Frank Howard | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Frank Howard

Can someone please post the dead horse picture?

There is little if anything that can be said about Frank and/or his place on the team that hasn't already been written many different ways. Let's let it play out and see what we have.
Gladly.
images

images

images

We will see soon whether Frank has improved.
But two observations. Frank is only 20 years old - essentially the same as Moyer, Battle and Sidibe. Younger, lanky SU players sometimes improve season to season - so let's not assume Frank is only what we saw in his struggles last season at PG.

Second, Frank did show some moves late last season when he was not at PG. he was driving, using his size, and on occasions hitting some shots. It might help if his back court mate is a lead guard, or at least a G who takes a fair share of the role of initiating the offense. I expect Battle and Thorpe can do that.

This is by no means a prediction but I think we could be a lot better than expected this year (currently expected at bottom 3rd of acc 17-14 overall etc) and that Frank is the key to that.

For anyone who has managed people, especially talented people, you know that when they struggle or become a problem it presents a major conundrum. You need them and dumping your losses and starting anew is no easy way to go. I really like the approach JB is taking here even if there comes a lot of risk with it. Sending Frank with Tyus to media day is giving him a leadership responsibility and doing so publicly. Sometimes this is what is needed for getting what you need out of a talented young person and others of course it could be poisonous.

Based on Frank's improved shot form, his positive reaction per media day pics and videos and his consistent interactions with all team mates on social media, I am really optimistic this move will pay off. On the court, a productive and mature Frank could change the whole trajectory of the season. We know we have talent both returning and in the frosh alongside a lack of frontcourt depth. If Frank can come in and be a solid 12/6 kind of PG and occasional high scorer we could be so much better than it stands on paper.

I once again think this is a great move by JB to flip a negative to something positive via giving the kid responsibility and opportunity. Obviously it could go.. very very wrong but a hunch tells me it won't based on the signs so far. Excited to see what this new look group can do. LGO!
I think your premise, that Frank is a talented player, remains to be seen. I haven't seen it.

I think your premise, that Frank is a talented player, remains to be seen. I haven't seen it.

Love him or hate him I expect him to be the difference between a bad Syracuse season and us making the tournament and finally winning an ACC tournament game. It really feels like JB is going to ride him either way. Lazarus Sims should be the model for him. Nobody thought he would be good in 95 and that worked out great.

We have seen flashes as I noted in a follow up post. I also noted the positives in his shot form during the scrimmage. And in all honesty, talented doesn't have to mean all ACC.

Love him or hate him I expect him to be the difference between a bad Syracuse season and us making the tournament and finally winning an ACC tournament game. It really feels like JB is going to ride him either way. Lazarus Sims should be the model for him. Nobody thought he would be good in 95 and that worked out great.

This is it exactly. He is the make or break for this team unless Thorpe and a freshman put up some bigtime numbers.

We have seen flashes as I noted in a follow up post. I also noted the positives in his shot form during the scrimmage. And in all honesty, talented doesn't have to mean all ACC.

If there was an all ACC 20th team Frank wouldn't have made it. Frank couldn't get on the court last year against (I know there was an injury in there) even with an ineffective Gillon eating up minutes.

It would be great if Frank turns things around.

However, it remains to be seen if he is even the best Howard on the roster.

With Thorpe & Battle in the back court, we can be successful regardless.
He is the best Howard, and it isn't close. Staff considers FH the second best player on this team. You guys are going to love what you see this yr.

He’s a peculiar and polarizing player. All this support from the staff and JB is good for sure but let’s not forget it was JB, who in a presser or two when asked about Gillon’s struggles and such maybe 3/4 of the season in, said (paraphasing) that he is the PG. That there is no other option (Frank).

I’m cheering for him. I don’t even really care about Frank’s shooting. My concerns are running the offense and more importantly his handle, footspeed, etc. Being in attack mode and if he is quick enough to get by good defensive guards. He’s a lanky guy who plays one speed with the long strides. Too many times he was picking up his dribble way out too far discombobulating the offense. A guard epidemic here as of late. I also worry that the injury didn’t give him opportunity to work on his craft much during the offseason. Nervous.

If there was an all ACC 20th team Frank wouldn't have made it. Frank couldn't get on the court last year against (I know there was an injury in there) even with an ineffective Gillon eating up minutes.

And a large part of that was how he handles himself. He clearly had maturity issues and checked out mentally too often. It is a stretch to say he is essentially worthless and lacking any talent. He could come out and be just as bad as last year.. it of course is a possibility. All we have to work with is a few flashes and the early signs he is engaged and ready to be a bigger part of the team. I think the negatives are clear already. What is unclear is what he can be if the lightbulb goes on.

And a large part of that was how he handles himself. He clearly had maturity issues and checked out mentally too often. It is a stretch to say he is essentially worthless and lacking any talent. He could come out and be just as bad as last year.. it of course is a possibility. All we have to work with is a few flashes and the early signs he is engaged and ready to be a bigger part of the team. I think the negatives are clear already. What is unclear is what he can be if the lightbulb goes on.

Frank has not showed much, but he is not the first SU player that has not played well in their first couple years. I think we should wait and see how he does this year in the early going. This team is going to turn on a bunch of new players meshing as a team, and it will not be all on Frank's shoulders.

He’s a peculiar and polarizing player. All this support from the staff and JB is good for sure but let’s not forget it was JB, who in a presser or two when asked about Gillon’s struggles and such maybe 3/4 of the season in, said (paraphasing) that he is the PG. That there is no other option (Frank).

According to whats been printed in the local paper recently about Frank's injury...

Why did Syracuse basketball player Frank Howard's rehab last 4 months instead of 6 weeks?

Howard suffered the injury, which involved muscles that went from his groin to his lower abdomen, last January. He continued to play for the rest of the season, but the injury hampered his performance.

Maybe that's why JB said his options at PG were limited?

Although Frank's on court play up to that point wasn't super encouraging.

Frank has not showed much, but he is not the first SU player that has not played well in their first couple years. I think we should wait and see how he does this year in the early going. This team is going to turn on a bunch of new players meshing as a team, and it will not be all on Frank's shoulders.

Some people don't like the comparison, but the ideal transformation would be a la Z Sims. Another tall guard, and he went from being scary just trying to dribble to ball down the court to becoming a great floor general. Anyone who didn't see that coming could have been forgiven. That kind of progression would be our best hope for Frank.

According to whats been printed in the local paper recently about Frank's injury...

Why did Syracuse basketball player Frank Howard's rehab last 4 months instead of 6 weeks?

Howard suffered the injury, which involved muscles that went from his groin to his lower abdomen, last January. He continued to play for the rest of the season, but the injury hampered his performance.

Maybe that's why JB said his options at PG were limited?

Although Frank's on court play up to that point wasn't super encouraging.

Hard to say. Certainly JB seemed defiant in his defense of Gillon over Howard. I just hope we can score beyond 55-ish against Kansas and such in the non-conference.

Just want to get this straight. In your scenario, Howard has to earn time despite flashes of quality over his first two years, but Washington should get time based on...nothing?

From what I have read, Howard Washington is impressing a lot of people at practice with his basketball IQ, passing, shooting and leadership demeanor. By that I mean his ability to breakdown the defense and make the right pass or shot. I have said long before our first practice that he reminded me of Eniss ( not saying they are equal) because of his deliberate true point guard control at the wheel.

Sometimes you know a good player when you see one which may equal minutes

I am not as worried about Howard's basketball abilities(although I wonder about that too) as much as his behavior. He sounded like a maturing young man in the PS interview, I hope that is indeed the case. Let's give him a chance when the season starts and see how it goes. I think Washington will be a solid PG for us, just might take a year or two.

Hard to say. Certainly JB seemed defiant in his defense of Gillon over Howard. I just hope we can score beyond 55-ish against Kansas and such in the non-conference.

I will take a bunch of rock fight wins if it means we win more games. Scoring a lot is far less enjoyable if it doesn't mean winning. Not that our defensive minded teams didn't remind us of scratching a chalkboard, but we did win a lot of games.

From what I have read, Howard Washington is impressing a lot of people at practice with his basketball IQ, passing, shooting and leadership demeanor. By that I mean his ability to breakdown the defense and make the right pass or shot. I have said long before our first practice that he reminded me of Eniss ( not saying they are equal) because of his deliberate true point guard control at the wheel.

Sometimes you know a good player when you see one which may equal minutes

Alright, Justice Stewart - I'm just suggesting folks hold off on the "know it when I see it" logic until we actually see the two players, as they exist in the present, on the court against real competition. Ball don't lie.

unless you're in the "spare the rod" school of thinking HC has done his game confidence no favors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom