Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

I don't think it's income levels or age of the crowd - I think SU doesn't value the fan that shows up which helps the wavering fan to say "you know what I'm just going to watch at home". Obviously winning would help, but we aren't drawing 40,000 plus for WF or NC State even if we are undefeated.

SU's idea of "valuing the fan" seems to involve moving up the football renewal date by a month, then calling to harass me three times a week at weird times of the day because I haven't renewed yet.

But hey, once they mailed us a plastic license plate frame.

And here is the biggest problem with the "just win and they will come" folks. Yeah, they'll come, but only if we were on an undefeted streak. That just wont happen while playing in the ACC Atlantic. The fans in cuse wont come out in droves to support a solid 7-5/8-4 team and that's sad. Expectations need to be tempered a bit.

How can they put a hard roof on without doing something with the walls? It was my understanding previously that the current structure could not support a hard roof.
Who said the weren't doing something about the walls? That's the reason the new roof will cost as much as it does.

Michele Wheatly’s proposed STEM focus divides SU faculty
So I think this sheds a little light on some of the challenges that the administration faces with regard to spending. The humanities faculty seem to see a problem with spending anywhere but on them. I have been saying for some time that the school is headed in the direction of STEM and research in part to raise the academic profile and in part to raise the potential income through new programs, papers, grants, and patents. Michele Wheatly's hiring was a sign that was clearly pointing in that direction ( Michele Wheatly's push for STEM strategy follows trend of her career ) and the new CFO hire is along the same path. Syverud himself is a symbol of this direction. The rhetoric in the above article is some of why we are having a problem with AD spending on things like the Dome. I see the other side too, but they seem to be becoming more a roadblock than facilitators and protectors of the academics.

And here is the biggest problem with the "just win and they will come" folks. Yeah, they'll come, but only if we were on an undefeted streak. That just wont happen while playing in the ACC Atlantic. The fans in cuse wont come out in droves to support a solid 7-5/8-4 team and that's sad. Expectations need to be tempered a bit.
I think they will support the team if consistently 7-5, 8-4. The problem is, those days have not be seen in 2 decades. The fair weather fans got tired of waiting which is why they (including some here in this forum) now don't go to the games.

SU's idea of "valuing the fan" seems to involve moving up the football renewal date by a month, then calling to harass me three times a week at weird times of the day because I haven't renewed yet.

But hey, once they mailed us a plastic license plate frame.

Renewal calls were the WORST

Renewal calls were the WORST

Yeah, I feel bad for these young folks leaving the voicemails. I see that "443" exchange and I send it right to voicemail. I had a job fresh out of college that required some cold-calling...that didn't last long.

Who said the weren't doing something about the walls? That's the reason the new roof will cost as much as it does.

The post that I quoted, which said: "Last numbers I heard was about $100 million to install a fixed roof, led lighting & sound system leaving everything else like the walls the same (smaller projects like lockers, boxes and seating can happen at any time)"

The post that I quoted, which said: "Last numbers I heard was about $100 million to install a fixed roof, led lighting & sound system leaving everything else like the walls the same (smaller projects like lockers, boxes and seating can happen at any time)"
ok... I get it. Honestly, I don't believe much about this. First the news from the trusted source was a fabric roof only. Then it changed because that trusted source was somehow not trusted anymore. I tend to wait until SU makes its announcements which, though frustrating to wait for, rarely match the "in the know" statements we see here.

I am pretty sure they will have to do something to bolster the walls to support a new roof but that does not necessarily entail wider concourse at least at first.

ok... I get it. Honestly, I don't believe much about this. First the news from the trusted source was a fabric roof only. Then it changed because that trusted source was somehow not trusted anymore. I tend to wait until SU makes its announcements which, though frustrating to wait for, rarely match the "in the know" statements we see here.

I am pretty sure they will have to do something to bolster the walls to support a new roof but that does not necessarily entail wider concourse at least at first.

Going back and reading through his post, I assume that's what he meant about not touching the walls - the concourse walls and blowing out the east and west walls to add expansions, which is what was initially leaked.

Yeah, I feel bad for these young folks leaving the voicemails. I see that "443" exchange and I send it right to voicemail. I had a job fresh out of college that required some cold-calling...that didn't last long.

Haha yeah it was never fun. Always felt like I was bothering people. "Hey do you want to renew 3 months before the deadline for absolutely no reason/incentive? No?! I am shocked!"

A lot of the extra cost was the widening of the concourse and extension to the building next to it including a large patio deck which is far different than what you point out from a cost projection. Regarding xc84's comments above about sources, that's why I post less and less anymore. I'm done on this thread so let's just all remain in the dark and just wait until the formal announcement is made regardless of what I find out moving forward. Nuff said on my part.

Last edited:
A lot of the extra cost was the widening of the concourse and extension to the building next to it including a large patio deck which is far different than what you point out from a cost projection. Regarding x84's comments above about sources, that's why I post less and less anymore. I'm done on this thread so let's just all remain in the dark and just wait until the formal announcement regardless of what I find out moving forward. Nuff said on my part.

Don't be done, post what you hear from reliable sources. Filter for reactionary comments and go from there. You posted this was from a source and that is sufficient. Whether we handle the info for what it is - second/third hand - is determined by our own perceptions.

Personally, I believe that KS has the right focus and will not let everything fall apart. He has experience and he has a plan. NC left the checkbook in disarray but KS is gettting SU back on track.

How can they put a hard roof on without doing something with the walls? It was my understanding previously that the current structure could not support a hard roof.
They can't. The existing columns can't hold a fixed roof, let alone a fixed roof and the existing fabric and steel roof.

If you believe the stated requirement that the home Football and basketball sehedules cannot be affected by the renovation, they are going to have to build a fixed roof over the existing domed roof. That means a whole other set of columns to support the new roof. They have to be outside the existing columns. Phase one could just include the new exterior columns and the new fixed roof, leaving the existing exterior walls intact. Phase 2 could involve removing the old exterior walls and building new ones and presumably extending concourses to the new exterior walls.

One thing that has been consistent from the start has been the requirement to not lose a season for football or basketball. So maybe that is how things will play out...

chakka3421, please keep posting what you hear. As we get snippets from different sources, it helps everyone to form opinions on the big picture. Not sure KS knows what is going to happen right now, so it is no surprise we are getting conflicting info...

Last edited:
Michele Wheatly’s proposed STEM focus divides SU faculty
So I think this sheds a little light on some of the challenges that the administration faces with regard to spending. The humanities faculty seem to see a problem with spending anywhere but on them. I have been saying for some time that the school is headed in the direction of STEM and research in part to raise the academic profile and in part to raise the potential income through new programs, papers, grants, and patents. Michele Wheatly's hiring was a sign that was clearly pointing in that direction ( Michele Wheatly's push for STEM strategy follows trend of her career ) and the new CFO hire is along the same path. Syverud himself is a symbol of this direction. The rhetoric in the above article is some of why we are having a problem with AD spending on things like the Dome. I see the other side too, but they seem to be becoming more a roadblock than facilitators and protectors of the academics.

What? You mean the liberal arts (humanities) has an issue with spending on Science, Tech and Math? STEM should always get a larger budget than humanities, particularly since many humanity's degrees are worthless.

What? You mean the liberal arts (humanities) has an issue with spending on Science, Tech and Math? STEM should always get a larger budget than humanities, particularly since many humanity's degrees are worthless.
What you say may or may not be true (worthless) I have my own opinion, but it seems pretty clear the humanities feel they are being viewed as worthless and they are putting up a fight in what is starting to feel like a last ditch effort to establish/maintain relevance. Problem is that the more they protest the more ears are going to go deaf to them. There is a sad component to it, in that the arts and writing are historically strong Syracuse programs. Newhouse and architecture aren't going anywhere, but I don't see Architecture getting any more money that they don't raise themselves for a long time. Management is clearly on board with integrating (Architecture will be too) and I think there will be more blending of analytics with Maxwell programs, so the outliers are theater, and art (and there are ample opportunities to find ways to integrate graphic design) as well as writing and philosophies. I say integrate or risk being left out in the cold. This is a money game and the school can't continue to increase tuition to cover itself with less and less students interested in "worthless" degrees. They know it, they just don't like the taste of it I think.

A lot of the extra cost was the widening of the concourse and extension to the building next to it including a large patio deck which is far different than what you point out from a cost projection. Regarding xc84's comments above about sources, that's why I post less and less anymore. I'm done on this thread so let's just all remain in the dark and just wait until the formal announcement is made regardless of what I find out moving forward. Nuff said on my part.

Yeah after reading your post again, I figured out that's what you were most likely referring to. Sorry for the confusion.

Noooooo! Please don't stop posting. You are pretty much my #1 resource on all things related to Syracuse administrative decisions.
Your content accuracy makes the Post Standard look like Esquirer.

I beg to differ. Many people, including myself, within my company have humanities degrees. I've worked with a number of people throughout my career who are in leadership positions with a humanities degree. Just because you or someone who know is a waiter doesn't mean the degree is worthless.

Regarding the renovation, to avoid disrupting football and basketball season, the project will have to be done in multiple phases like Madison Square Garden did to avoid losing Knicks and Rangers revenue.

I beg to differ. Many people, including myself, within my company have humanities degrees. I've worked with a number of people throughout my career who are in leadership positions with a humanities degree. Just because you or someone who know is a waiter doesn't mean the degree is worthless.

Regarding the renovation, to avoid disrupting football and basketball season, the project will have to be done in multiple phases like Madison Square Garden did to avoid losing Knicks and Rangers revenue.
You are correct on both your points; however, the difference between humanity disciplines and STEM disciplines is that the latter requires more hardware investment. An English or J-School major doesn't need the same computers and lab equipment. Full disclosure: I was in a Maxwell school program.

You are correct on both your points; however, the difference between humanity disciplines and STEM disciplines is that the latter requires more hardware investment. An English or J-School major doesn't need the same computers and lab equipment. Full disclosure: I was in a Maxwell school program.
I was too. Are those considered Humanities disciplines?

I said many, not all.

"All science is either physics or stamp collecting." Attributed to Rutherford.

As was I.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom