Class of 2016 - General Question | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 General Question

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
Have we ever taken a commitment from a kid when there wasn't clearly a scholarship available? I'm thinking of the situation with Battle - Moyer and the 2016 - 17 incoming class.

Might be something else coming. I am not starting a rumor, it just can't be ruled out. I wouldn't think we have done this without full certainty and I don't believe it would end up that way with the class of 2016.

I agree with this. I guess I have an educated guess on what it will be. We need G back so please let it not be G going to play for play in Europe or elsewhere. It could be a case of someone leaving but not finding a home yet?:noidea:

We'd actually need two players to be gone to GUARANTEE Battle a spot, since Moyer has verbally committed, right? I think everyone knows that Chris has just one more year but that's not guaranteed.

I agree with this. I guess I have an educated guess on what it will be. We need G back so please let it not be G going to play for play in Europe or elsewhere. It could be a case of someone leaving but not finding a home yet?:noidea:

We'd actually need two players to be gone to GUARANTEE Battle a spot, since Moyer has verbally committed, right? I think everyone knows that Chris has just one more year but that's not guaranteed.
If two more players leave how many does that leave us with?

That is what I said on my First post. The best case is that TC and MG are two of the five so they leave openings for Moyer and Battle.

the villager said:
That is what I said on my First post. The best case is that TC and MG are two of the five so they leave openings for Moyer and Battle.

Those two are 2 years from now. How about we put our best team together for next year? We're gonna be pretty darn good. And that includes G and TC.

Huh? No sane person would want that.

Huh? No sane person would want that.
I think you misunderstood. The five remaining players for this coming year would include TC and MG for several reasons not only being the best remaining players for next year but would assure two openings for the following year. Sorry I may have confused the issue.

Might be something else coming. I am not starting a rumor, it just can't be ruled out. I wouldn't think we have done this without full certainty and I don't believe it would end up that way with the class of 2016.

I hope not. If someone else were to leave that would get us down to 10 scholarship players for next year and I think require us to begin the sanctions next season. I think that is a scenario where we could not offer Thomas Bryant.

the villager said:
I think you misunderstood. The five remaining players for this coming year would include TC and MG for several reasons not only being the best remaining players for next year but would assure two openings for the following year. Sorry I may have confused the issue.

Ahh. For some reason I read it as 2 of 5 to leave this year. Now I got it.

Ironically, if the NCAA gave us back one scholarship per year on appeal, and Bryant hadn't committed at the time that occurred, we'd have to start the penalty next season because we are down to eleven scholarships.

Ironically, if the NCAA gave us back one scholarship per year on appeal, and Bryant hadn't committed at the time that occurred, we'd have to start the penalty next season because we are down to eleven scholarships.
Thomas Bryant...Come On Down!!
carried23n-4-web.jpg

We know that BJ and Buss are leaving and Rakeem is graduating:

Slated to return:
1. MikeG(SR)
2. TrevorC(SR)
3. DajuanC(JR)
4. TylerR(JR)
5. ChinonsoO(JR)
6. ChrisM(SO)
7. KalebJ(SO)
Slated to arrive:
8. FranklinH(FR)
9. MalachiR(FR)
10. TylerL(FR)
11. MoustaphaD(FR)
Still Recruiting for next year:
12. ThomasB(FR)
Committed for 2016:
Moyer
Offered and still recruiting for 2016:
Battle

I don't think its a sure thing that next years roster is set. Very possible we add Bryant and very possible we see someone else move on especially if we don't land Bryant. I think what is more probable is that we land Bryant and roll with 12 while the appeals go through. Hopefully we get at least 1 ship per year back at that point. I would also expect that after next season we may again see some guys transfer out, which is simply going to happen until we get all our ships back. Guys aren't going to get the PT they want or they are going to look at who's being brought in and realize that their roll may be drastically reduced.

I think whatever happens G and Cooney are coming back because they are very experienced parts of the team and they for sure come off the books after next season. Looking at the roster there are other more likely underclassmen who might leave this year. If we get Bryant for instance depth at the 5 isn't as much of an issue especially since Chris can play spot minutes there if needed. If perhaps the PG spot is up for grabs someone may not want to be in that situation. I do think its more likely that we push off the ship penalties untill the following season because these same situations will be in play, DC2 may move on because of health/graduation/goodplay and one of Chris or Mal may move on because of good play. Of course we may also see some ship relief making it unnecessary to even clear one spot to bring in Moyer and Battle.

Edit: I think these guys are locks to be back right now.
Mike, Trevor, Chris, Tyler, Dajuan

We know that BJ and Buss are leaving and Rakeem is graduating:

Slated to return:
1. MikeG(SR)
2. TrevorC(SR)
3. DajuanC(JR)
4. TylerR(JR)
5. ChinonsoO(JR)
6. ChrisM(SO)
7. KalebJ(SO)
Slated to arrive:
8. FranklinH(FR)
9. MalachiR(FR)
10. TylerL(FR)
11. MoustaphaD(FR)
Still Recruiting for next year:
12. ThomasB(FR)
Committed for 2016:
Moyer
Offered and still recruiting for 2016:
Battle

I don't think its a sure thing that next years roster is set. Very possible we add Bryant and very possible we see someone else move on especially if we don't land Bryant. I think what is more probable is that we land Bryant and roll with 12 while the appeals go through. Hopefully we get at least 1 ship per year back at that point. I would also expect that after next season we may again see some guys transfer out, which is simply going to happen until we get all our ships back. Guys aren't going to get the PT they want or they are going to look at who's being brought in and realize that their roll may be drastically reduced.
The SU site as DC as Jr currently. I don't know what his status will be.

He is a junior academically and athletically until he applies for a redshirt for this season, but I don't think there is any impediment to his being granted a redshirt for this season.
But, if he earns his degree, he might be asked to move on, or if he has a Rak year, he might go himself.

Haven't heard anything about Obokoh and his redshirt issue stemming from his freshman year. When, in their infinite wisdom, it was rescinded by the NCAA there was speculation that SU would appeal. At the time I thought that was a good move both for him as well as the team. Now, with the scholarship issue, might be better to have him play out his next two years and then open up a roster spot fort a more impactful player.

But, if he earns his degree, he might be asked to move on, or if he has a Rak year, he might go himself.

As I mentioned above. Many reasons Coleman may move on after next year:
-A)Gets his degree and moves on.
-B)His knee doesn't hold up.
-C)His knee holds up but Bryant and or Diange establish themselves in front of him.
-D)His knee holds up and he has a good season. (gets to the money making portion of his career ASAP)
-F)No ship extended by SU for a 5th year

Just an observation, but I'd be 99% certain that G, Cooney,Coleman, and Joseph aren't going anywhere this year. The four of them along with the coaches were all volunteering at a homeless shelter last week, the day before Boeheim had his press conference.

Patterson and Johnson were not there!

Just an observation, but I'd be 99% certain that G, Cooney,Coleman, and Joseph aren't going anywhere this year. The four of them along with the coaches were all volunteering at a homeless shelter last week, the day before Boeheim had his press conference.

Patterson and Johnson were not there!
Was Roberson there? If not, should we expect he's leaving?

Not sure how much we can read into that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom