FSU vs The ACC | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

Reality I’d like to see happen:

1. HCFB gets us a top 25 class and a top 10 portal class, really ticking off a lot of non north east programs who feel we could never do that
2. Get into year 1 of the 12 team playoff by beating the hell out of FSU and the NC cabal forcing the talking heads in the ACC network to grovel
3. Fran goes on the warpath for north east football and shakes the powers that be so much that they are forced to rethink who traditional powers can be

Really pie in the sky, but it would be sweet

1. HCFB gets us a top 25 class and a top 10 portal class, really ticking off a lot of non north east programs who feel we could never do that
2. Get into year 1 of the 12 team playoff by beating the hell out of FSU and the NC cabal forcing the talking heads in the ACC network to grovel
3. Fran goes on the warpath for north east football and shakes the powers that be so much that they are forced to rethink who traditional powers can be

It's the season for wishes!

Coach of the year

And moving to diff regions too. I think their exemption covers that too.
None of the other leagues have an exemption, and I don't see MLB doing anything different regionally than they are.

I actually think when all is said and done there are teams currently in both the SEC and Big Ten and the Big18 that will be left out.

This is totally about football and name brand that people will invest time or money in.

I think for purposes of putting other conferences out of business it will still be called SEC and B10 but for breaking away from the NCAA and creating your own rules and bylaws I think big changes are coming.

A future league of there own if you will not have time or money to carry stragglers even if they are currently in the conference.

Rutgers, Vanderbilt , Norhtwestern can all be replaced by say Notre Dame , North Carolina , Virginia etc.

I see maybe 48 to 52 teams give or take a couple here and there . They may keep the B10 and SEC names but will no resemble them at all

The money for cable and such is not like it was and if you want to make big money , you have to have big fish to offer every week.

It doesnt help the cuse that like NY lost 100 thousands residents last year and Football has sucked for 20 years.

Things will look very different pretty soon i think
Your post is close to what I'm coming to believe. The B1G and the SEC as we know them are going away. The key could be the proposal to create a division in which the players are paid. Not everybody in a P4 conference is willing or able to go along with that concept.

People have long said, "Why would any school leave the B1G or SEC when they get so much money?"
Answer, "To get even more money in a superconference of only the Big Boys."

Bama, Georgia, Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State can rid themselves of the "drags" that Northwestern and Vanderbilt (and some other schools that don't realize they're considered drags) are on their moneymaking potential. Invite the teams that are perennially in the Top 5 or 6 of the B1G and SEC, add Texas, Oklahoma, Clemson, and FSU and make that the conference. (ND will only join if the champion of the superconference is come to be viewed as the "true national champion". Keeping ND independent is part of the reason why Sankey made sure that non-conference champions could get in the 12-team playoff. ) The numbers thrown around like 20, 48, 64, etc., are built on a model of keeping all the present members in a conference. The Big Boys are going to leave the others behind, so those numbers are no longer valid and have to be recomputed.

Last edited:
At the end of the day SU will have a seat at the table. JW made the right hires for our key sports. Lacrosse is going to be strong, Womens BBall is crushing it. We recently won the National Championship in Soccer Fran is going to get SU into the top half if not better in the ACC, Red has already made a huge difference as this year's team and roster is on the rise. New facilities, SMU Cal Stanford to the ACC. We are going to be fine.

You have to adjust viewership by a number of factors:

1) Thursday or Friday night game on ESPN will have viewership numbers of 1 million + no matter the school.
2) Atlantic or Coastal? Syracuse plays FSU and Clemson every year, the highest viewership in the ACC. UNC does not. Syracuse's 2 highest viewed games last year were FSU (2.09 million) and Clemson (1.98 million). UNC's highest viewed games were South Carolina (3.4 million) and Miami (3.1 million).
3) Which network? ABC > ESPN > ESPN2 > CW > ESPNU
4) How many games are on ACCN or streamed? These don't count towards ratings and don't dilute a school's viewership.
5) Time slot and competition for a game.
not anymore on your clemson or fsu point

I stand corrected.

lol, UNC is playing at their ceiling while we have been awful and SU is still outdrawing them by 200k tv viewers.

Maybe UNC can stay with the other NC schools in the leftover ACC/AAC while we party in the northern/midwest/west superconference thats forming.
I'm guessing that a year from now our tv numbers will be 3rd best in the league. A lot of interest among college football fans nationwide in what Fran has going on but Woad will still be here telling us how screwed we are.

Some form of a new league will surely want to grab the “NY” market and Cuse. Remember, it’s not about today’s team‘s strength or even the last 10 years. When these deals are done, they are looking out in to the future and market potential.

At the end of the day SU will have a seat at the table. JW made the right hires for our key sports. Lacrosse is going to be strong, Womens BBall is crushing it. We recently won the National Championship in Soccer Fran is going to get SU into the top half if not better in the ACC, Red has already made a huge difference as this year's team and roster is on the rise. New facilities, SMU Cal Stanford to the ACC. We are going to be fine.

Men's basketball is barely a consideration, no one making these determinations cares about lacrosse or any other sport. The rating difference between a pointless bowl game between two mid teams and top 5 basketball matchups between blue bloods is astronomical.

The general consensus right now is that the P2 are looking for marquee matchups, though I feel like that's shortsighted. The big schools need smaller programs to pad their records. A few years of 2-10 and 3-9 seasons and suddenly from Auburn and suddenly people are wondering why a state as small and poor as Mississippi has two teams in.

The general consensus right now is that the P2 are looking for marquee matchups, though I feel like that's shortsighted. The big schools need smaller programs to pad their records. A few years of 2-10 and 3-9 seasons and suddenly from Auburn and suddenly people are wondering why a state as small and poor as Mississippi has two teams in.
If a super conference is developed, I think they would still play schools outside of the super conference. Let's say Georgia was in and Georgia Tech was out, I think they would still play their annual game. And, if the super conference schools play 8 or 9 conference games, they can still get to 6 wins every year.

Look I think things like NIL are going to go away in the new league that will form. The NCAA is even looking at schools directly being able to pay players. You are not going to be invited to play with the big boys if you can pay your team Its a consideration that has to be made. NIL is not going to mean as much in the play for pay segment thats going to be created.

Sure there will be TV contacts with networks and such to the schools but you have to hold your own weight nobody is going to support teams not pulling there weight and just collecting payments . I think this also may mean a type of relegation maybe every 3-5 years of teams as the bottom being rotated out and new teams brought in if they can show they can carry their own weight.

Its a different world than only 2-3 years ago, This is truly about have and have nots and who can bring something worthy to the new entity. If you have less then says 35000 people in attendence , cant raise money, dont have a nice niche in a TV or streaming market, , you simply have little use in whats coming.

The good news I can see something like college basketball where a smaller market or maybe 3-5 of them in a year can make some noise sometimes. As some good players will not want to wait there turn to play in the big boy league and players want to play now.

If a super conference is developed, I think they would still play schools outside of the super conference. Let's say Georgia was in and Georgia Tech was out, I think they would still play their annual game. And, if the super conference schools play 8 or 9 conference games, they can still get to 6 wins every year.
That's assuming the have-nots are willing to play the big boys. That might not always be the case. Some of the biggest traditional rivalries have already been abandoned--like Oklahoma /Nebraska and Texas/A&M.
Yes, the Lone Star rivals are getting back together, but Bedlam (Oklahoma) is dead.

Some schools may not want to send their semi-pros out to be physically manhandled by the new NFL-Lite pro teams.

The rest of the schoolls should just do their own thing and let them make their bed and lie in it.

Look I think things like NIL are going to go away in the new league that will form. The NCAA is even looking at schools directly being able to pay players. You are not going to be invited to play with the big boys if you can pay your team Its a consideration that has to be made. NIL is not going to mean as much in the play for pay segment thats going to be created.

Sure there will be TV contacts with networks and such to the schools but you have to hold your own weight nobody is going to support teams not pulling there weight and just collecting payments . I think this also may mean a type of relegation maybe every 3-5 years of teams as the bottom being rotated out and new teams brought in if they can show they can carry their own weight.

Its a different world than only 2-3 years ago, This is truly about have and have nots and who can bring something worthy to the new entity. If you have less then says 35000 people in attendence , cant raise money, dont have a nice niche in a TV or streaming market, , you simply have little use in whats coming.

The good news I can see something like college basketball where a smaller market or maybe 3-5 of them in a year can make some noise sometimes. As some good players will not want to wait there turn to play in the big boy league and players want to play now.
NIL will never go away. Even if the schools make payments, NIL was made legal by a court ruling and won't just go away.

Your post is close to what I'm coming to believe. The B1G and the SEC as we know them are going away. The key could be the proposal to create a division in which the players are paid. Not everybody in a P4 conference is willing or able to go along with that concept.

People have long said, "Why would any school leave the B1G or SEC when they get so much money?"

Bama, Georgia, Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State can rid themselves of the "drags" that Northwestern and Vanderbilt (and some other schools that don't realize they're considered drags) are on their moneymaking potential. Invite the teams that are perennially in the Top 5 or 6 of the B1G and SEC, add Texas, Oklahoma, Clemson, and FSU and make that the conference. (ND will only join if the champion of the superconference is come to be viewed as the "true national champion". Keeping ND independent is part of the reason why Sankey made sure that non-conference champions could get in the 12-team playoff. ) The numbers thrown around like 20, 48, 64, etc., are built on a model of keeping all the present members in a conference. The Big Boys are going to leave the others behind, so those numbers are no longer valid and have to be recomputed.
Some fans have lost the plot as well. There’s a huge market of college fans that don’t want any part of super leagues and semi pro college football funded by private equity. It’s gross. So many predictions about what will happen and money dominating may fall apart if the streaming dollars dry up.

I also hope a lot of these universities lose their not for profit status. They deserve to. They’ve become corrupt and corporate and completely lost sight of their educational missions. Look, I get that that horse left the barn awhile ago, but it’s time to reign in some of the ridiculous excesses. College sports are great but they aren’t the same as they once were, especially with the direction this is heading in.

Some fans have lost the plot as well. There’s a huge market of college fans that don’t want any part of super leagues and semi pro college football funded by private equity. It’s gross. So many predictions about what will happen and money dominating may fall apart if the streaming dollars dry up.

I also hope a lot of these universities lose their not for profit status. They deserve to. They’ve become corrupt and corporate and lost sight of their educational missions. Sports are great but they aren’t the same as they once were, especially the direction this is heading in.
Well said.

I also hope a lot of these universities lose their not for profit status. They deserve to. They’ve become corrupt and corporate and completely lost sight of their educational missions. Look, I get that that horse left the barn awhile ago, but it’s time to reign in some of the ridiculous excesses. College sports are great but they aren’t the same as they once were, especially with the direction this is heading in.
A-freaking-men.

Two conference super leagues will be of little interest to fans of excluded teams. Why be interested in semi pro ball that does not include your own team? One can just watch the NFL with a salary cap and higher level of play. Excluded fans' betting dollars will go more to the NFL. Viewership and interest down. Media structures changing. Be careful what you wish for.

Two conference super leagues will be of little interest to fans of excluded teams. Why be interested in semi pro ball that does not include your own team? One can just watch the NFL with a salary cap and higher level of play. Excluded fans' betting dollars will go more to the NFL. Viewership and interest down. Media structures changing. Be careful what you wish for.
The point of the super conferences would be to include the largest/riches fan bases so that it will attract the most eyes AND dollars. Their bet is that the money lost by fans dropping away for the schools being left out, will be outweighed by the additional money earned from those fanbases who are “in.” Only time will tell if they are right I guess, but given revenues increase annually, I’m sure they will spin it as being right even if they aren’t.

If your school is left out, it would be no different than if you were a current sun belt fan. you go about your life, very few die hards following that school and limited dollars flowing through and around the program in comparison to the “big boys”

if you are out, you probably lose even more fans (as you mentioned) and have even less dollars flowing through your program than before. Which is why schools and fanbases across the country are worried about being left out in the cold.

Bunch of nonsense

I just read that about half a dozen ACC schools joined Florida State in the lawsuit. This is going to break up if half the teams want out, and the big one (ND) was never really "in".

And will anything close to these dollars remain when cable dies within the next 10 years?

Pitt is a similar football brand to Syracuse right now, with a weaker basketball program, and an overlapping geographic footprint for the B1G, and Penn State won't want their in-state rivals in the same conference. Zero chance they land in the SEC.

Georgia Tech adds nothing to the SEC and since this is not about cable households anymore adds nothing to the B1G.

Regardless of whether it's the Big 12 or the ACC that's left as the leftovers conference, all three of these schools are in it.

Georgia Tech is still a brand. This is the part that the UConn fans didn't understand about ACC expansion. Somebody is going to be happy to have Ga. Tech in their league.

Maybe so, but not all of these "super elite" teams can all win 10 games and make the playoffs every year without the other teams to beat up on. Perfectly good programs are going to turn into perpetual losers in their new leagues. Just look at Nebraska, for instance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom