Gene Fisch | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Gene Fisch

I love this thread ... it's jogging the memory cobwebs that are driving me crazy!! Hey, Tipp Hill do you remember when Coleman's was just a hole in the wall ... 2 rooms with a pass through between them ... the bar area had a pool table (never balanced) ... and the other room had the tables for "dates". Pete was always there and was so much younger than than now ...
sure do, the cuisine of choice was stewarts sandwiches in the toaster oven

I remember my West End friends taking me there in junior year. After hearing about the place for two years it wasn't what I was expecting. I was under age but my friends said don't worry Pete serves anyone. It was wide open and the lighting was very bright. The floor was a mess, so this is Coleman's, needless to say I wasn't very impressed but the neighborhood kids loved it.
totally correct, it was the neighborhood bar,along with several others the older guys went to nibsy's,little shamrock or blarney stone

Great memory Cherie!! I remember Buzzard and especially Matt Cleary.
and OE ... yup that was one reason everyone went to Coleman's ... It was a 2 room set-up though ... where there was a backroom with a pass through from the bar in the other room. I mean there was a doorway you walked through into the "greater" bar area where there was a pool table. It was a far cry from what Coleman's became ... but everybody loved it!!

And OE ... there you go you used the term West End and as I was thinking about it (per Tipp) there was the West side and the West End. Didn't the West End border Avery to (about) Erie Blvd down to Milton Ave. .. then you hit Solvay ... that's where they ate all the cats (I love telling my child and grandchildren that story)

totally correct, it was the neighborhood bar,along with several others the older guys went to nibsy's,little shamrock or blarney stone
Yup at that time the Blarney, Nibsy's,and the Little Shamrock were neighborhood bars ... that is until St. Pat's Day ... As I recall the Blarney and Nibsy's didn't actually "blossom" until Pete began his expansion program at Coleman's ... just think that we were the basiis for his becoming a major landowner on Tipp Hill as well as funding his expansion.

Great memory Cherie!! I remember Buzzard and especially Matt Cleary.
and OE ... yup that was one reason everyone went to Coleman's ... It was a 2 room set-up though ... where there was a backroom with a pass through from the bar in the other room. I mean there was a doorway you walked through into the "greater" bar area where there was a pool table. It was a far cry from what Coleman's became ... but everybody loved it!!

And OE ... there you go you used the term West End and as I was thinking about it (per Tipp) there was the West side and the West End. Didn't the West End border Avery to (about) Erie Blvd down to Milton Ave. .. then you hit Solvay ... that's where they ate all the cats (I love telling my child and grandchildren that story)
Our first cat, Cinders survived five years in the city, we were in a bordering town to Solvay for about five days when she disappeared, never to be seen again. It was right around Thanksgiving.

:rolling:

Can you imagine what the younger posters are thinking about this thread ... my wife read it and just shakes her head ...

BTW I remember Bob Felasco ... he was a really big deal in coaching at the time

"Double Trouble" that's what the sports page read one Saturday morning during the high school basketball season. Bob Eden, who played briefly on the SU freshman team, Billy McIntyre, who worked at the State Fair under Tom Young, were St Anthoy's shinning stars.
It was toward the end of the glorious Parochial League days, anyone remember them?

Bob and I played a lot of tennis together. He had great court coverage and his footwork was something to see. The two sports really compliment each other. I saw the his potential before he did. One day, at a cost to me because I would be losing a great practice partner, I told him to call Skip King who was the best playing pro in the area. He did and the rest is history. Bob soon became the best pro in the area and later became the tennis coach at LeMoyne College.

Can you imagine what the younger posters are thinking about this thread ... my wife read it and just shakes her head ...

the younger posters probably gave up on this thread long ago, we're probably the only ones reading it now(ha ha)

he was absolutely awesome

I remember that well. The bartender was Buzzard Moriarty who had a deformed arm and made All parochial in basketball and baseball for St Pat's years ago. He was a jailer for the sheriffs dept. His grandsons Pat and Kevin Barrett played for Ludden in the early, middle 2000's. A regular neighborhood character at Colemans was Matt Cleary, a deaf guy who almost lived at the bar.
Peter had a heart attack at 39 and gave up drinking totally. His mom used to live in the upstairs aparment which is now a banquet type room.

All I have to say is "don't walk in front of Crazy Mary's house"...

Tremendous thread, wow. My dad and his entire familiy grew up down the street from St. Pats and went to school there for the most part in some fashion or another, the younger siblings would up at Ludden. my grandmother still lived in that house until the day she died.. I have heard a lot of these war stories over the years... a lot of them sitting at Nibsy's after an SU game with some of these old timers that knew either my dad or one of his brothers. Good stuff

a lot of them sitting at Nibsy's after an SU game with some of these old timers that knew either my dad or one of his brothers. Good stuff

There ya go ... we're being called "old timers" ...Ilike to think of us as wizened and mellow ...like a very good wine.

"Double Trouble" that's what the sports page read one Saturday morning during the high school basketball season. Bob Eden, who played briefly on the SU freshman team, Billy McIntyre, who worked at the State Fair under Tom Young, were St Anthoy's shinning stars.
It was toward the end of the glorious Parochial League days, anyone remember them?

I grew up near St. Anthony's ... big rivalry between my school and Anthony's. I seem to remember Billy McIntyre ... did he have a brother BTW? I seem to remember a Bobby McIntyre as well. The memory closet is a bit dusty tho.

I'm not young (56) but some of you must be about 10 years older. I remember some of the names/places, but I'm from the era of the Poorhouse West and North, $1 pitchers, the Scene then Uncle Sams, etc.

I'm not young (56) but some of you must be about 10 years older. I remember some of the names/places, but I'm from the era of the Poorhouse West and North, $1 pitchers, the Scene then Uncle Sams, etc.
i'm 62, the scene "wow" strobe lights,glow in the dark teeth, flashing dance floor, i get dizzy thinking about that place.

Hey OE ... and not to just keep the thread going altho we seem to really love it ... but do you remember a pair of basketball players from Central ... Billy Noel and Ed Bullard? Billy received "outstanding basketball player" in an undefeated season at Central. Both were good friends of mine.

Yes, I remember both the Poor House West and the Poor House North ... I'm 64 (and getting older). It was a really biig deal when the Poor House West opened ... there was another place we used to frequent up in the Nottingham Plaza as well. ... forgot ts name ... that's where I met my first wife ... Wait iit just came back.. Does the Big O ring anyone's memory chimes?

Hey OE ... and not to just keep the thread going altho we seem to really love it ... but do you remember a pair of basketball players from Central ... Billy Noel and Ed Bullard? Billy received "outstanding basketball player" in an undefeated season at Central. Both were good friends of mine.

Yes, I remember both the Poor House West and the Poor House North ... I'm 64 (and getting older). It was a really biig deal when the Poor House West opened ... there was another place we used to frequent up in the Nottingham Plaza as well. ... forgot ts name ... that's where I met my first wife ... Wait iit just came back.. Does the Big O ring anyone's memory chimes?

Yep, Big O too.

BTW, weren't the Neals from Central also?

Yep, Big O too.

BTW, weren't the Neals from Central also?
If they were they were either before my time (making them very old) or after my time. Now OE can step in as well and give us info ... He apparently is older than all of us.

If they were they were either before my time (making them very old) or after my time. Now OE can step in as well and give us info ... He apparently is older than all of us.

Prolly after. I think one of them went to New Mexico or New Mexico St.

Prolly after. I think one of them went to New Mexico or New Mexico St.
There had to be a CNY connection for New Mexico St - Jimmy Collins, the Neal fellow you mention and an MHR kid from the early 70's Jim Michaels went there for a while too. Wonder what or who it was?

There had to be a CNY connection for New Mexico St - Jimmy Collins, the Neal fellow you mention and an MHR kid from the early 70's Jim Michaels went there for a while too. Wonder what or who it was?
i am not sure but didn't a ludden guy from the west end go there?tom mc carthy around 1968?went to grammar school at st.pats,h.s. at ludden.

The Big O - lol. Yes definitely - anyone remember the guy with white hair who wore a white suit who must have been the manager or something there? He always greeted me as I entered.

Anyone remember Freddie Pratts? Of course, Poorhouse West where your feet always stuck to the floor as you walked in. The Barge Inn, the Scene, the Office? Misspent youth ;)

i am not sure but didn't a ludden guy from the west end go there?tom mc carthy around 1968?went to grammar school at st.pats,h.s. at ludden.
Knew him but didn't know he went there. There had to be some CNY connection to get those kids.

The Big O - lol. Yes definitely - anyone remember the guy with white hair who wore a white suit who must have been the manager or something there? He always greeted me as I entered.

Anyone remember Freddie Pratts? Of course, Poorhouse West where your feet always stuck to the floor as you walked in. The Barge Inn, the Scene, the Office? Misspent youth ;)[/quote]
sounds like may of us may have met each other at one time or another, as we apparently all had misspent youth!!! oh well,all's well that ends well.

By the way Tom McCarthy last I saw him about 10 years ago, lived in Dallas and had a great job working for Roger Staubach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom