Another Win. Another Drop in the NET? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Another Win. Another Drop in the NET?

on the bright side the committee can’t just keep ignoring the ridiculousness of The wins and losses columns and the home/road losses.

My hope is that next year all these same joke teams try to game the net again and then when they dump the efficiency metric it gets th nothing except a terrible SoS.

Barely beating bad teams (Notre Dame, Louisville) at home just isn't going to help your NET. I guess it bothers some people, but any objective sorting metric just isnt going to be very impressed by that.

It’s objective only in the sense of to its own formula but it’s flawed maybe even more so than RPI as we have a few years to analyze. Margin of Victory as a key variable will always result in skewed results.

Having to play a game to win by an amount on the road vs just winning is nutty.

I feel bad that walk ons may never play again bc of the NET. Everything from trend to an eyeball to smell test says we should at the least be on the bubble. NET seems like a joke. I know we used to cry when RPI or traveling outside of NY were complaints too. We will never be happy bc each system is flawed but we are a top 64 team deserving of a spot on the dance floor. SOS and 20 wins and our last 10 games should mean more than anything else.

The debate is stupid unless we win Tuesday anyway. But if we win Tuesday and lose round one of ACC and don’t get in then something is wrong.
We arent getting in if we beat clemson then lose the next game. The system sucks i agree but its what we have to deal with and it aint happening unless we win at least our next 2

as much as i want the double bye we really could use another game to help our resume even more. Its a catch 22

all is a moot point if we lose tuesday. Then its title or bust

One thing that is also hurting us is the Chaminade game. That basically was an exhibition game. Doesnt count as a win so to speak and didnt count towards net, etc. it was as if we didnt even play a game. Had we played anyone else it would have helped us a little.

this is a rock solid bubble this year. Almost set in concrete. i laugh when i hear people say its a soft bubble. They just arent paying attention. Very difficult to break through the bubble wall from the outside unless you keep winning.

i still say three more wins and we are locked in. 2 MAY do it Only if one of the wins is vs clemson. Beating clemson then losing the first tourney game will not get it done

all you need to do is look at past years when these computer rankings actually helped us get a bid when we were on the fence. This year they just arent as good for some reason

Last edited:
NET is officially the dumbest computer ranking of all time. Calling it broken is an insult to things that are broken. Red really needs to start banging the PR drum to raise a stink otherwise we won’t even be in the conversation.
Boeheim did when interviewed on Jim Boeheim Day. I don’t think I’ve heard Red make one comment yet

I have such a love/hate relationship with CBB. It's so broken, yet it still such a great sport.
The crazy thing is how few people follow the sport unless they are diehard fans of a team. The casual sports fans I work with could not name a single player on a single team.

The tournament is awesome but so much focus on a single elimination tournament also makes college bball gimmicky. Now we have these shifting algorithms determining who is good and it’s even more of a mess.

Boeheim did when interviewed on Jim Boeheim Day. I don’t think I’ve heard Red make one comment yet
Red is too PC and I think that is not helping us stay in the forefront of conversations. Boeheim doing the dirty work isn’t a great look. Two would be better than one, no?

One thing that is also hurting us is the Chaminade game. That basically was an exhibition game. Doesnt count as a win so to speak and didnt count towards net, etc. it was as if we didnt even play a game. Had we played anyone else it would have helped us a little.

this is a rock solid bubble this year. Almost set in concrete. i laugh when i hear people say its a soft bubble. They just arent paying attention. Very difficult to break through the bubble wall from the outside unless you keep winning.

i still say three more wins and we are locked in. 2 MAY do it Only if one of the wins is vs clemson. Beating clemson then losing the first tourney game will not get it done

all you need to do is look at past years when these computer rankings actually helped us get a bid when we were on the fence. This year they just arent as good for some reason

Our computer rankings are good this year except for the most important one.

RPI, SOS, etc are both really strong. But the blowout losses and lack of blowout wins have killed our NET. Its absolutely ridiculous that margin of victory/defeat is literally whats keeping us out right now, and will most likely keep us out unless we beat clemson.

Our computer rankings are good this year except for the most important one.

RPI, SOS, etc are both really strong. But the blowout losses and lack of blowout wins have killed our NET. Its absolutely ridiculous that margin of victory/defeat is literally whats keeping us out right now, and will most likely keep us out unless we beat clemson.
People need to stop looking at the conference standings and win totals. You need to only look at how the committee determines how teams are selected. Right or wrong its the reality we live in. I can always tell the casual su only fans who scream “We have 20 wins” or “We are 4th in the acc.” literally they mean very little these days. This isnt 1997 anymore.

i mean winning last night basically sewed up an nit bid. Thats about it. We are in a land mine field and we avoided stepping on one last night again. Need to do it a couple of more times.

How the ACC will end after the dust clears (??)

Virgina 12-8
Wake 12-8
Clemson 11-9
SU 11-9
Pitt 11-9
NC ST 9-11

Virgina 12-8
Wake 12-8
Clemson 11-9
SU 11-9
Pitt 11-9
NC ST 9-11
I want the double bye because that means we beat Clemson and WF lost a game, but 6th place would give us our best shot to win 2+ games in the ACCT

Virgina 12-8
Wake 12-8
Clemson 11-9
SU 11-9
Pitt 11-9
NC ST 9-11
win at Clemson, get double bye, and lose in Quarters to Wake?

Or

Lose Clemson, beat GT, then neutral win against Virginia, before losing to Duke?

I think both Cuse is out, but which is better

The NET rankings are totally broken, and overweight blowouts way too much. Coaches put in the third string and walkons at the end of blowouts. Should they not do that anymore?

Texas A&M at 54 with a 16-13 record with 4 Quad 3 losses?
Virginia Tech at 58 with the same 16-13 record, 1-9 on the road, and a Quad 3 loss.

I hope this gets corrected next year.

Red needs to change his strategy next year with big leads. There comes a point where you can take your foot off the gas and basically guarantee a win by wasting time on offense. That's great if the goal is to win games, but if the goal is to get into the tournament, winning games isn't enough.

The difference between us and 60th in KenPom (a good proxy for NET, and we can actually see the numbers) is about 70 points. They've left at least half of that on the floor in the last four games by going into cruise control mode.

The crazy thing is how few people follow the sport unless they are diehard fans of a team. The casual sports fans I work with could not name a single player on a single team.

The tournament is awesome but so much focus on a single elimination tournament also makes college bball gimmicky. Now we have these shifting algorithms determining who is good and it’s even more of a mess.
i honestly think this shifting algorithm is exactly how the NCAA wants it

their goal isnt fairness for the competitors

their goal is to try and make as many "magic moments" as possible

thus being able to predict games and how teams will matchup and try to get margin of games as small as possible is the ideal...and for that pupose, NET works great

its a predictive algorithm

not actually a ranking algorithm...even though it is used for ranking as well

Red needs to change his strategy next year with big leads. There comes a point where you can take your foot off the gas and basically guarantee a win by wasting time on offense. That's great if the goal is to win games, but if the goal is to get into the tournament, winning games isn't enough.

The difference between us and 60th in KenPom (a good proxy for NET, and we can actually see the numbers) is about 70 points. They've left at least half of that on the floor in the last four games by going into cruise control mode.
With all due respect, that’s stupid. If you are up late, why would you purposefully give your opponent extra possessions?

That should get you fired.

With all due respect, that’s stupid. If you are up late, why would you purposefully give your opponent extra possessions?

That should get you fired.
If the NET is going to be such a huge factor in getting into the tournament, college basketball is no longer about wins and losses, it's about margins. Is that stupid? In my opinion, yes. But what good is our record and resume right now? We're on zero out of 97 brackets on Bracket Matrix. St. John's is in 35/97 at 17-12. Villanova is in 19/97 at 17-12.

We can play the game "right" and miss the tourney when we should be in, or be under-seeded when we do get in, or we can acknowledge the metrics being used and play accordingly.

I just had a revelation :
Wake has a NET of 31
Cuse has a NET of 84

Both are bubble teams. Maybe the NET doesn't matter as much as we think to the committee. If so, Wake would be a lock. Food for thought.

I just had a revelation :
Wake has a NET of 31
Cuse has a NET of 84

Both are bubble teams. Maybe the NET doesn't matter as much as we think to the committee. If so, Wake would be a lock. Food for thought.
If Syracuse can get their winning streak to 7, they have a chance.
Need to win at Clemson, and 2 games in ACC tournament. Otherwise the Committee will have an easy excuse to leave us out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom