Women's Lacrosse - Gary Gait switching sides... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Women's Lacrosse Gary Gait switching sides...

Shay has built his own ship with his freshman class sitting out this year and next years incoming freshman he will have more UA All Americans then any other coach in the country

Is the rumor true?
F1202288-E1C4-4B0D-8E3F-9F05713B8CE0.jpeg

I don't disagree with the optics that Kelly points out. But a couple of things make it ok. His son has committed to Syracuse. This is not necessary to "seal the deal" or anything. The son is as Orange as can be. From all I am hearing Joe is a really great coach and if you remove the son from the picture we would be lucky to have him here. Given all of that, I will put my optic blinders on. Already from an optic standpoint we have taken a coach who was an amazing coach for the women and took them to the brink of a NC with every obstacle thrown his way. So to move him from a successful women's program to the less than successful men's program is fraught with bad optics and the potential thought that men's sports are far superior or more important than women's sports. Once again if Joe Spallina is the best coach out there , then he should get the job regardless of his son, or the alumni affiliation.

Isnt kayla treanor 27ish, not saying impossible, but thats a bit young and shes not a head coach, axe should know that tweet is wrong based strictly on credentials. Im biased but id give katie rowan the job. Shed kill it here.

Not happy that this was not known before by the women. Once again a dis to women's sports. If he told them on Zoom this morning, I think they read it all over the place last night. A little late to the game. These returning players were in the NC game a week ago. Don't they deserve better than to read this on twitter.
Sounds like the gun was jumped. It's too bad that's what transpired but unless Gait was telling everyone but his own team hopefully they would umderstsnd. They definitely deserved better.

Not happy that this was not known before by the women. Once again a dis to women's sports. If he told them on Zoom this morning, I think they read it all over the place last night. A little late to the game. These returning players were in the NC game a week ago. Don't they deserve better than to read this on twitter.

In a perfect world, Inside Lacrosse would have sat on the story until SU made an official announcement.

No different than a HS kid who has his college announcement set for 8 PM Thursday, and one of the recruiting services ruins his moment 1-2 days earlier.

This stuff happens all the time with coaching changes. Someone in the media finds out and leaks it before an official announcement is made. Anything to get a scoop. I'm sure that Gait would have talked with his players before an official announcement was made and them finding out through social media was never intended by the coach or university.

This stuff happens all the time with coaching changes. Someone in the media finds out and leaks it before an official announcement is made. Anything to get a scoop. I'm sure that Gait would have talked with his players before an official announcement was made and them finding out through social media was never intended by the coach or university.
Agree with this 100%. Based on the timeline I’m surprised it didn’t come out sooner.

Whoever says that Kayla Treanor isn't ready for a HC gig obviously doesn't know what they're talking about and doesn't watch enough women's lacrosse. Regardless of whether the AD thinks she's too young for a HC job, I think her resume speaks for itself. Not only her legendary career with the orange, she's only been coaching collegiately for 5 years, yet has had so much success. Took a mediocre BC team and made them into a national powerhouse program. Not only has she just won her first national championship, but has taken Sam Apuzzo's and Charlotte North's games to the next level-- so much so, that they went on to win the Tewaaratan Awards in 2018 and 2021. She is the one bringing in that talent to BC. All of the younger generation wants to play for HER! She is ready for a head coaching gig, and what better than for her to come home to her alma matter. Better to strike now before another top program like a Duke WLAX or UVA WLAX comes calling, then it will be harder to get her to leave.

If they cannot get that done then the only logical option is Spallina, if we want to remain a competitive program in the ACC. He has more than proven his worth in the lax world. Not only that, but he has a daughter in 8th grade who plays on varsity that is really good and could very well go #1 in her class just like her brother Joey. She belongs in Orange! There's not a doubt in my mind that Spallina would/could win many NC here in the future.

Some people on here are saying they want Rowan, Tumolo, and Regy-- and although I love and appreciate each of those candidates and all they have done for our program-- if we want to remain an elite program the top two I mentioned are the best bet for the future. lastly, Gait should be advocating for Treanor and Spallina/have some say in the matter. The team next year should be really talented and could very well win a Championship given we have the right coaches on the sidelines.

Everybody read it on Twitter

the leak made it impossible to execute the switch the way it was planned

Whoever says that Kayla Treanor isn't ready for a HC gig obviously doesn't know what they're talking about and doesn't watch enough women's lacrosse. Regardless of whether the AD thinks she's too young for a HC job, I think her resume speaks for itself. Not only her legendary career with the orange, she's only been coaching collegiately for 5 years, yet has had so much success. Took a mediocre BC team and made them into a national powerhouse program. Not only has she just won her first national championship, but has taken Sam Apuzzo's and Charlotte North's games to the next level-- so much so, that they went on to win the Tewaaratan Awards in 2018 and 2021. She is the one bringing in that talent to BC. All of the younger generation wants to play for HER! She is ready for a head coaching gig, and what better than for her to come home to her alma matter. Better to strike now before another top program like a Duke WLAX or UVA WLAX comes calling, then it will be harder to get her to leave.

If they cannot get that done then the only logical option is Spallina, if we want to remain a competitive program in the ACC. He has more than proven his worth in the lax world. Not only that, but he has a daughter in 8th grade who plays on varsity that is really good and could very well go #1 in her class just like her brother Joey. She belongs in Orange! There's not a doubt in my mind that Spallina would/could win many NC here in the future.

Some people on here are saying they want Rowan, Tumolo, and Regy-- and although I love and appreciate each of those candidates and all they have done for our program-- if we want to remain an elite program the top two I mentioned are the best bet for the future. lastly, Gait should be advocating for Treanor and Spallina/have some say in the matter. The team next year should be really talented and could very well win a Championship given we have the right coaches on the sidelines.
I would imagine Gait would advocate for her, they had a great relationship when she played here. I'm trying to get some inside intel on it but nobody is leaking any news yet

I would imagine Gait would advocate for her, they had a great relationship when she played here. I'm trying to get some inside intel on it but nobody is leaking any news yet
I understand that Gary is in fact in Kayla’s camp. I was told to let the process go on and see what happens. Kayla was the only alum being considered from what I heard. Gary understands the benefits of having an alum in the role. Will see what happens.

I understand that Gary is in fact in Kayla’s camp. I was told to let the process go on and see what happens. Kayla was the only alum being considered from what I heard. Gary understands the benefits of having an alum in the role. Will see what happens.
There's huge benefits for both Treanor and Spallina, and quite frankly im conflicted on which of the two I want more. Kayla would without a doubt bring in the top talent year after year, and would build a solid program that would compete with the best of the best. She would also win NC's given she had the right assistants beside her. Spallina on the other hand, would do the same but he could also do what he has done down on the island and make CNY a hotbed of lacrosse again. Both on the women's side and men's. LORD HAVE MERCY, IM STRESSED FOR THIS OUTCOME!!!

tenor.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom