Class of 2015 - G Franklin Howard (MD) Verballed to Syracuse | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 G Franklin Howard (MD) Verballed to Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Autry's head bounces up and down like a bball.

Has there been a strategy change in our recruiting targets for PG? Appears that we're recruiting more SG's and converting them to PG's the past few years (with Ennis being the exception since around 2007).

Cheriehoop said:
Has there been a strategy change in our recruiting targets for PG? Appears that we're recruiting more SG's and converting them to PG's the past few years (with Ennis being the exception since around 2007).

I think they are going after the very tall point guard. The problem is, even if a kid has natural point guard skills, if he is 6'5, he has to play SG or SF, because most high schools have an abundance of guards. So, it would appear that SU is using it's connections to identify tall guards that have point guard instincts.

Highlights from Paul VI game tonight versus St. John's will be up in a couple hours along with some general notes about Frank. He has most definitely made some improvements to his game, and they are advanced improvements you don't see in a lot of HS players .. stay tuned.

One observation I made time after time tonight regarding Frank was the way he was able to sell fouls. Yes some may call it flopping. But it goes beyond that. When he feels a defender on his hip and flails he gets whistles. Now some of this is because of his super-star status. One time a defender tried to draw a charge, and when any other player would just stand there and wait for the call, Frank intentionally fell down also and kind of drew the block and it was the type of play where a charge would typically have been the call, but since Frank also hit the deck, I guess the ref felt compelled to call a block. Frank drew 5 of these flailing, floppish type fouls tonight, got 6 free throw attempts out of these type of fouls drawn, and this is just another dimension of his maturity and progression that is impressive.
I am not biased whatsoever, so i'm not going to sugar coat anything.
Another observation ..
Frank did very little in the way of dribbling the ball up the court (typical point guard duties), however he did operate Paul Vi's half court sets from the top of the key and facilitate extremely well. His passing ability and vision is superb at this level. He penetrated well and kicked. He did have 4 or 5 turnovers, but he also played close to all 32 minutes before fouling out with about 10 seconds left and his team has an incredibly thin bench so he's going to be asked to play extended minutes in every game they don't win going away.
I will also be at the Oak Hill game saturday and will film and put highlights up, that will be a very tough game where their lack of depth could potentially get exploited.

Thanks for the video. One thing is noticeable. He has to improve his defense a lot if he's going to see much time as a freshmen. He and many of his teammates are not very aware of where the ball is. Getting back is not just locating your man but also knowing where the ball is. When the ball goes up he doesn't even try to box out. On a couple of the clips a shot goes up and his man is going to the offense boards and Frank just turns and watches. He does have offensive skills.

It has been hard for me to get a fix on this kid. His earlier vids did not impress me, but they were from pre-injury and he was very raw at that point in time.

His recent performances, at least statistically, have been stellar, and he seems to be improving dramatically as the rust wears off.

I am not sold that he is a true PG, as opposed to an unselfish 2G w vision and passing skills. No question his length will be intimidating at the top of the zone once he learns D rotations.

He may be a bad fit for our existing team as he seems to have a knack for scoring - LOL !!!

He is one of the few recruits whose game seems unique as he does not remind me of anybody in particular.

Anyways, I find him to be the most intriging recruit we have had in quite some time.

I think he will need one or two seasons to adjust, but I love his upside.

Go Frank !!!

One observation I made time after time tonight regarding Frank was the way he was able to sell fouls. Yes some may call it flopping. But it goes beyond that. When he feels a defender on his hip and flails he gets whistles. Now some of this is because of his super-star status. One time a defender tried to draw a charge, and when any other player would just stand there and wait for the call, Frank intentionally fell down also and kind of drew the block and it was the type of play where a charge would typically have been the call, but since Frank also hit the deck, I guess the ref felt compelled to call a block. Frank drew 5 of these flailing, floppish type fouls tonight, got 6 free throw attempts out of these type of fouls drawn, and this is just another dimension of his maturity and progression that is impressive.
I am not biased whatsoever, so i'm not going to sugar coat anything.
Another observation ..
Frank did very little in the way of dribbling the ball up the court (typical point guard duties), however he did operate Paul Vi's half court sets from the top of the key and facilitate extremely well. His passing ability and vision is superb at this level. He penetrated well and kicked. He did have 4 or 5 turnovers, but he also played close to all 32 minutes before fouling out with about 10 seconds left and his team has an incredibly thin bench so he's going to be asked to play extended minutes in every game they don't win going away.
I will also be at the Oak Hill game saturday and will film and put highlights up, that will be a very tough game where their lack of depth could potentially get exploited.
Thanks for posting the vids and recap.

Franky vs the Machine is coming on in a little bit. Stream from the second game seems of good quality. Should be fun.

Howard has 7 points early, only Paul VI player to hit a field goal. 3/4 shooting, had one nice pass that led to foul shots and one errant with a side of too much mustard pass.

Great on ball defending at the top of the key as Howard realized the game clock was running out. Forced the other team to shot clock violation. He then just front rimmed a three quarter court heave to end the first quarter. Shot the ball well, will play some point as second quarter starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.