FSU vs The ACC | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

If Travis is healthy, they're in. What's the mystery here?
And the timing is stupid as well. Next year it's 12 teams getting in, and almost a guaranteed spot for any P5 team.
This is a money grab, plain and simple. They're looking to spend money, on the hopes of making B1G/SEC money...and they assume we're all too stupid to figure that out. Typical Fla Panhandle logic. :p
Hey!! Don't lump the rest of the Panhandle in with Tally!!

I also skimmed it.

The only interesting Count(s) IMO are those alleging unlawful restraint of trade, because those are independent of whether the conference mismanaged its financial duties. They could bring down all GOR’s as applied to schools whose state laws track Florida’s.

I know it’s custom, but seeing FLORIDA STATE in all caps made me think, nice God complex.

Based on the fact pattern as alleged, I kept thinking, why aren’t they suing to be made whole as well? I’ll leave that to the lawyers here.

I agree that it appears to be their best angle.

Or, possibly an angle that it violates public policy, and therefore deemed unenforceable by the courts. Just as you can not pass negligence through a contract regardless of how "iron clad" said hold-harmless/indemnification contract that seemingly exists.

Public Policy​

Impossibility

In some cases, a contract is deemed unenforceable because it would be impossible or impracticable to carry out its terms -- too difficult or too expensive, for example. To claim impossibility, you would need to show that:

• you can't complete performance under the contract because of some unexpected event that's not your fault
  • the contract didn't make the risk of the unexpected event something you needed to shoulder, and
  • performing the contract will be much more difficult or expensive now.

You are talking about today. Get back to me if Brown continues to recruit like this and we start winning like we did between 1987 and 2002. Tell me what the tv viewership will look like in NY then?
Yes, there is a huge difference between Cuse and the weaker programs that people lump us in with

Many of the weaker (and/or newer) programs need to build fan bases with sucess, which can be done but takes a generation. We already have a top 10-20 fan base imo that is just lying dormant and is ready to explode at the slightest hint this program is back. It is MUCH quicker to reignite a fan base (like ours) than it is to create one.

Note the back to back to back sellouts in 2022 after a few mediocre wins or the 2018 CWB where we had 60% of the stadium and outdrew WVU. Or all the times we draw ridiculous amounts of fans to stadiums across the country whenever we have a pulse.

Last edited:
They can say whatever they want. If they win or not is up to a judge. No one has tried to get out of a GOR, so who knows and who knows if they reach a settlement.

The ACC has done a terrible job negotiating on behalf of the schools. Look at the media markets. The ACC has 9 of the top 23 markets in their footprint.

Exactly.

An excellent poster whom no longer posts here (handle began with an A and ended in an S) and is an attorney, was as good as anyone on this expansion stuff, etc. IMO. He long opined that the GOR could be challenged in court, and wondered who was going to be the first to do so, especially with the economical risk with so much uncertainty due to a lack of precedent, or any action to date taken, etc.

He also opined that the crown jewels of the ACC clearly are UNC & UVA, and as long as those two schools stayed committed to the ACC, it would survive relatively as we know it. FSU is going to be the guineau pig or pioneer in all of this, however, rest assured both UNC and UVA are probably chomping at the bit...while laying low in the grass ready to pounce at the most opportunistic moment.

They will merge but there will be programs left out. I'm not making this up. Right now the consensus is Syracuse, BC, and WF will be on the outside looking in. I think Syracuse, especially if we can get things turned around in football and hoops, can have a good argument since we have a trophy game with WVU, and have played Pitt for years. We also are in the middle of the pack as far as TV ratings in the ACC from 2014-2022, but that's still not changing the overall consensus every where that you read that SU, BC, and WF are currently on the outside looking in.

I've said it plenty of times but our national perception is less than a joke, we aren't even a joke, but an afterthought. 20+ years of complete ineptitude does that. Once upon a time a shiny basketball brand could have saved us but that is gone as well. It's an uphill battle for us.
The national college sports media has always underestimated the potential of Syracuse. Yes, we’re not a state school, but we’re the only major college football team in NY State, which is the third or fourth most populous state. Syracuse has always drawn fans from all across upstate NY from Albany to Buffalo, Binghamton to Watertown, and even downstate and NYC. When Syracuse is good the fan base becomes much more engaged and the potential to fill the Dome and draw TV viewers is high.

The national college sports media has always underestimated the potential of Syracuse. Yes, we’re not a state school, but we’re the only major college football team in NY State, which is the third or fourth most populous state. Syracuse has always drawn fans from all across upstate NY from Albany to Buffalo, Binghamton to Watertown, and even downstate and NYC. When Syracuse is good the fan base becomes much more engaged and the potential to fill the Dome and draw TV viewers is high.
I'm looking at the 2024 B12 membership and don't see any team which clearly has a bigger athletic brand than Syracuse.

I really don’t believe that if we are a free agent, the big 10 wouldn’t take us. I wouldn’t have been surprised, if we could’ve gone that way last time but decided to go ACC because it was an exciting opportunity for basketball. There is no reason to rock the boat, we obviously have funds to be making facility upgrades and provide staff resources in the present. If we are a free agent. We should be a no brainer addition for the big 10.

Over the next 3-5 years if Fran keeps bringing in top talent and starts getting 9-11 wins regularly with that talent we will not be left out assuming our bball program bounces back some.

Anyone know anything about Greg Swaim? He's claiming that Clemson, Miami, UNC, NC State, Virginia, and Virginia Tech are about to file suits against the ACC as well. Looks like he's a radio host in Stillwater, OK, so no idea why he'd be getting this story first. Hopefully this is Big 12 propaganda, because we really need a few more years to rebuild the football program before this goes down.

Anyone know anything about Greg Swaim? He's claiming that Clemson, Miami, UNC, NC State, Virginia, and Virginia Tech are about to file suits against the ACC as well. Looks like he's a radio host in Stillwater, OK, so no idea why he'd be getting this story first. Hopefully this is Big 12 propaganda, because we really need a few more years to rebuild the football program before this goes down.

Frequently wrong.

NC State thinking it can blow up the conference only to be left out of a realignment push would be something else, though.

He’s a Big 12 internet weirdo.

1703363245682.png

Frequently wrong.

NC State thinking it can blow up the conference only to be left out of a realignment push would be something else, though.
Alright good, I figured that was the case and that someone here would immediately be able to clarify... If FSU somehow wins, I would expect the next shoe to drop in a hurry, but this lawsuit is a joke so I doubt half the conference wants to line up behind them.

He's the infamous, moronic CR internet troll who went by the name "The Dude of WV", back in the day.
He's literally made a living throwing isht against the wall & seeing if it'll stick. His basic schtick is that everyone wants to join the Big 12. And of course, that only happened after WVU was invited to the Big 12- which made it inherently superior to the ACC
He's also virulently anti-ACC, simply because Tobacco Road refused to offer his Mountaineers, and they had to settle for a Big 12 lifeline. Approach at your own risk.

They can say whatever they want. If they win or not is up to a judge. No one has tried to get out of a GOR, so who knows and who knows if they reach a settlement.

The ACC has done a terrible job negotiating on behalf of the schools. Look at the media markets. The ACC has 9 of the top 23 markets in their footprint.
No one has tried because that's how strong it is. Their claims ring hollow. They knowingly signed the Gor and stayed with the ACC fully aware of the terms, conditions, revenue, etc. Fully aware and informed. If they thought they wanted more then they should have asked to join the SEC or Big way back in what 2012 or so? My comments don't mean it would not have been nice if the ACC contract was set up better from the media negotiations, I agree with you on that point but that is not the issue. Though as an aside we will be steadily the 3rd highest paid conference as the years continue, more than the Big 12 that for some reason people are pining for.

Why don’t you post what you’re talking about. Reddit threads? Message boards?
Reddit, twitter, any other social media, message boards. I'm sure most of the people don't have true sources, but i'm sure some do. The information isn't coming out of thin air. You know what they say usually when there is smoke there is fire. Our best hope would be for FSU to get shut down by the ACC and we drastically improve our brand over the next 5 years. Also, I don't think many programs in the B12 play lacrosse so that would hurt in other ways.

We could also have very well been in the B10 for a decade now. What i've heard is we were invited to the B10 when we still had our AAU accreditation, however after consulting Boeheim, he preferred the ACC. The next year Rutgers gets the B10 invite. Just think about it. At the time they wanted NY viewers. No way in hell Rutgers gets invited over us. That could possibly forever haunt us.

Last edited:
I agree. We also have a national fan base, especially down the east coast. The ACC really is the best fit for us but when you have programs like FSU who are hell bent on ruining it so they can go 6-6 every year in the SEC it's mind boggling. With the brands the ACC had I'll never understand locking it in for such a long TV contract knowing what the future held. Terrible decision making and foresight.

What I don’t understand is why is the Big12 more likely to survive than the ACC? If the ACC can survive until Big12 contract is up and be proactive about poaching I don’t see why the ACC can’t solidly claim 3rd place over the Big12.

Excuse Me Bluebloods GIF by CBS

I actually think when all is said and done there are teams currently in both the SEC and Big Ten and the Big18 that will be left out.

This is totally about football and name brand that people will invest time or money in.

I think for purposes of putting other conferences out of business it will still be called SEC and B10 but for breaking away from the NCAA and creating your own rules and bylaws I think big changes are coming.

A future league of there own if you will not have time or money to carry stragglers even if they are currently in the conference.

Rutgers, Vanderbilt , Norhtwestern can all be replaced by say Notre Dame , North Carolina , Virginia etc.

I see maybe 48 to 52 teams give or take a couple here and there . They may keep the B10 and SEC names but will no resemble them at all

The money for cable and such is not like it was and if you want to make big money , you have to have big fish to offer every week.

It doesnt help the cuse that like NY lost 100 thousands residents last year and Football has sucked for 20 years.

Things will look very different pretty soon i think

UNC had African and African American Studies Department offer Independent Study classes. AS anybody aware of all matters related to such anywhere, they were going to be sham, because they were all about racial identity politics, hence they were about cheerleading. The dept. executive secretary designed them specifically to help women students (she had been a UNC student and struggled mightily) and non-white male students to help their GPAs a bit. She acknowledged that when the university finally decided it must endure all the racist charges and clean up the mess.

It was never about sports. Debi Crowder actually disliked most sports and especially disliked football. She did admire Dean Smith and so she actively wooed the women's basketball players to the classes. Per capita they were the group that had the highest usage. To Matt Doherty's humor (and he was the only person officially questioned who was brave enough to acknowledge knowing this for the record) the second highest per capita usage was by black fraternities.

The department chair had all the Independent Study students each semester registered to him. It is possible that other professors knew little of what was happening. However, there had been a Daily Tar Heel article about very high grade inflation in the AFAM department that appeared about 2 years before the whole mess was exposed. AFAM grades were far and way the highest of any depatrment at UNC for more than a decade straight - again, obvious racial political stuff, which made it tough for most academics to want to even suggest it perhaps could happen.
So….you think African American studies shouldn’t be offered to college students?

What I don’t understand is why is the Big12 more likely to survive than the ACC? If the ACC can survive until Big12 contract is up and be proactive about poaching I don’t see why the ACC can’t solidly claim 3rd place over the Big12.
All the good teams have been taken

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom