Frank Howard Suspended | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Frank Howard Suspended

What if the NCAA or professional league had to approve the doctors?

Again, you or i could use steroids to get over an injury, why not an athlete who is more likely to get them?
It’s about not giving anyone a competitive advantage. You or I aren’t competing in any organized/significant league where it matters.

NCAA-approved doctors? There would have to be a ton of them, nationwide. Still too easy to corrupt. And because everything still relies on subjective aspects of diagnosis, assessments could never be consistent from doc to doc. It’s too complicated, so the answer is just to make it simple and say No across the board.

This is what he will be remembered for. Frustrating. Ready for a refresh.

Sad way for him to go out. Four years on the court wiped out by one day off it. Gotta believe Frank would have been better than the 0-for-the evening Buddy put up, plus better D. This game was winnable.

with tonite's loss an ignominious ending to a syracuse career.

I'm going to miss his, uhhhhh, sometimes somewhat okay three point shooting, and...uhhhhhhh, there is probably other stuff, but I can't think of anything right now.

No inside info to what caused the suspension...but to answer your question anabolic steroids aren’t given to people to recover from injury. Corticosteroids like cortisone shot, prednisone, etc are given but are completely different and wouldn’t trigger any type of PED positive.

What are anabloic steroids given for?

It’s about not giving anyone a competitive advantage. You or I aren’t competing in any organized/significant league where it matters.

NCAA-approved doctors? There would have to be a ton of them, nationwide. Still too easy to corrupt. And because everything still relies on subjective aspects of diagnosis, assessments could never be consistent from doc to doc. It’s too complicated, so the answer is just to make it simple and say No across the board.

I thought steroids were banned because of their potential side-effects if taken in the amounts amateurs give to themselves and other athletes. the competitive advantage comes when one guy is following n the rules and the other guys isn't. it's the product of there being a ban, not the reason for it. Why can't the efforts to monitor their use be used to check for their excessive use? And they should be prescribed by the team doctors, which would answer to the NCAA or the league in the pros. There are a ton of them, just as many as there are teams.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/f...pionship_Site_Coordinator_Manual_20180710.pdf

NCAA only tests at its sanctioned championship events.
The rules dictate when you can get tested.
Since Syracuse plays tomorrow they could get tested after the game tomorrow.
After each round they can get tested at the NCAA’s discretion.
The NCAA can’t drug test during the regular season.

I don’t think this is correct according to the NCAA website that I just looked up.
Frequently Asked Questions about Drug Testing

Who is responsible for testing student-athletes?

The NCAA and its member schools share the responsibility of not only testing, but also educating student-athletes to prevent drug usage. The NCAA conducts testing at its championships, and year round on campus in Division I and II programs. In addition, the majority of institutions conduct their own institutional testing programs independent of NCAA drug testing. The NCAA spends more than $6 million annually on drug testing and education in an effort to deter the use of banned and harmful substances.

I'm astounded (maybe I shouldn't be) at the ignorance here of what anabolic steroids do and don't do for competitive athletes, how they're taken and how they help or don't help performance. They help you recover more quickly from muscle injuries but not ligament or tendon tears or strains and certainly not from surgery. They don't miraculously stabilize an unstable ankle or foot. They're typically taken in 6-week cycles (dianobol & deca are popular), and are usually stacked (taken together) to maximize results. Essentially, they're cycled to give the body a rest from the rapid growth they deliver and to give the kidneys, liver and naturally produced testosterone levels a chance to normalize.

Frank's season long recovery (it's pretty obvious that's what it was) resulted from surgery and a long, slow and probably very frustrating for him recovery. Steroids wouldn't be a factor to speed his return to health in that case. If however, if he blew out a pec or tweaked his back or pulled a hamstring and it wouldn't heal, a course of deca or dianobol likely would have helped him. If he was on a 6-week cycle, after three weeks the changes in his body would be obvious -- he'd be noticeably leaner with more muscle mass. To my eyes that didn't happen. In particular, his back would be bigger. That, also, didn't happen. Steroids wouldn't enable him to jump higher or shoot better. Perhaps it would have allowed him to get by some people and into the lane with a quicker first step and maybe he'd be quicker on his jumps but even that's debatable. It would have just made him bigger and stronger. Steroids increase the activity of fast twitch muscle fibers, which means he'd be able to recruit more muscle mass when he needed it. For example, no steroid cycle improves a baseball player's hand eye. What it does is gets his bat through the zone faster. For lifters, it makes three reps turn into eight at bigger numbers. In the parlance of lifters it increases volume and intensity like nothing else can.

However, HGH is another matter. It can be taken in short cycles to aid healing and recovery from surgery or instability in a joint. The telling point should have been when all of a sudden in the ACC tournament Frank was able to get in the lane, elevate better with more stability on his jump shot, things he couldn't do during the season. You don't go a whole season not being able to do the things you could before surgery and all of sudden miraculously in the end you can. I don't know for certain what he was taking and we'll likely never know but the idea that he was busted for smoking weed or using anabolics is crazy. The likelihood is he wanted to finish his career as best he could, he'd had enough of playing all season long with an injury that wouldn't heal knowing he could do more with a healthy ankle. The story in the Post Standard about how ready he was to do well in the tournament combined with his last two games is pretty much a tell that he took HGH. Any idea that he was somehow lacking in character or stupid or self-interested or irresponsible is just the rantings of a fan board. He was the team leader on the floor. People who say he was this, that and the other thing are actually saying that the whole team and the staff was deficient of character as well because they put their trust in him. The guy was hurt plain and simple. He likely gambled that the HGH, if that's what it was, would be out of his system in a week and the team and he would both be for the better. He probably missed the window by only a day or two. It wouldn't surprise me if the trainers and some of the staff knew.

The fault to me is Boeheim's, he's supposedly the adult in the room. All season long he kept on saying over and over again that Frank is improving slowly but he's getting there when with only a few exceptions it was obvious he wasn't. At lead guard, Boeheim had three choices: play Battle there (bad idea) or ride Frank (bad idea) or develop Carey (the best option). Under the circumstances, as some people here have said, he should have been a bit more patient and played Carey and somehow, no matter how painful, found a way to live through his mistakes. He could have done the same with Braswell, who produced nearly every time he was on the floor even if only in scrub time. In other words, when Frank showed he was struggling to get healthy, Boeheim should have lengthened his bench not shortened it.

Last edited:
I'm astounded (maybe I shouldn't be) at the ignorance here of what anabolic steroids do and don't do for competitive athletes, how they're taken and how they help or don't help performance. They help you recover more quickly from muscle injuries but not ligament or tendon tears or strains and certainly not from surgery. They don't miraculously stabilize an unstable ankle or foot. They're typically taken in 6-week cycles (dianobol & deca are popular), and are usually stacked (taken together) to maximize results. Essentially, they're cycled to give the body a rest from the rapid growth they deliver and to give the kidneys, liver and naturally produced testosterone levels a chance to normalize.

Frank's season long recovery (it's pretty obvious that's what it was) resulted from surgery and a long, slow and probably very frustrating for him recovery. Steroids wouldn't be a factor to speed his return to health in that case. If however, if he blew out a pec or tweaked his back or pulled a hamstring and it wouldn't heal, a course of deca or dianobol likely would have helped him. If he was on a 6-week cycle, after three weeks the changes in his body would be obvious -- he'd be noticeably leaner with more muscle mass. To my eyes that didn't happen. In particular, his back would be bigger. That, also, didn't happen. Steroids wouldn't enable him to jump higher or shoot better. Perhaps it would have allowed him to get by some people and into the lane with a quicker first step and maybe he'd be quicker on his jumps but even that's debatable. It would have just made him bigger and stronger. Steroids increase the activity of fast twitch muscle fibers, which means he'd be able to recruit more muscle mass when he needed it. For example, no steroid cycle improves a baseball player's hand eye. What it does is gets his bat through the zone faster. For lifters, it makes three reps turn into eight at bigger numbers. In the parlance of lifters it increases volume and intensity like nothing else can.

However, HGH is another matter. It can be taken in short cycles to aid healing and recovery from surgery or instability in a joint. The telling point should have been when all of a sudden in the ACC tournament Frank was able to get in the lane, elevate better with more stability on his jump shot, things he couldn't do during the season. You don't go a whole season not being able to do the things you could before surgery and all of sudden miraculously in the end you can. I don't know for certain what he was taking and we'll likely never know but the idea that he was busted for smoking weed or using anabolics is crazy. The likelihood is he wanted to finish his career as best he could, he'd had enough of playing all season long with an injury that wouldn't heal knowing he could do more with a healthy ankle. The story in the Post Standard about how ready he was to do well in the tournament combined with his last two games is pretty much a tell that he took HGH. Any idea that he was somehow lacking in character or stupid or self-interested or irresponsible is just the rantings of a fan board. He was the team leader on the floor. People who say he was this, that and the other thing are actually saying that the whole team and the staff was deficient of character as well because they put their trust in him. The guy was hurt plain and simple. He likely gambled that the HGH, if that's what it was, would be out of his system in a week and the team and he would both be for the better. He probably missed the window by only a day or two. It wouldn't surprise me if the trainers and some of the staff knew.

The fault to me is Boeheim's, he's supposedly the adult in the room. All season long he kept on saying over and over again that Frank is improving slowly but he's getting there when with only a few exceptions it was obvious he wasn't. At lead guard, Boeheim had three choices: play Battle there (bad idea) or ride Frank (bad idea) or develop Carey (the best option). Under the circumstances, as some people here have said, he should have been a bit more patient and played Carey and somehow, no matter how painful, found a way to live through his mistakes. He could have done the same with Braswell, who produced nearly every time he was on the floor even if only in scrub time. In other words, when Frank showed he was struggling to get healthy, Boeheim should have lengthened his bench not shortened it.

I am certainly among the ignorant on this subject and thank you and Oburgcuse for increasing my knowledge of it. My opinion was entirely based on the the statements i'd heard over the years that one of the advantages steroids give players is the ability to recover some injuries quickly and I've always wondered why that was bad. It seemed to me that it wasn't and that the problem was that the amounts administered by amateurs or shady physicians caused potentially dangerous side-effects and that that was the reason for the ban, not to protect the record book. The competitive advantage would come from the fact of the ban and the willingness of some to ignore it at their own physical risk.

You explanation that this is more likely to be HGH, which gets lumped together with steroids in conversations but iis rather different in tis nature is compelling. I still maintain that these are all medications that have a purpose and could be used for that purposed in a well-regulated environment. Frank regaining his skills before the season ended is not inherently unfair to the other team. the fact that he lost them was unfair to him and to us. In fact, as we look back on this season I think we will see it as the year Frank got hurt and it prevented us from having the season we anticipated, even if it wasn't the only factor.

I'm less ignorant about basketball and I've got to say that if Jalen Carey had taken better advantage of the playing time he was given he would have been given more of it and not less of it and the fact that didn't happen is on him. We've had a lot of freshmen see their playing time increased as the season went along because they played well when they were in there, with Buddy Boeheim being the latest example. Last year it was Dolezaj and, of course we used Brissett from day one. Some freshmen can contribute immediately. Some can't. I don't think that's on the coach.

Last edited:
4chan, 8chan, certain sub-Reddits and the various Incel/MRA sites are much worse, but I do agree that Twitter is flat-out awful.
I don't know what any of that means so I think I must be winning at life.

What id give to see a “best of” deleted posts from this thread

so did I miss something that it's become (verified) common knowledge this was for weed or some other selfish/dumb drug thing?

oh and also JB/FH hater #1 iommi blocked me on twitter :):)
some folks are so insecure, so thin-skinned that the toughguy yankee fan in them just isn't enough!! :p

so in short you don't think he took steroids but may have taken HGH. to help heal with his injury?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom