Freeney's playing like he's 25 years old... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Freeney's playing like he's 25 years old...

I hope you are joking. Freeney is as much of a sure thing for the Hall of Fame that i have ever seen...
I don't claim to know how this works. At one time Art Monk was the all time leader in receptions and set a record for receptions in one season before the league was throwing it all over the place, and he was on a team that won 3 superbowls. How long did it take him to get in? Don't mistake me for someone that doeesn't think he's great. He one of my all time favorites, take a look at my avatar. I just think the arguments that some people brought up have merit and the HOF voters may not remember him as fondly as SU fans do. I think his numbers could've been better had the colts ever drafted decent d-tackles that allowed them to actually stop the run and force teams into more passing downs.

I always equate Freeney to Jeff Bagwell. Wait, he's a baseball player!. Here's what I'm talking about: The Astros for years had other sluggers who put up Bagwell type numbers: Alou, Hidalgo, Berkman, Ensberg, etc. But Bagwell was the constant. If felt that his presence in the line-up set up the other guys for their good numbers by allowing them to see good pitches because the pitchers didn't want to face Bagwell. Every time I watched an Astros game, it was Bagwell they were obviously pitching around. I could only imagine what Bagwell's numbers would have been if he'd been pitched the same way as the other guys.

I think a lot of Mathis' success was the result of Freeney being on the other side and getting lots of defensive attention: he was the guy the other team was game-planning against.

Of course the Kaiser could be right. it could be along wait, just as it was for Art Monk and Floyd Little. And it would make about as much sense.
I think that's a great analogy. What sucks is, I think after a 5 year (more if your not an obvious 1st ballot) wait, a lot of people forget the impact beyond the numbers. Then when they look at the stats and see contempories with better numbers they go, "Maybe he wasn't as good as I thought," despite probably being better.

Chandler Jones is young and is putting up very good numbers. Already has a SB win.
He's gonna need to keep his tackle #s where they are and avg 9 sacks a year for about 10 more years to haves shot.

And then wait 5 years.

That's a long time Reverend, and that won't get him in on 1st ballot.

After TC, excluding Freeney (and maybe Anderson)...we are looking at 30+ years before someone else gets in.

KaiserUEO said:
He's gonna need to keep his tackle #s where they are and avg 9 sacks a year for about 10 more years to haves shot. And then wait 5 years. That's a long time Reverend, and that won't get him in on 1st ballot. After TC, excluding Freeney (and maybe Anderson)...we are looking at 30+ years before someone else gets in.

Agreed. But he's got the best shot of who is active right now (outside of DF).

Just had a big sack on Rodgers as this playoff game is winding down.

Like Al Michaels said, "A game that defies analysis". Freeney had a lot to do with the outcome but Rodgers and Fitzgerald were unbelievable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom