G | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

G

Too old.
He'll be old but it's not often that a 6'7 guard from a major school comes out in the draft. If he's putting up 15-20 points per game, he'll get drafted and I think he could slide into the first if he explodes onto the scene and we have a good team next year.

You obviously don't realize that Rak and Trevor are the reasons G is always open. That being said, he has delivered more than he hasn't and is becoming an NBA level player. Not a star, maybe not a rotation guy, but a player in the league.

Don't think that's true at all, at least the first part. I've seen numerous times G open himself up and create his own shots, especially late in games. Players may focus on Rak and Cooney, but G has shown he's capable of driving and beating opponents off the dribble.

Have a weird feeling that Coleman's about to make an AO like transformation.

Maybe its baseless optimism, ...but I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my toes.
It's written on the wind . . . it's everywhere I go . . .

I think its 40/60 on G coming back next year. I just don't see him coming back.

After the flame-out last year and the ban this year, and assuming we're eligible next year, I just don't see any way Mike will pass up an opportunity to lead his team to a Final 4.

Trying to rationalize decisions of players (who are college age) using ones own perspective as an adult and fan doesn't ever seem to get old around here.

You obviously don't realize that Rak and Trevor are the reasons G is always open. That being said, he has delivered more than he hasn't and is becoming an NBA level player. Not a star, maybe not a rotation guy, but a player in the league.

i realize that people give Cooney credit for everything that any other player does. Its comical. G scores because he can beat his man off the dribble, every time. No one else on SU can do this.

I think its 40/60 on G coming back next year. I just don't see him coming back.

agree. from everything i have heard... those are very good numbers to go by. Not everyone thinks basketball is their whole life.

I have said all year that G is our best all around player, and I dont think that is really a debate. He surely has some What moments, and is not nearly as consistent as Rak, but he is really coming in to his own. He is literally the only player on our team who can consistently create his own shot and finish it. Rak is our most important player and the focal point of the offense, as he should be, but G is just amazing.

He is a good shooter (FT line aside). He has one thing going that Trevor doesnt, the ability to get open. When you are open, you get better looks and you will knock more down. Trevor would beat him in a game of HORSE, but in game situations most of his shots are heavily contested because he can not get open vs good man to man D.

If G returns next year, he will without a doubt be our best player and lead the team in scoring. Cooney will take the most shots, but G is much much more efficient. He will be a 15 - 5- 5 guy and All ACC. There is a reason Duke signed him, he is versatile as hell and athletic as hell. If not for Rak, we would be talking about G as possibly the best improvement SU has ever had from one season to the next.

Rak is our best player. Not only is he just fundamentally a better player for his position in terms of shooting, footwork, defense, etc, a good big man in college is incredibly rare.

G is our second best player, imo. But what he does versus what an average P5 player at his spot would give isn't nearly as much of a difference between what the average center gives for a P5 team.

Last edited:
This thread is not about Cooney, as much as you will try to make it one, but if you think Trevor is a better overall player than G... you are out of your mind.
Talk to the head coaches we face. they put their best defender on Cooney for a reason. I like G a lot. But the person that was out of their mind was you . With your evaluation of Cooney, you have a long way to go to gain credibility.

agree. from everything i have heard... those are very good numbers to go by. Not everyone thinks basketball is their whole life.
not trying to be confrontational but what does this even mean? are you saying he doesn't like basketball? he's going to pursue a different career?

How do we know that G has finished his degree? If there is a question about coming back, and I am not agreeing that there is, jb would talk to G and that would be that. Except if we get another year on the ban. All bets would be off then. G loves being an Orangeman. and that isn't guess work. That is from his lips.

Wes also left with 1 year left. Also, G is not the college player Wes was. Not even close.

These are Mike's ACC stats:
15.2 pts, 49% fg, 49% 3pt, 51% ft, 5.8 reb, 4 as, .45 blk, 2.1 stl
Wes was obviously a better rebounder, ft shooter and shot blocker but Mike is a better ball handler, play maker and ball hawk. Yes Wes was a better player but Mike's recent play isn't far behind Wes and really they are pretty different players as far as their roll in college.

Wes was obviously a better rebounder, ft shooter and shot blocker but Mike is a better ball handler, play maker and ball hawk. Yes Wes was a better player but Mike's recent play isn't far behind Wes and really they are pretty different players as far as their roll in college.
I really like G but Wes was a real game changer for us.

Unless people are talking too G or his family I honestly don't get this telephone game of speculation.

Are people talking to real people or are they playing the Fox News/MSNBC some people say routine where they are actually the people questioning.

I have heard legit information about 1 player being unhappy and a candidate to move on but I won't spread ANYTHING on it till the season is over.

I have said all year that G is our best all around player, and I dont think that is really a debate. He surely has some What moments, and is not nearly as consistent as Rak, but he is really coming in to his own. He is literally the only player on our team who can consistently create his own shot and finish it. Rak is our most important player and the focal point of the offense, as he should be, but G is just amazing.

He is a good shooter (FT line aside). He has one thing going that Trevor doesnt, the ability to get open. When you are open, you get better looks and you will knock more down. Trevor would beat him in a game of HORSE, but in game situations most of his shots are heavily contested because he can not get open vs good man to man D.

If G returns next year, he will without a doubt be our best player and lead the team in scoring. Cooney will take the most shots, but G is much much more efficient. He will be a 15 - 5- 5 guy and All ACC. There is a reason Duke signed him, he is versatile as hell and athletic as hell. If not for Rak, we would be talking about G as possibly the best improvement SU has ever had from one season to the next.

Honestly--even when proven wrong, you just can't stop beating a dead horse, can you? Did Cooney piss in your cheerios or something?

i realize that people give Cooney credit for everything that any other player does. Its comical. G scores because he can beat his man off the dribble, every time. No one else on SU can do this.

Cooney and Rak do draw defensive attention but no one is leaving Mike like they do Kaleb, Buss, Tyler and BJ. So Mike is certainly creating his own shot more than anyone else and he's creating opportunities for his assists quite often by beating his man as well.

I really like G but Wes was a real game changer for us.

So is Mike, imagine this team without him?

Have a weird feeling that Coleman's about to make an AO like transformation.

Maybe its baseless optimism, ...but I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my toes.
It's not baseless. You see that he is working like a dog and has transformed his body. He is on the bench cheering his heart out for his team. He has not given up on playing for us. It has been a lifelong dream - as well as playing for the NBA. He is not giving up! That's why you have optimism, dontcha think?

Those are all-conference numbers. G and Rak will likely make all-ACC. Rak 1st team and G 3rd team.
Cooney will get honorable mention.

Please name one Syracuse player that has done that? And as I have said before, don't include devo. Every player that could return for that 5th year has.
Mookie

Those are all-conference numbers. G and Rak will likely make all-ACC. Rak 1st team and G 3rd team.
Cooney will get honorable mention.

If both show well down the stretch against Duke x2, ND, Lville and UVA I don't see how both aren't on the all ACC teams. Rak should be a lock for 1st team with Okafor. Harrell may drop to 2nd team.

All
If both show well down the stretch against Duke x2, ND, Lville and UVA I don't see how both aren't on the all ACC teams. Rak should be a lock for 1st team with Okafor. Harrell may drop to 2nd team.
All-ACC teams use only stats in conference games so that helps Gbinije and Anderson getting hurt probably drops him off first team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom