frustrated by modern game | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

frustrated by modern game

The game might be more mathematically balanced if a field goal was worth 3 points and a made bucket from beyond the arch was worth 4 (33% more, as opposed to 50%).

I always thought that a shot from the backcourt should be worth 4.

We had 2 of our best teams ever in the 2010’s.

But much of the second half of the 2010’s were horrific basketball to watch.
A lot of this is related overall to how games were paced . You have to normalize for total average points across all teams

A lot of this is related overall to how games were paced . You have to normalize for total average points across all teams
Those years where our guys took turns taking one dribble, getting cut off, and passing it around the perimeter for 30 seconds, before somebody jacked a heavily contested jumper were just awful hoops on offensive end.

Syracuse vs Arkansas tourney game is the type of game you seek
The first round game before that vs. Southern Illinois was also a high score game.

Shane Batter has said that when he played and really started to grasp analytics he did adjust his game in a way that took a lot of creativity out of it because in the back of his mind he was trying to discipline himself to only do higher probability things.

Shane Batter has said that when he played and really started to grasp analytics he did adjust his game in a way that took a lot of creativity out of it because in the back of his mind he was trying to discipline himself to only do higher probability things.
But doesn’t that alter the dynamic such that the analytic is no longer accurate ? Maybe doing the higher probability things only works if it is harmonious with your natural game .. and if your game becomes rigid because you’re out there thinking .. the advantage gained is negated

But doesn’t that alter the dynamic such that the analytic is no longer accurate ? Maybe doing the higher probability things only works if it is harmonious with your natural game .. and if your game becomes rigid because you’re out there thinking .. the advantage gained is negated
I think there's a lot to be said for that.

I think players need to consider that. Nobody worked on his game harder than Jordan. Despite that, he was never going to be the deep shooter other guys were. He understood that and stayed in his wheelhouse. There are probably guys working on the things analytics tell them to when they would be better served refining what their natural talents lend them to and carving out that niche.

The problem is the pros are looking for what the analytics tell them to look for, and guys are trying to fit into that to improve their shot.

Not too many big men know any back to the basket moves. I see very few drop-steps, power dribble, pivots, baby hooks, duck-unders, reverse layups, etc.
I also miss the power rebound, keep the ball high, pivot and outlet to the guard on the wing to start the break. It seems the pg always comes to get the ball from the rebounder in the lane, now.
The women's game is actually more fun from a fundamentals standpoint.
Have you not watched Drew Timme from Gonzaga play? There are still big men like him in college with skills around the basket. There’s also Hunter Dickinson at Michigan. And Purdue has a couple of really good big men as well.

Have you not watched Drew Timme from Gonzaga play? There are still big men like him in college with skills around the basket. There’s also Hunter Dickinson at Michigan. And Purdue has a couple of really good big men as well.
I make that comment about Timme every time I watch him play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom