Gbinije is officially our starting PG | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Gbinije is officially our starting PG

We had great practice reports last year too.
I haven't seen him play against a non-teammate this year.
You may have missed the part where it says he is not starting.
Oh, BTW, the HOF guy who has seen him play this off season, has said "go back to the bench!"
I think that makes me more correct than you.
I HOPE the kid proves me wrong, but I did not see a D1 PG last year.

No, actually it doesn't. You said he wasn't a D1 PG, and that he wouldn't develop. It appears that you are wrong. We'll see how much he plays and what role. All things being equal, it isn't looking good for your prediction regardless of who starts.

PS--what great practice reports last year?

G will be good at the point. Battle is the same type of player, and that's where he is going to play next year.

G will be good at the point. Battle is the same type of player, and that's where he is going to play next year.

Not you specically 0307, but I think people sometimes get too hung up on labeling positions. Battle could start alongside Joseph next year. Does that make Joseph or Battle the 1? Or does it even matter? I think it will be more like Duke last year, where they just play the best two GUARDS [without worrying about what you call them].

Is Richardson a 2 or a 3?
Is Lydon a 3 or a 4?
Is Howard a 1 or a 2?

Over the years, we've had a lot of versatile players capable of playing multiple positions. In some cases, it has even helped to mask a lack of depth on some teams. Guys like Battle, Richardson, Lydon, Moyer, and others fit that mold. Provided they have complimentary skill sets, these guys can play in numerous combinations and lineups.

Last edited:
No, actually it doesn't. You said he wasn't a D1 PG, and that he wouldn't develop. It appears that you are wrong. We'll see how much he plays and what role. All things being equal, it isn't looking good for your prediction regardless of who starts.

PS--what great practice reports last year?
Again, there is no evidence he will be better in games that count. Lots of guys can shoot in drills

I could also see Kaleb and TylerL playing a Scoop/Kris roll off the bench on that 09 team. Not necessarily bad if Kaleb comes off the bench.
Did he say Malachi is starting?

I have lydon starting for size early on. Especially with Gbinije uptop.
Kaleb as 6th man. Lydon and Malchi won't be able to. Intimidating size to start games.
I have Gbinije playing mostly forward first half mostly guard the 2nd.

While it would be easier to put Lydon at the 5 because Roberson has more minutes for less fouls, reports have said Robeson is closer to 226 over the summer Lydon 205. They also said Lydon is on the floor more then anyone on the team, I have Lydon with a longer stance for a charge. Roberson has the better dribble drive to play a 5. Keita only weighted 215(I believe) as a senior.

Last edited:
Not you specically 0307, but I think people also get too hung up on positions. Battle could start alongside Joseph next year. Does that make Joseph or Battle the 1? Or does it even matter? I think it will be more like Duke last year, where they just play the best two GUARDS [without worrying about what you call them].

Totally agree. I don't think traditional positions are important, one reason I like the offensive potential of Lydon at the five. I also think KJ has the potential to be great off the bench this year as a potential explosive scorer off the bench. People get to caught up in who starts. We've seen here over the years that can be overrated.

Not you specically 0307, but I think people sometimes get too hung up on labeling positions. Battle could start alongside Joseph next year. Does that make Joseph or Battle the 1? Or does it even matter? I think it will be more like Duke last year, where they just play the best two GUARDS [without worrying about what you call them].

Is Richardson a 2 or a 3?
Is Lydon a 3 or a 4?
Is Howard a 1 or a 2?

Over the years, we've had a lot of versatile players capable of playing multiple positions. In some cases, it has even helped to mask a lack of depth on some teams. Guys like Battle, Richardson, Lydon, Moyer, and others fit that mold. Provided they have complimentary skill sets, these guys can play in numerous combinations and lineups.

Correct. Defined positions are outdated. Syracuse (and the rest of basketball, both pro and college) are moving away from them. Ideally you want five players with size and skill on the floor. As athletes improve and basketball skill improves this is becoming possible.

I'm not one to worry about "starter" and "bench player." For the life of me I can't understand why it matters. All I'll say is this, Joseph is going to play major minutes this year (and by major I mean 20 or more).

Captain is painting himself into a corner . . . . especially when Soph's in general are so much better than they were as frosh.

Last edited:
Did he say Malachi is starting?

I have lydon starting for size early on. Especially with Gbinije uptop.
Kaleb as 6th man. Lydon and Malchi won't be able to. Intimidating size to start games.
I have Gbinije playing mostly forward first half mostly guard the 2nd.

While it would be easier to put Lydon at the 5 because Roberson has more minutes for less fouls, reports have said Robeson is closer to 226 over the summer Lydon 205. They also said Lydon is on the floor more then anyone on the team, I have Lydon with a longer stance for a charge. Roberson has the better dribble drive to play a 5.
I do believe JB said Malachi would play the 3 this year, not sure he said "start" but I think its pretty likely. Not many McD AA's have coem here and not start even when they didn't produce. "Size" is not really a consideration when picking your small forward. Since G is officially the starting PG I don't see many forward minutes at all in the first half.

Emergency minutes?

With no McCullough / Diagne on the roster, the only other legit 5 beyond Coleman is Obokoh. If we get in foul trouble or have to dip beyond Obokoh, then Roberson and Lydon are the only two guys over 6-8 available to play, so...

I do believe JB said Malachi would play the 3 this year, not sure he said "start" but I think its pretty likely. Not many McD AA's have coem here and not start even when they didn't produce. "Size" is not really a consideration when picking your small forward. Since G is officially the starting PG I don't see many forward minutes at all in the first half.

Agree, we like to start mcdonalds all americans.
Tried to hold back but I think size and given opponents like to shoot alot of threes at the start is the reason I had Lydon starting instead. I also feel Malachi is better for a 7-8 minute stretch then a 4-5 as we will push him as a isolation shooter a couple of shots a game some not just a rollout. I see Lydon more as a rollout shooter who can get his shots throughout the game rather then 2-3 in a three and a half minute stretch like Malachi. On the other hand Lydon will play a scrappy rebounder off the bench as well. Just predictions though.

I also had G playing most his minutes Sf in the first half because hes 6'7 and we want to turn up the defense more in the second half.
We pressure defend alittle more in the 2nd half. One of the beautiful things about pressure defending is you don't have to do it when your up as much. Wait to the opponents go on alittle run or in a tight game to get a run going.

Hopefully with our rollout shooters Kaleb, Cooney or Roberson, will be able to create a couple of half court transition assists.

I have Kaleb getting about 27 minutes a game and Cooney 34, that leaves 19 minutes with another guard on the floor. And I have to think Gbinije plays around 12 minutes at guard uptop the second half as hes our only returning proven pressure guard defender with the loss of Patterson.

Last edited:
Agree,
Just for conversation though, Keita weighted in at 215 as a senior. Roberson was up to 226 in the offseason. Keita was also 6'10 though and had a really wide stance while he could be backed down, it made it hard for him to be sealed off.

Agree,
Just for conversation though, Keita weighted in at 215 as a senior. Roberson was up to 226 in the offseason. Keita was also 6'10 though and had a really wide stance while he could be backed down, it made it hard for him to be sealed off.

There is no way in hell that Roberson weighs 226. And Keita had a different type of body type / length to play the 5, as well as strong instincts for the defensive responsibilities required to play the pivot in our system.

Joseph will get plenty of run at point. Would not be surprised if he's sixth man. Hearing it'll be Malachi at the three...but Lydon will get plenty of minutes all over the place.

Expect a lot of spreading the court and kick outs. Need to get something out of the five. I'm more concerned about Colemans productivity than health.

I can see Roberson, Trevor and Gbinje logging a lot of 40 minute games in conference play. Especially Roberson and Gbinje.

When you say MR at the '3' do you mean down low in the 2-3 zone? I watched him play several times in HS and he struggled quite a bit in defending and rebounding against guys much smaller and much less skilled than what he will see in the college ranks. I'd be stunned if he was the starter manning that position this season and would say that if it does happen that it is not a good sign.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom