Gbinije is officially our starting PG | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Gbinije is officially our starting PG

yeah I don't see it either unless both DC and Chino are unavailable... maybe JB tinkers w/ it early but no way once ACC starts
I think Roberson will be the third option at the 5, if not the second at times.

When you say MR at the '3' do you mean down low in the 2-3 zone? I watched him play several times in HS and he struggled quite a bit in defending and rebounding against guys much smaller and much less skilled than what he will see in the college ranks. I'd be stunned if he was the starter manning that position this season and would say that if it does happen that it is not a good sign.

MR could "play" the three on offense with Gbinije at the point, since the 2 and 3 are virtually interchangeable in our offensive sets, and play up top defensively in the zone with G on the back line. :noidea:

MR could "play" the three on offense with Gbinije at the point, since the 2 and 3 are virtually interchangeable in our offensive sets, and play up top defensively in the zone with G on the back line. :noidea:
We could always put Gbinije at guard on Malachi's side to help rebound the ball. If anything Malachi could just tip a few of the hard ones to Gbinije.

Last edited:
I think most of us have been watching this team long enough where we realize that our starting lineups matter about as far as the first under 16 timeout. In my mind, what’ll probably happen is Malachi will get the token start at the 3, G at the 1. At the first whistle, Kaleb will come in, G will slide from the point to the 3, and we’ll play that way for most of the game(assuming Kaleb’s improved on both ends from last year). When Kaleb needs a rest, Lydon/Malachi come in, G back to the point, G for Cooney(Mali/Lydon to the 3), etc.

We’ll know for sure when the lights come on, but if Kaleb’s shooting the ball that well and can actually challenge shooters on defense, he’s going to play quite a bit.

I think Gbinije's defense uptop will be so key that he will get minutes uptop not just to spell joseph but for defense also. The first 4 minutes won't count as those are settle in minutes. I also think Kaleb and Cooney could be in a dogfight for who is the better pressure defender uptop to join Gbinije in the second half in tough fought games. With this team Defense matters.

Same goes with Coleman and Obokoh. I think there is a good chance Roberson and Lydon will see more weakside blocks then we have the last couple of years as Keita and Rak were better at preventing quick moves towards the basket and blocking shots.

Contrary to my mpg post :bang: I see Lydon and Malachi adding up to 28 minutes at forward together minimum.
I think our best all around lineup will be Gbinije, Kaleb or Cooney, Lydon, Roberson, Dajuan.

Last edited:
Totally agree. I don't think traditional positions are important, one reason I like the offensive potential of Lydon at the five. I also think KJ has the potential to be great off the bench this year as a potential explosive scorer off the bench. People get to caught up in who starts. We've seen here over the years that can be overrated.
Have to admit, unless we're playing sisters of the poor, Lydon (who's spent half his time in practice laying on the hardwood) logging significant time at the 5 seems about as likely as Trump showing up to a debate bald. But I like your enthusiam ... and if we can play NBA-style small ball and win ... hell I'd be the first one to toast you.

Last edited:
Agree.

Have to admit, unless we're playing sisters of the poor, Lydon at the 5 seems about as likely as Trump showing up to a debate bald. But I like your enthusiam ... and if we can play NBA-style small ball and win ... hell I'd be the first one to toast you.

I can't guarantee it would necessarily work, but it does intrigue me as an analytics guy. I like the idea that we are going to shoot more threes this year. Even if we shoot 35 percent, it's better than 47% from two. Lydon and Richardson are really going to add a lot of skill to the team.

For those in the thread claiming "size doesn't matter" in regard to the front line ... um, have you taken a look at the front lines of the teams were playing recently? I realize this season will probably require some experimentation at the 5 (we're already undersized at the 4), but our lineup isn't all about scoring. It has to be able to rebound and defend the rim also.

I think Gbinije's defense uptop will be so key that he will get minutes uptop not just to spell joseph but for defense also. The first 4 minutes won't count as those are settle in minutes. I also think Kaleb and Cooney could be in a dogfight for who is the better pressure defender uptop to join Gbinije in the second half in tough fought games. With this team Defense matters.

Same goes with Coleman and Obokoh. I think there is a good chance Roberson and Lydon will see more weakside blocks then we have the last couple of years as Keita and Rak were better at preventing quick moves towards the basket and blocking shots.

Contrary to my mpg post :bang: I see Lydon and Malachi adding up to 28 minutes at forward together minimum.
I think our best all around lineup will be Gbinije, Kaleb or Cooney, Lydon, Roberson, Dajuan.

From what I saw last year, Cooney is clearly a better defender than Joseph. Longer and more experienced and more active. That said I could see G, Cooney and Joseph soaking up about 80-85% of the minutes allotted for the top of the zone.

I can't guarantee it would necessarily work, but it does intrigue me as an analytics guy. I like the idea that we are going to shoot more threes this year. Even if we shoot 35 percent, it's better than 47% from two. Lydon and Richardson are really going to add a lot of skill to the team.

...and much needed shot making ability.

If Coleman can produce some modicum of production in the middle, and Joseph / Roberson improve offensively, that's a nice nucleus to put around established scorers like G and T. I could easily see this team exceeding expectations this year and being a really tough out in the NCAA tournament.

For those in the thread claiming "size doesn't matter" in regard to the front line ... um, have you taken a look at the front lines of the teams were playing recently? I realize this season will probably require some experimentation at the 5 (we're already undersized at the 4), but our lineup isn't all about scoring. It has to be able to rebound and defend the rim also.

Agree. It'll hurt you rebounding, but if you force enough turnovers it just might work. Again it's the NBA slightly different game, but Golden State played Draymond Green and Harrison Barnes at the 4 and 5 so well at times last year that teams ended up taking out their bigs because they couldn't run up and down the court against the smaller lineup (T. Mozgov, D Howard...etc)

Agree. It'll hurt you rebounding, but if you force enough turnovers it just might work. Again it's the NBA slightly different game, but Golden State played Draymond Green and Harrison Barnes at the 4 and 5 so well at times last year that teams ended up taking out their bigs because they couldn't run up and down the court against the smaller lineup (T. Mozgov, D Howard...etc)
It's an interesting discussion. Tigers don't change their stripes, and we know that JB sticks to his principles. But he's also a huge NBA fan, and a student of the game. It'll be interesting to see if he experiments with this, and if he does, how well it works.

Waters mentioned Gbinije averaged 17 ppg the last 10 games last year and Roberson 12 the last 7. :)

Roberson is a tough read you just can't catch how he gets his points. He comes across as a garbage man/transition scorer He just doesn't get alot of buckets off 3-4 dribbles. And even his one-two dribbles rarely end up with a extra step or two going into his layup and lots of delays.Would love to see him get more buckets off 3-4 dribbles as opposed to 1-2 bouncers by mid acc season. I get the feeling it could work in reverse with him instead of using his elbow jay to create 3-4 dribbles he could find himself more confidence using 3-4 dribbles to find a more fluid motion on his jay. If he started knocking down 1 three a game this year it would be a plus. He even starts his outside shots shoulder level which gives him a time advantage that lydon, cooney who bring the ball down to waist level first don't get(even more so with a higher pass). I remember how MCW had trouble with the stationary shorter threes, but did well with the longer ones off the dribble. There was just something about more strength,fluidity, or a small step/jabstep being put in his release.

Last edited:

You can't ignore the fact that Draymond Green has the very unusual skill of being 6'7 (or whatever he is) and being able to guard seven footers reasonably well. There are not too many people in the world with that skill. Who on Syracuse has this skill?

Obviously, we need to see it in games--but let's just take at face value that the guys that have been reported as showing improved offensive skill can really put the ball in the basket this year. That group includes Coleman, Joseph, and Roberson.

Pair them with our two senior double digit scorers, and Richardson / Lydon as complimentary shooters, and we could field a LOT of offensively potent lineups. 7 guys in our 8 player rotation [excluding Obokoh, obviously] could be guys who can fill it up.

Now, outside shooting can come and go from game to game, but I think points might be a little easier to come by this year.

Does SU have to give its NC back?

I was thinking of how U-Conn has managed so many NCs. But you are right. But someone like G-Mac doesn't come along very often!! G-Mac is just ridiculously good even 11 year later. He was just amazing that year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom