Freeney's playing like he's 25 years old... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Freeney's playing like he's 25 years old...

Defensive players, like offensive linemen, tend to get in based on reputation and maybe longevity, not numbers. The fact that Freeney was at one time the highest paid defensive linemen and a he did it for a team that won a ton of games- and now someone else who has him is winning a ton of games should get him in.
thats just not true for DLs.

sacks and tackles matter.

and he has lower sack #s and 100s!! of lower tackle #s than everyone i mentioned.

and...i forgot jason taylor.

so there are 9 guys who go before him.

im not saying he wont make it, just that he will be waiting.

a looooonnnnggggg time.

and FWIW: Marvin better get in this year.

im not joking...i dont think he gets in for a very very very long time...if ever.

his tackle #s are very low and guys like Kevin Greene, Simeon Rice, Leslie O'Neil and maybe even Clyde Simmons go before him.

then you have his contemporaries like Jared Allen, Peppers, Demarcus Ware and John Abraham.

phenominal player...hes right there on the bubble, but...

and this year doesnt mean shlit.

that said, if he has a ridiculous post season and is a huge reason why his team hoists a Lombardi, maybe a SuperBowl moment for the ages...then that will benefit him immensely.
Allen, Peppers and the others will get in as well. Peppers will play for a couple more years than Freeeney so he will be in after freeney. Dwight has won a superbowl which elevates his status. Anyone that ignores that fact that offenses had to gameplan against him is crazy. He was able to single-handedly change games, much like Bruce Smith, Reggie White, A stat not compiled is forced fumbles, but im willing to bet he has over 50 in his career...etc

I wonder if Hicks has been giving Freeney some extra supplements in his training sessions to turn back the clock.

Allen, Peppers and the others will get in as well. Peppers will play for a couple more years than Freeeney so he will be in after freeney. Dwight has won a superbowl which elevates his status. Anyone that ignores that fact that offenses had to gameplan against him is crazy. He was able to single-handedly change games, much like Bruce Smith, Reggie White, A stat not compiled is forced fumbles, but im willing to bet he has over 50 in his career...etc
Forced Fumbles is a good stat. Freeney has a bunch. Peppers has more.

let me ask this, who is better:

- 382 tackles 118.5 sacks 46 Forced Fumbles
- 273 tackles 118 sacks 51 Forced Fumbles

- 273 tackles 118 sacks 51 Forced Fumbles[/QUOTE]

Honestly a forced fumble to me for a DE means alot more than a tackle. So they are close to even.

I wonder if Hicks has been giving Freeney some extra supplements in his training sessions to turn back the clock.
I think Freeney playing soccer most his life and not football growing up helped him tremendously. He could probably play another 5 years.

Honestly a forced fumble to me for a DE means alot more than a tackle. So they are close to even.
even, except 1 has 100 more tackles and over 15 years 5 more FF is negligble.

the higher tackle # is Freeneys buddy Mathis, forgot him as well.

fwiw:

Taylor 525 139.5 & 46
Peppers 505, 135 & 48
Allen 495 136 & 32
Ware 495 133.5 & 35
Abraham 446 133.5 & 47
Rice 389 122 & 28

and then theres Clyde Simmons 914 121.5 & 25 with some missing FF stat years. with 914 tackles and that sack # how the F is he not in?? guess he gets no credit for playing opposite Reggie.

bottom line, Freeney is not walking in.

hes got a long arse wait ahead of him.

fwiw:

Taylor 525 139.5 & 46
Peppers 505, 135 & 48
Allen 495 136 & 32
Ware 495 133.5 & 35
Abraham 446 133.5 & 47
Rice 389 122 & 28

and then theres Clyde Simmons 914 121.5 & 25 with some missing FF stat years. with 914 tackles and that sack # how the F is he not in?? guess he gets no credit for playing opposite Reggie.

I honestly feel that Mathis' numbers are soo good because teams were triple-teaming freeney all game...much like Clyde. Having said that they should be in obviously anyways. I guess the problem is that there is more hall of fame caliber DE's than there are for some other positions that are getting guys in.

fwiw:

Taylor 525 139.5 & 46
Peppers 505, 135 & 48
Allen 495 136 & 32
Ware 495 133.5 & 35
Abraham 446 133.5 & 47
Rice 389 122 & 28

The HoF's selection committee put him on the all 2000s team with Strahan as the other DE. The second team was Peppers and Taylor.

Freeney may not get in on first ballot, but he isn't waiting that long. 1x AFC DPOY, 4x 1st team all pro, 1x 2nd team all pro and 7x pro bowler.

All of the guys named to that 1st team D for the 2000s are either in or will get in without too much trouble, Freeney included. Link for reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_2000s_All-Decade_Team

The HoF's selection committee put him on the all 2000s team with Strahan as the other DE. The second team was Peppers and Taylor.

Freeney may not get in on first ballot, but he isn't waiting that long. 1x AFC DPOY, 4x 1st team all pro, 1x 2nd team all pro and 7x pro bowler.

All of the guys named to that 1st team D for the 2000s are either in or will get in without too much trouble, Freeney included. Link for reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_2000s_All-Decade_Team
good list.

that and the DPOY will certainly help shorten the time frame.

fwiw: Kevin Greene was 1st team all 90s and hes still looking in...

Honestly a forced fumble to me for a DE means alot more than a tackle. So they are close to even.[/QUOTE]
actually a forced fumble is a sack most of the time for the DE.

peppers bigger , better run defender.
freeney more dynamic, had to be schemed to be stopped, doubled much more and ran away from more often.

good list.

green was great but no where near the level of peppers or freeney, he was consistent year to year though

green was great but no where near the level of peppers or freeney, he was consistent year to year though
he was a DPOY too.

but played a lot of LB in there too, little bit of a hybrid. helped create the DE dropping into coverage.

160 sacks is nothing to sneeze at (and 669 tackles).

Greene gets in this year.

Coryell
Craig
Farve
Marvin
Pace

round it out.

good list.

Good point on Kevin Greene.

Maybe I'm just letting my Cuse bias shine through with Freeney. I just think between his credentials and numbers and no off field stuff, I think he has a good shot.

Kevin Greene... interesting.

Good point on Kevin Greene.

Maybe I'm just letting my Cuse bias shine through with Freeney. I just think between his credentials and numbers and no off field stuff, I think he has a good shot.

Kevin Greene... interesting.
i thought Freeney was a lock till some talking head this summer, when going over how he was unemployed and may be done...said that he was on the bubble.

i thought to myself...no Fn way.

then i looked up his stats and went...oh my.

hes a 1 trick pony.

a very very good 1 trick pony, but not the all around player a lot of the HOFers are.

Charles Haley (in addition to being a bad guy) was labeled that for a long time before he got in...and he had 485 tackles and 26 FF.

I honestly feel that Mathis' numbers are soo good because teams were triple-teaming freeney all game...much like Clyde. Having said that they should be in obviously anyways. I guess the problem is that there is more hall of fame caliber DE's than there are for some other positions that are getting guys in.

I always equate Freeney to Jeff Bagwell. Wait, he's a baseball player!. Here's what I'm talking about: The Astros for years had other sluggers who put up Bagwell type numbers: Alou, Hidalgo, Berkman, Ensberg, etc. But Bagwell was the constant. If felt that his presence in the line-up set up the other guys for their good numbers by allowing them to see good pitches because the pitchers didn't want to face Bagwell. Every time I watched an Astros game, it was Bagwell they were obviously pitching around. I could only imagine what Bagwell's numbers would have been if he'd been pitched the same way as the other guys.

I think a lot of Mathis' success was the result of Freeney being on the other side and getting lots of defensive attention: he was the guy the other team was game-planning against.

Of course the Kaiser could be right. it could be along wait, just as it was for Art Monk and Floyd Little. And it would make about as much sense.

Last edited:
From reading different sites over the past couple years that are probably more objective than I am, I get the sense Dwight is in the "Hall of Really Good" right now. I'm pretty sure that's where Peter King puts him and he is a voter - not that I think Peter King is the gospel, trust me. Dwight will be retiring up for eligibility at probably around the same time as a lot of really good players - especially in an era of several offensive stars. I think if he can build off doing well for Arizona this year and get one more year of at least 10 sacks, it might push him over the top if he waits a few years

actually a forced fumble is a sack most of the time for the DE.

peppers bigger , better run defender.
freeney more dynamic, had to be schemed to be stopped, doubled much more and ran away from more often.[/QUOTE]
I agree completely. Peppers has better sack numbers...but Freeney made a bigger impact on offensive play calling.

I was going to reference that along with some other accolades..but i think we all agree he should get in so i didn't use the energy haha.

i thought Freeney was a lock till some talking head this summer, when going over how he was unemployed and may be done...said that he was on the bubble.

i thought to myself...no Fn way.

then i looked up his stats and went...oh my.

hes a 1 trick pony.

a very very good 1 trick pony, but not the all around player a lot of the HOFers are.

Charles Haley (in addition to being a bad guy) was labeled that for a long time before he got in...and he had 485 tackles and 26 FF.
Freeney was asked to do 1 thing. Disrupt the offense. He did that better than almost anyone in the game's history. That is why he was first team all decade with Strahan...above Peppers.

Freeney was asked to do 1 thing. Disrupt the offense. He did that better than almost anyone in the game's history. That is why he was first team all decade with Strahan...above Peppers.

Now, all Freeney has to do, is get a daytime talk show hosting gig, and a chair on a Sunday NFL pre/post game show, and he's a LOCK.

now thats some serious Orange colored glasses there!!

hey, im not trying to bash freeney and pump peppers, but peppers has 200+ more tackles, almost 20 more sacks and 2 more FFs and they made the same amount of pro bowls and all pro teams.

the #s freeney put up this year, are really helping his cause.

for the NFL HOF, its Marvin...then Coughlin...then at some point hopefully Freeney.

but after that, we are done for a long long long time.

thanks for that grobbycakes, doogie and mr soundbyte.

Freeney has 7 tackles, 1 assist and 7 sacks.

All he does is sack! :D

KaiserUEO said:
now thats some serious Orange colored glasses there!! hey, im not trying to bash freeney and pump peppers, but peppers has 200+ more tackles, almost 20 more sacks and 2 more FFs and they made the same amount of pro bowls and all pro teams. the #s freeney put up this year, are really helping his cause. for the NFL HOF, its Marvin...then Coughlin...then at some point hopefully Freeney. but after that, we are done for a long long long time. thanks for that grobbycakes, doogie and mr soundbyte.

Chandler Jones is young and is putting up very good numbers. Already has a SB win.

now thats some serious Orange colored glasses there!!

hey, im not trying to bash freeney and pump peppers, but peppers has 200+ more tackles, almost 20 more sacks and 2 more FFs and they made the same amount of pro bowls and all pro teams.

the #s freeney put up this year, are really helping his cause.

for the NFL HOF, its Marvin...then Coughlin...then at some point hopefully Freeney.

but after that, we are done for a long long long time.

thanks for that grobbycakes, doogie and mr soundbyte.
unless the kickers ever get in and Gary Anderson gets rewarded

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom