerely don’t get your perspective. Were we supposed to force Mullen to coach here?
Who cares about Mullen, people need to get over it.

What does “he was an option” mean? As in he wasn’t coaching right now and available or he was seriously interested in the job?

The coordinators be hires are going to be HUGE. If he hits on both coordinators we are going to have a great season as early as next season with our schedule. We aren’t gonna have to worry about Coach Brown bringing athletes. I know people know he’s an ELITE recruiter but it’s still gonna surprise some people the talent he’s going to bring here pretty much immediately. Expect some big splashes to transfer and commit here pretty quickly once Coach Brown gets things going. I’m not saying 5 stars but guys that typically wouldn’t even look Cuse’s way are gonna end up here. We are gonna have some do the best recruiting classes/transfers we’ve had in the modern era here at Cuse. Very confident about that. Just need to coordinators to scheme right and put these guys in the right positions and we’ll be off and running
I hope you know what the heck you’re talking about, because you got my attention. Good thing I am about to go to the gym because I’m pumped up! Christmas May have come early. Go Cuse!

If we get good we will be in it.
Maybe, maybe not. If the SEC and B1G poach some teams and form a defacto super league we’re in or out based on their whims. We’re not going to be a perennial playoff contender no matter who coaches here, so if they want us for our brand then that’s cool. We’re not needed, we’re an accessory.

yeah either way, Mullen did not want the job, takes two to tango. Good lord, so dumb

Indiana AD messed up as well, he didn't hire Mullen, Miss St, SD St!!! All of them incompetent boobs!!

3. He was in play. He would be more likely to stay because of job security. We’re not going to make the same mistake we made with Pasqualoni and Mullen knows full well how fickle the administrations and fanbases are at the top programs.
If he didn’t have a conversation with Wildhack, he wasn’t

Last edited:

Just calling it like I see it.

Yes. Read the thread.

My perspective is we had an opportunity to put SU football back on the map and preserve our future. Brown might be successful here (and there’s a good chance he will be), but if you care about being in the super league, his successor is more important.

Yeah, he turned a complete dumpster fire, the worst D-1 team, let alone major conference team, into a 8 win bowl team in two years.

That is not close to what Brown is walking into. For him to be an attractive candidate means he’s winning an average of 9 games a year and making noise on signing day, otherwise it’s just status quo.

Which means he’s done a great job and the school is in better position than when he came in. Win/win. Thank you for your service

Maybe, maybe not. If the SEC and B1G poach some teams and form a defacto super league we’re in or out based on their whims. We’re not going to be a perennial playoff contender no matter who coaches here, so if they want us for our brand then that’s cool. We’re not needed, we’re an accessory.
i don't even care anymore (As Phil Collins once said). If we build a successful football brand outside of that super league we'll still be a team the super league will schedule.

We're going to be a factor in some league in the next 100 years of footballing. It really doesn't matter, to me, if its in the super league or not because we'll still be able to run an operation.

I think the superleague has already happened in reality. We're hiring non coordinator guys as HC and that's fine with me. We can be a feeder of sorts (which is what the ACC leftovers will be). We can play for the Lambert against Pitt/BC/Army and be perfectly content.

Charlie Munger said, “The first rule of a happy life is low expectations. That's one you can easily arrange. And if you have unrealistic expectations, you're going to be miserable all your life."

What does “he was an option” mean? As in he wasn’t coaching right now and available or he was seriously interested in the job?
He was seriously interested in the job and we were seriously interested in hiring him. Read the thread. His representative reached out to JW. At one point, it looked like a done deal.

Just calling it like I see it.

Yes. Read the thread.

My perspective is we had an opportunity to put SU football back on the map and preserve our future. Brown might be successful here (and there’s a good chance he will be), but if you care about being in the super league, his successor is more important.
So your take on if he was in play is based on this thread. Got it.

Yeah, he turned a complete dumpster fire, the worst D-1 team, let alone major conference team, into a 8 win bowl team in two years.

That is not close to what Brown is walking into. For him to be an attractive candidate means he’s winning an average of 9 games a year and making noise on signing day, otherwise it’s just status quo.

Which means he’s done a great job and the school is in better position than when he came in. Win/win. Thank you for your service
Like I’ve been saying, he’s a short-term fix.