Gbinije is officially our starting PG | Syracusefan.com

Gbinije is officially our starting PG

This all bodes very well for Orange. If in fact Silent will be manning point that means that either Richardson or Lydon is starter material from day one. I'm excited about watching the under the radar gang coalesce into a dangerous giant killer this coming season. I think the team has been underestimated. If we get production from Coleman... watch the ef out!

Joseph will get plenty of run at point. Would not be surprised if he's sixth man. Hearing it'll be Malachi at the three...but Lydon will get plenty of minutes all over the place.

Expect a lot of spreading the court and kick outs. Need to get something out of the five. I'm more concerned about Colemans productivity than health.

I can see Roberson, Trevor and Gbinje logging a lot of 40 minute games in conference play. Especially Roberson and Gbinje.

Joseph will get plenty of run at point. Would not be surprised if he's sixth man. Hearing it'll be Malachi at the three...but Lydon will get plenty of minutes all over the place.

Expect a lot of spreading the court and kick outs. Need to get something out of the five. I'm more concerned about Colemans productivity than health.

I can see Roberson, Trevor and Gbinje logging a lot of 40 minute games in conference play. Especially Roberson and Gbinje.
Jake, do you think Lydon will play much (if any) at the 5?

Jake, do you think Lydon will play much (if any) at the 5?

Not Jake, but I don't see how it is possible for anything more than gimmick [or desperation] minutes. Neither Lydon nor Roberson have the ideal physical strength to man the pivot in our system--that's the biggest thing. Ditotta's article described how Lydon is the player who gets knocked to the ground the most in practice on a daily basis.

Not Jake, but I don't see how it is possible for anything more than gimmick [or desperation] minutes. Neither Lydon nor Roberson have the ideal physical strength to man the pivot in our system--that's the biggest thing. Ditotta's article described how Lydon is the player who gets knocked to the ground the most in practice on a daily basis.
yeah I don't see it either unless both DC and Chino are unavailable... maybe JB tinkers w/ it early but no way once ACC starts

Yeah, the "knocked to the ground" comment stuck with me too.

Not saying we would do this a ton and call me crazy, but I think a lineup of G, Cooney, Malachi, Roberson, and Lydon has potential in the right situation. If you really wanted to get crazy you can play Joseph, Cooney, Mali, G and Lydon together as well.

If shooting and passing is our strength we need to take advantage. It could potentially be a matchup problem for teams we play in the ACC this year. Not many bigs are going to have the ability to guard on the perimeter in the ACC. Lydon is supposed to be a good rebounder, and that is Robersons strength. If they can hold their own we should play small as much as possible.

We would have to get by on defense by trapping and pressuring dribblers within the zone, but this strategy wouldn't be much different from the strategy the Golden State Warriors utilized last year when they won the NBA title. I know college isn't the NBA, but I think a lot of what I said above could work, especially if we have the ability to force turnovers. Sometimes your need to fit your system to your players, and not your players to a specific system. This year is one of those years.

Last edited:
yeah I don't see it either unless both DC and Chino are unavailable... maybe JB tinkers w/ it early but no way once ACC starts
I think this is almost certainly the case. You'll only see Lydon if there's an emergency.

Per Rothstein, via Boeheim

No one wins a national championship unless you have a senior point guard. They can do it! You just have to be blindly positive!

Said Kaleb is "shooting the blood out the ball " too...nice to hear and you can tell he underestimated the talent of this team based on his tweets

I missed the "blood" comment. Where did you see this?

Not saying we would do this a ton and call me crazy, but I think a lineup of G, Cooney, Malachi, Roberson, and Lydon has potential in the right situation. If you really wanted to get crazy you can play Joseph, Cooney, Mali, G and Lydon together as well.

If shooting and passing is our strength we need to take advantage. It could potentially be a matchup problem for teams we play in the ACC this year. Not many bigs are going to have the ability to guard on the perimeter in the ACC. Lydon is supposed to be a good rebounder, and that is Robersons strength. If they can hold their own we should play small as much as possible.

We would have to get by on defense by trapping and pressuring dribblers within the zone, but this strategy wouldn't be much different from the strategy the Golden State Warriors utilized last year when they won the NBA title. I know college isn't the NBA, but I think a lot of what I said above could work, especially if we have the ability to force turnovers. Sometimes your need to fit your system to your players, and not your players to a specific system. This year is one of those years.

Situationally, perhaps. But we aren't a team that excelled at scoring in half court offense last year, and that's what we're relegated to with Gbinije running the point and slowing things down. Forget the occasional fast breaks -- anybody can dish on the break, and it takes more than a handle to nail down lead guard responsibilities [see: Harris, Paul]. It's running the team's half court offensive sets that is more challenging, especially against quality defense / opposition. I love Gibinije. I love him the most as a wing scorer, not as the guy initiating the offense.

But I agree--in some situations, having an extra shooter or an extra rebounder out there, having a bigger frontcourt with Lydon [nominally] at the 3, etc. might be effective. I think this team's strength will be its versatility.

Last edited:
We need to push the tempo this year. It's our best chance for success. Play trapping D out of the zone and get up and down the court.

You've been completely wrong about Joseph's development all off-season -- looks like you're determined to bat 1.000 on this topic.
We had great practice reports last year too.
I haven't seen him play against a non-teammate this year.
You may have missed the part where it says he is not starting.
Oh, BTW, the HOF guy who has seen him play this off season, has said "go back to the bench!"
I think that makes me more correct than you.
I HOPE the kid proves me wrong, but I did not see a D1 PG last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom