From The Game: Foul or Not 'Cuse Shooting Trend is Terrible | Syracusefan.com

From The Game: Foul or Not 'Cuse Shooting Trend is Terrible

arbitragegls

All Conference
Great venue...each time I go to Duke I am amazed at the beauty and history of the campus...town not so much. Cameron is a terrific place to play bball and must say most teams (including NCSTATE) get overwhelmed by the court and seating...students within inches of Out of bounds play...but must say our 'Cuse did not blink...what our team did not do is make shots...bball basket either had a lid or was the size of a small drain...nothing went in...not even bunnies...okay nearly nothing.

Forget, probably never, of JB's reaction to the call...didn't know his emotions were held in so much that this would have made him fly off the handle...but in real time it was chilling and moving--he had the teams' back even if timing was poor. Our coach has the fire, the emotion to take this team to the NC again and this incident may be a spark plug to light up our team.

It was not the bad charge call; it wasn't JB going wild...it was simply another game where the team could not shoot straight...and this isn't a comedy...its bball and we want to win.

Look at the facts. 'Cuse actually outplayed Duke:
  • 'Cuse had 14 more shots
  • 'Cuse had 5 more boards
  • 'Cuse had 5 more steals
  • 'Cuse had 3 fewer TOs
How did 'Cuse lose:
  • 'Cuse shot 22% from 3 (thanks for making two silent G)
  • If 'Cuse just shot 33% (making one more--the game would have been tied going into the last seconds)
  • 'Cuse shot overall 39%--if we shot 42% we would have been in the lead in the final seconds
The last several games should have been a shout out that 'Cuse was in trouble...ITS THE SCORING STUPID---and nothing else. The team needs to figure out how to get the ball in the basket and for the ball to go through.

As several non 'Cuse fans said at the end of the game: "You got a NC TEAM"...and I for one believe that if we can score not in the high 70's but mid to high 60's...As I am leaving Cameron I am thinking: Wow the team did not crack under the Cameron mystique...didn't blink...team is poised and mentally tough and showed that for all the ACC...

It's Good to be 'Cuse!! The Order of the 'Cuse Orange..

Aside from the obvious 3 bad late game calls, Cuse lost this game with a terrible last 6 minute stretch to end the first half. With 5:53 remaining in the half Cuse had a 23-16 lead. We went stone cold and scored 3 points the last 6 minutes of the half and surrendered the lead. We are having too many of these long scoring droughts lately and we are no longer getting the 12-0, 14-2 runs the team was getting a couple times a game earlier in the season. Our backcourt scoring has seemingly dried up leaving all the scoring burden to CJ and Grant. That's just not going to be enough. Ennis and Cooney have to find their scoring touch again.

5 cuse players had equal or less points than field goal attempts.(exceptions grant had 17 pts on 15 shots and gbinje had 8 on 5.) pretty poor.

Ennis and Cooney couldn't hit anything.

Yes but Cooney, Ennis and Grant were handchecked and mugged on probably 70% of their drives and weren't given FT attempts, which results in a missed field goal instead. Normally, they would have had probably a combined 10 or so less FG attempts and 20 more FT attempts between just those 3 with the type of plays they were making. So those percentages would look a lot different.

I mean comeon, Duke took twice as many 3's as us and still drew more fouls and took more free throws when we took twice as many shots in the paint on drives without blocks lol and that's with our guards having two hands on their hips at all times

We need more shooters. We have an abudance of lanky inspector gadgets that cant shoot straight.

We need more shooters. We have an abudance of lanky inspector gadgets that cant shoot straight.

They're on the way. Johnson is good from 3. So is Cooney and he isn't going anywhere. Remember, this is his first year, practically speaking, and he's got 2 more to go. Cooney will probably be All ACC by the time he graduates. Lydon, the stretch 4 coming in, can shoot it well. So does Malachi; he's a terrific shooter. We've got talented young players in the wings. It's just too bad they weren't more ready this year.

This just in, there are none coming this year. We need the shooters we have to shoot better. Is that what you meant?

This just in, there are none coming this year. We need the shooters we have to shoot better. Is that what you meant?

no. im saying that the team is flawed as is constructed and it could have used more shooters as currently constructed. we've seen several opponents take TC completely out of the game. Its much easier to do since he's the only one they have to worry about.

Ennis needs to shoot more threes as well.

We had 14 more shots and 5 more rebounds because we shot bad. So you can take those two stats away.

Great venue...each time I go to Duke I am amazed at the beauty and history of the campus...town not so much. Cameron is a terrific place to play bball and must say most teams (including NCSTATE) get overwhelmed by the court and seating...students within inches of Out of bounds play...but must say our 'Cuse did not blink...what our team did not do is make shots...bball basket either had a lid or was the size of a small drain...nothing went in...not even bunnies...okay nearly nothing.

Forget, probably never, of JB's reaction to the call...didn't know his emotions were held in so much that this would have made him fly off the handle...but in real time it was chilling and moving--he had the teams' back even if timing was poor. Our coach has the fire, the emotion to take this team to the NC again and this incident may be a spark plug to light up our team.

It was not the bad charge call; it wasn't JB going wild...it was simply another game where the team could not shoot straight...and this isn't a comedy...its bball and we want to win.

Look at the facts. 'Cuse actually outplayed Duke:
  • 'Cuse had 14 more shots
  • 'Cuse had 5 more boards
  • 'Cuse had 5 more steals
  • 'Cuse had 3 fewer TOs
How did 'Cuse lose:
  • 'Cuse shot 22% from 3 (thanks for making two silent G)
  • If 'Cuse just shot 33% (making one more--the game would have been tied going into the last seconds)
  • 'Cuse shot overall 39%--if we shot 42% we would have been in the lead in the final seconds
The last several games should have been a shout out that 'Cuse was in trouble...ITS THE SCORING STUPID---and nothing else. The team needs to figure out how to get the ball in the basket and for the ball to go through.

As several non 'Cuse fans said at the end of the game: "You got a NC TEAM"...and I for one believe that if we can score not in the high 70's but mid to high 60's...As I am leaving Cameron I am thinking: Wow the team did not crack under the Cameron mystique...didn't blink...team is poised and mentally tough and showed that for all the ACC...

It's Good to be 'Cuse!! The Order of the 'Cuse Orange..
I was on vacation this past week and haven't been on the board. After the BC game, I was thinking about starting a thread asking, "Now that we've lost, can we discuss the teams deficiencies without being ridiculed and told to shut up because we're undefeated." This team has had trouble scoring for a while now. With the exception of the first Duke game, our offense has looked very challenged.

CJ needs to figure out his funk and fix it. I don't know how many times during the BC game LaPhonso Ellis pointed out that CJ was being guarded by a guy that was 6'2". Why does he not know how to post up when he has a mismatch like that? That is a basic skill that every forward needs to have his toolbox.

I would also like to see Cooney do more than just try to come off screens for threes. Teams are defending it too well for it to be the only thing he does. Why not work some curls for midrange jump shots more often? I've seen him do it from time to time, but it needs to happen more. Does he know how to run some pick and roll? I know our offense only runs it with the point guard, but running it with Cooney and CJ or Grant could open some things up. It seems that they'd have to hedge so strongly to prevent an open three that a roll to the basket may be more open. Maybe Cooney isn't a strong enough passer for this?

sufandu said:
I was on vacation this past week and haven't been on the board. After the BC game, I was thinking about starting a thread asking, "Now that we've lost, can we discuss the teams deficiencies without being ridiculed and told to shut up because we're undefeated." This team has had trouble scoring for a while now. With the exception of the first Duke game, our offense has looked very challenged. CJ needs to figure out his funk and fix it. I don't know how many times during the BC game LaPhonso Ellis pointed out that CJ was being guarded by a guy that was 6'2". Why does he not know how to post up when he has a mismatch like that? That is a basic skill that every forward needs to have his toolbox. I would also like to see Cooney do more than just try to come off screens for threes. Teams are defending it too well for it to be the only thing he does. Why not work some curls for midrange jump shots more often? I've seen him do it from time to time, but it needs to happen more. Does he know how to run some pick and roll? I know our offense only runs it with the point guard, but running it with Cooney and CJ or Grant could open some things up. It seems that they'd have to hedge so strongly to prevent an open three that a roll to the basket may be more open. Maybe Cooney isn't a strong enough passer for this?
Cj wasn't the problem against Duke. He played fine.

Cj wasn't the problem against Duke. He played fine.
I'll have to take your word for it since I was on the road for the game, but that's not even the point. Lately, against most teams not named Duke he has not shot well (7-23 BC, 5-16 NC State, 6-14 Pitt, 8-13 Clemson, 2-13 Notre Dame). The Clemson game was his only one over 50% since the first Duke game, and I'll take 6-14 against Pitt, but the others, along with only 43% on the year, isn't good enough for our best player. A lot of people on here have focused so much attention on Cooney's shooting when his FG% is actually better than CJ's and his 3 pt% is nearly as good as CJ's FG%. He's a senior that was a preseason player of the year candidate and needs to do better for us to win the NC.

Having said all of that, I know I named CJ and Cooney specifically, but my main point is that this team needs to do a better job scoring.

Last edited:
Aside from the obvious 3 bad late game calls, Cuse lost this game with a terrible last 6 minute stretch to end the first half. With 5:53 remaining in the half Cuse had a 23-16 lead. We went stone cold and scored 3 points the last 6 minutes of the half and surrendered the lead. We are having too many of these long scoring droughts lately and we are no longer getting the 12-0, 14-2 runs the team was getting a couple times a game earlier in the season. Our backcourt scoring has seemingly dried up leaving all the scoring burden to CJ and Grant. That's just not going to be enough. Ennis and Cooney have to find their scoring touch again.
agree 100%

sufandu said:
I'll have to take your word for it since I was on the road for the game, but that's not even the point. Lately, against most teams not named Duke he has not shot well (7-23 BC, 5-16 NC State, 6-14 Pitt, 8-13 Clemson, 2-13 Notre Dame). The Clemson game was his only one over 50% since the first Duke game, and I'll take 6-14 against Pitt, but the others, along with only 43% on the year, isn't good enough for our best player. A lot of people on here have focused so much attention on Cooney's shooting when his FG% is actually better than CJ's and his 3 pt% is nearly as good as CJ's FG%. He's a senior that was a preseason player of the year candidate and needs to do better for us to win the NC. Having said all of that, I know I named CJ and Cooney specifically, but my main point is that this team needs to do a better job scoring.
People can disagree but I think the 2 main reasons we lost on Saturday were raks foul trouble caused us to lose a major advantage, and Ennis was terrible. I mean Tyler was really bad

This loss was on Ennis. He was a trainwreck.

Cooney was invisible once again, but that is expected at this point. He is really our 5th option anyways now that we try to feed Rak... so winning or losing doesnt ever fall directly on TC. (aside from the ND game)

People can disagree but I think the 2 main reasons we lost on Saturday were raks foul trouble caused us to lose a major advantage, and Ennis was terrible. I mean Tyler was really bad
I'm not just talking about this loss. I'm talking about a larger problem that existed while we were still undefeated.

I'm not just talking about this loss. I'm talking about a larger problem that existed while we were still undefeated.
I say this wadr, what do you propose jb does about it, do they more shooting drills in practice? bad game bc, duke to the wire at cameron, what I'm getting at is we have only lost 2 games and one of those was to duke on the road. good or bad I dont pay much attention to to stats.

I say this wadr, what do you propose jb does about it, do they more shooting drills in practice? bad game bc, duke to the wire at cameron, what I'm getting at is we have only lost 2 games and one of those was to duke on the road. good or bad I dont pay much attention to to stats.
I pay attention to how the team plays win or lose. Sometimes a team plays well and loses, sometimes they play like crap and win. The fact is, we don't score well. JB himself said we could have easily lost 7 other games this year. I made suggestions about what could be done in an earlier post in this thread. I hate the attitude of, "We're undefeated or we've only lost this many so there's nothing wrong." Just because we have a good record doesn't mean we don't have things that can be improved upon.

I made a similar post last week it all comes down to scoring and shooting % for this Syracuse team as there Defense is outstanding. This team needs to get more offense from Cooney and Ennis and the bench or were going to continue to see these types of games to close out the year. You cant score 3 pts in nearly 7 minutes and expect to win many games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom