FSU vs The ACC | Page 46 | Syracusefan.com

FSU vs The ACC

Interesting listen and gives an insight into the FSU minds. As per this guy, FSU Board of Trustees has raised $300 million to get out of the ACC but wants to get out for $150 million.

Starts at 30:14 for reference FSU And ACC Fallout
I didn't listen to the audio, to the remainder of the their assessment:

1) How is that a university that had no money to settle while demanding the ACC settle for $100MM on a ten year payback plan now has $150MM? Seriously, if they could raise money that fast why didn't they raise any before starting the ruckus? And if they can raise $150MM in six weeks why not wait a few more months and raise the full amount?⁸
2) See Hoo's That's point. If the GOR can be broken, all GORs can be broken.
3) If FSU will break one GOR, they will do so again if they see an opportunity.
4) If FSU negotiated a settlement, the cost of settling must be deducted from future payouts. Example: Assume FSU joins the B1G: they are not likely to get the USC sweetheart deal. They will get something for the duration of the present contract less the cost of buying out of the ACC contract. They will lose money for at least the duration of the present B1G contract. Any accounting student could see this, and CPA is probably screaming at the top of their lungs that this is risky. And if they get the Washington/Oregon deal, FSU will lose money on the payout plus the costs of the settlement.
5) The ACC withdrawal fee is $120MM give or take. The rights buyback from ESPN and the loss to the ACC is the lion's share of any FSU exit settlement. Unless ESPN has guaranteed a soft landing, FSU is in deep trouble. If ESPN has guaranteed FSU a soft landing, then ESPN may be liable for interfering and dealing in bad faith with the ACC. Basically, fraud, which in the federal courts may be punished up to ten-fold. Yup, FSU and ESPN could face a five billion dollar liability if their has been any assurance. I don't think this has happened as ESPN is not likely to provide any assurances and even approach the line of tortious interference or bad faith dealing with the ACC, it's simply not worth the risk.
6) FSU may claim UMD as precedent but FSU demanded the threefold annual TV payout withdrawal fee. This means that FSU is not likely to be able to withdraw for a penny less than the contracted withdrawal fee.

Just a few more thoughts regarding FSU.

Incentive to settle (at a very steep price to FSU) is that for the league even a 5% chance of losing is existential.
Your points is a valid point but I think the ACC's strategy is to force FSU to make the mistake. If the GORs are worthless in court, they are all worthless and Hoo's That's scenario is only a matter of time. This, if the GOR is useless, the ACC may as well get it over with.

FSU's future plans will be blown up if they win as all GORs will then be useless. It's not like most of the historical blue bloods will trust FSU as a partner after stabbing their long term partner in the back. Rather, there is likely to be a cool down period for FSU admin to change personnel before taking a chance with them.

Your points is a valid point but I think the ACC's strategy is to force FSU to make the mistake. If the GORs are worthless in court, they are all worthless and Hoo's That's scenario is only a matter of time. This, if the GOR is useless, the ACC may as well get it over with.

FSU's future plans will be blown up if they win as all GORs will then be useless. It's not like most of the historical blue bloods will trust FSU as a partner after stabbing their long term partner in the back. Rather, there is likely to be a cool down period for FSU admin to change personnel before taking a chance with them.
If FSU can’t get out of the ACC in the next few years, give me some popcorn and a beer as their delutional fans and ACC haters (aka WVU and Rutgers) will be in complete full meltdown mode that has been unprecedented to-date.

That was probably true…… until the SEC added Texas.
Jonny come lately Texas A&M doesn’t have any where near the pull of founding member Florida who also has the most championships of any other SEC team and it’s not close.

I just can't wrap my head around anyone's ideas in this thread that the ACC should/could/might/will "settle" this lawsuit. Would you fold if you had a royal flush? Just because the other guy said pretty please?

I just can't wrap my head around anyone's ideas in this thread that the ACC should/could/might/will "settle" this lawsuit. Would you fold if you had a royal flush? Just because the other guy said pretty please?
Unexpected outcomes happen in courts.

If FSU can’t get out of the ACC in the next few years, give me some popcorn and a beer as their delutional fans and ACC haters (aka WVU and Rutgers) will be in complete full meltdown mode that has been unprecedented to-date.
We will all buy stock in Orville Redenbacher's company and retire early.

Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Maryland would be dropped so fast if this is the case.

I still think the two sides will come to a settlement. More than 150mm, less 500mm. I also think the deal that FSU strikes will end up putting them in a worse position than the schools that stay because no one knows how it all shakes out in 10 years anyway. However, FSU will have had to pay all this money to go...nowhere maybe
Saban was quoted in the press as saying out loud, "Why should we be subsidizing Vanderbilt?" Leaving the SEC for an even greener pasture will end the "subsidy."

The big surprise is going to be for teams like Iowa, Minnesota, Arkansas, and Mississippi State who think they're good enough to be chosen, but won't be.

Last edited:
I didn't listen to the audio, to the remainder of the their assessment:

1) How is that a university that had no money to settle while demanding the ACC settle for $100MM on a ten year payback plan now has $150MM? Seriously, if they could raise money that fast why didn't they raise any before starting the ruckus? And if they can raise $150MM in six weeks why not wait a few more months and raise the full amount?⁸
2) See Hoo's That's point. If the GOR can be broken, all GORs can be broken.
3) If FSU will break one GOR, they will do so again if they see an opportunity.
4) If FSU negotiated a settlement, the cost of settling must be deducted from future payouts. Example: Assume FSU joins the B1G: they are not likely to get the USC sweetheart deal. They will get something for the duration of the present contract less the cost of buying out of the ACC contract. They will lose money for at least the duration of the present B1G contract. Any accounting student could see this, and CPA is probably screaming at the top of their lungs that this is risky. And if they get the Washington/Oregon deal, FSU will lose money on the payout plus the costs of the settlement.
5) The ACC withdrawal fee is $120MM give or take. The rights buyback from ESPN and the loss to the ACC is the lion's share of any FSU exit settlement. Unless ESPN has guaranteed a soft landing, FSU is in deep trouble. If ESPN has guaranteed FSU a soft landing, then ESPN may be liable for interfering and dealing in bad faith with the ACC. Basically, fraud, which in the federal courts may be punished up to ten-fold. Yup, FSU and ESPN could face a five billion dollar liability if their has been any assurance. I don't think this has happened as ESPN is not likely to provide any assurances and even approach the line of tortious interference or bad faith dealing with the ACC, it's simply not worth the risk.
6) FSU may claim UMD as precedent but FSU demanded the threefold annual TV payout withdrawal fee. This means that FSU is not likely to be able to withdraw for a penny less than the contracted withdrawal fee.

Just a few more thoughts regarding FSU.
ESPN has zero incentive to have FSU join the B1G since Fox now has 100% of the B1G's TV contract.

Saban was quoted in the press as saying out loud, "Why should we be subsidizing Vanderbilt?" Leaving the SEC for an even greener pasture will end the "subsidy."

The big surprise is going to be for teams like Iowa, Minnesota, Arkansas, and Mississippi State who think they're good enough to be chosen, but won't be.
The most arrogant along those lines are the BT schools. In terms of CFB watching and talent production, sites like IA, MN, WI, NE, IN are nobodies. So any school in such states that cannot fill a 70K stadium all the time is worth very little and would be dropped if GORs all go away and the most powerful schools in the BT/SEC decide to cull their nobody league members. Little MS in most years produces more talent than MN, IA, and NE combined.

So, just to recap, FSU believes that the ACC will be willing to settle for less than 15% of the total worth of the contract, because they want to avoid "dirty laundry"?
And...they believe that they'll overturn the GOR, something no other conference or institution has been able to accomplish, and has studiously avoided because of its impact? Got it.
What dirty laundry could there possibly be?

Jonny come lately Texas A&M doesn’t have any where near the pull of founding member Florida who also has the most championships of any other SEC team and it’s not close.

Yeah, old school thought. SEC will do what it thinks is in its best interest with Florida likes it or not. It was always assumed SEC would never have competing schools in the same state. If they think FSU brings value they’ll bring them on.

It will be announced after basketball season. You don't see gbo posting here any longer, Clemson is going too.
Sigh. gbo posted on the board today….

It was always assumed SEC would never have competing schools in the same state.
The SEC has always had competing schools in the same state, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi and now Texas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom