General thoughts on Bingo and look ahead to Army | Syracusefan.com

General thoughts on Bingo and look ahead to Army

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
All in all things have gone according to script (for the most part at least) two weeks into the 2020 season. Hard to take a lot away from the Binghamton game as they were so over matched, but it was good to see SU dominate where it should (Defensively at X, indiv matchups etc) and the D appear to look more cohesive although again you have to take the opponent into context. I thought the Bingo goalie played very well but its still never a great sign when a goalie stands on his head especially going into a game where the Army goalies save % is a ludicrous 84%. That said it was clear SU had little to worry about from a scoreboard perspective so guys were letting it fly early and often. Hated to see Berkman go down late with what is probably an ACL but the rest of the squad coming out healthy was a good sign.

Again hard to have to many takeaways from this type of game, but it was nice to see Cook have 5 pts and really continue to play within himself. Every member of the 2nd line had at least 1 point and that continues to be a very dangerous line despite Buttermore being off to a semi-slow start at least to his standards. I thought Fernandez really rebounded well after a slow start vs Gate, he had 6 Gb's and really looked like himself. I could be wrong but it looked like Helmer didn't see as much time and Landon Clary saw some backup minutes. Always good to build some depth and I know the staff was pretty high on both frosh lsms. I think Helmer is going to really have to play a key role here over the next few games. Nothing overt stuck out to me on the close defenders besides Kennedy absolutely dominating again so curious if anyone has anymore detailed thoughts there. Dearth and Aviles are a really nice 1-2 punch at SSDM, Aviles has really come on as a true frosh and has been impressive. A very under the radar recruit who should have gotten more pub. Always good to see the younger guys and those a bit buried on the depth chart get some run. Kim scored a real nice goal and Garlow looked like Danny Brennan re-incarnated out there. A nice easy going win that will unfortunately probably be the last one we see for the rest of the year with this schedule. Not to beat a dead horse yet again but a St. Bonaventure or other lower NY team later in the season would have been a real nice break for the team and get another W on the record but were staying with the 12 game schedule apparently, sorry rant over.

Sundays Army game is going to be a very interesting barometer to where this team is at as they have pretty much annihilated their first 3 opponents including two top 20 teams in Rutty and Umass. I think were all pretty familiar with Army so I am not going to get crazy in depth but their current play is definitely a bit of surprise. With losing so much to graduation I expected at least a slight step back for the team specifically on defense. Instead they have looked better then last years team (so far) and have given up an average of 3 goals a game with their goalie Schupler at an absolutely ridiculous .838 save %. I watched a quarter and a half of their game vs Rutty and some highlights form the other two. By the way the full RU game is on youtube, if you have some type give it a watch. What's most evident to me so far is how much they are getting out of their midfield. Normally Army is usually strong in one spot on offense but weak at the other. This year they appear to have good balance and have some nice pieces on their second mid line which is rare for the academy teams as quality depth is usually a major concern. Their 3rd and 4th leading scorers are 2nd line middies (pending results of tomorrow's Marist game). Can't recall the last time Army really had a serviceable 2nd mid line so that is huge for Alberici. They also have a new FOGO in Frosh Stevie Grabher who is at 67% at the X albeit against very weak competition besides the Umass game where Army finished just under 50% for the game.

So what does this mean for SU? Well the first thing is the Defense is really going to be tested. Army looked very comfortable initiating from the midfield against Rutty with a lot of success. Nichtern only finished with 3 assists versus Rutty but obviously he didn't need to do much when they were up big most of the game. The other two starting attackmen are two big Sr attackmen that SU is very familiar with in Sean O'Brien and Miles Silva. SU matched up with those two pretty well last year as they had 1 pt between them. O'Brien is a crease guy and dangerous as Nichtern and the middies are drawing so much attention he's getting a lot of doorstep looks and has 3 goals in every game so far. Should Mellen be back (god willing) I think Kennedy may take O'Brien if not this will probably fall to Dipetro. Army's starting midfield is a two Sr. group that again SU should be very familiar with; Matt Manown, and Connor Dewitt along with Sophmore Gunner Phillipp. I think Phillipp was hurt last year but from what I saw he was very active and not afraid to shoot. Manown whose brother plays at Duke has given us issues in the past. He was 2-1 last year against us and I think he will draw Fernandez/Helmer. Army's second line middies have been impressive as I noted above with Morin and Abshire having 12 goals between them. SU will need to be careful not let their guard down when they are in as they didn't hesitate to shoot and put some nice shots on cage. Dearth will really need to be on his game along with Aviles and Dami if he plays. Porter will face his first real test as well and we will need him to be up to the task big time. Obviously Mellen playing would be a big boost, I don't expect him to but hopefully good news is forthcoming.

Army's wins have been impressive so far but you wonder a bit about the competition as Umass lost a lot to graduation and NJIT is well NJIT. Still the Rutty win and holding that offense to only 4 goals was eye opening. Army's D has been dominant so far which appears to have been through a combo of good faceoff number, immaculate goalie play, and just good solid Army defense. That said an .800+ save % is clearly not sustainable and SU will be by far the best offense Army has seen this year, Rutty's attack unit not withstanding. Sr Tom Rigney appears to be Army's #1 cover guy. I suspect he will take Scanlan or Rehfuss (most likely Scanlan). Marcus Hudgins is the #2 guy, a very athletic former LSM's who had a big game against Umass. Beyer is the starter at LSM and they have a Sr with a lot of experience as their main SSDM. I am interested to see how Army attacks the SU offense. I feel its likely they will put Rigney on Scanlan and probably Hudgins on Rehfuss. Cook will draw the weakest close defender and needs to initiate the offense when he can. At the risk of Army doing it again this Sunday I have to think that as good as they have looked so far they are due to come back down a bit on defense. Rigby and the other guy are quality defenders but Surdick and Schultz the top two cover guys from last year were outstanding and I find it hard to believe there wont be some drop off. I would note that his past weekend Rutgers got some pretty good looks in the first half but either missed the cage or the Army goalie just made some great saves

This is a game where the SU midfield really needs to earn its publicity and praise. Army has a very good defense once again but I highly doubt their going to double poll the midfield and they don't normally play zone. Trimboli will almost certainly see a short stick and the either Curry or Dordevic will also get one. I suspect SU will try and attack through the midfield a lot and the 2nd line should see a lot of time as well. Good shot placement will be key, we will need to change angles and not telegraph shots. We need to finish in close better as well, the Bingo goalie had 2 or 3 doorstep saves that we needed to finish.

A few keys I will be looking at on Sunday
- What does the faceoff situation look like? SU dominated at the X last year and Army brings in a whole new crew this year. Their FOGO is a frosh and pretty much the main guy. Phaup *should have a slight advantage here but we will need our wings to be on point as Army destroyed RU and Umass on GB's and SU needs an effective counter there.

Penalties - We didn't have any against Bingo which was nice as the man down unit was abysmal against Colgate. We need to limit penalties and the man down unit has to be a lot better.

Man up Unit - Took an O fer against Colgate and really hasn't looked good at all through 2 games. I assume the staff wont make any changes (at least not yet) but would love to see Buttermore get a shot on the man up. Lindsay Kramer if your reading this please ask Desko in the next PC

Goalie play - Porter pretty much matched Baretto last year and he was a monster for a good stretch of the season. That said the D and Porter's play suffered late in the year versus UNC and Loyola and the unit overall was only so/so against Gate. Need the entire unit to play better but we will likely need Porter to steal a few on Sunday like Army's goalie has.

Lastly Turnovers - We haven't been terrible with 10 versus Gate and 13 versus Bingo but we haven't been good either. 13 versus Bingo is way way to much. Army's opponents are giving up over 20 times a game so far but Army is also turning it over themselves 17 times a game. SU needs to be at 10 or less this game. Turnovers and GB's are always critical against Army.

Last edited:
During the game one of the commentators said they were told that “x rays came back negative for Mellen” which is a good sign. Also would say odds are he still doesn’t play. Thank goodness we have Kennedy for Nichtern.

Couple of thoughts regarding the Binghamton game. The defense looked much improved from the Colgate game - I gave Fernandez a hard time last week but thought he looked phenomenal against the Bearcats. Didn't notice him in a lot of 1v1 situations but on the wing he was great and he was tenacious on the ride. Really encouraging performance.

Speaking of riding, don't know if I've seen an SU attackman ride as tenaciously as Griffin Cook. The guy just does not give up. He had two caused turnovers and a I thought energized the entire unit. My only issue with the ride, might be the fact that multiple times, I think because of the ride, the defense ended up with an offensive player on the d-end. I think Quinn had three defensive shifts in the first quarter alone. They seemed to do a better job of subbing personnel off as the game wore on, but it seems like when the defense does give up goals, an offensive midfielder is playing defense. Binghamton wasn't good enough to take advantage but better teams certainly will. Even Colgate did.

Offense looked good even though the zone seemed to throw them off. One thing I am struck by, during the spring scrimmages a beat writer (not sure which one) pointed out that Curry didn't look as involved with the offense as he did last year. He stated that for most of the time the ball flowed through Dordevic. I have to say that I have noticed the same thing - whenever the first line is in, it seems like the ball is Dordevic's stick to initiate a majority of the time.

Despite his subpar stats this this has actually started a lot of good offensive looks, but I am surprised at how little Curry dodges or initiates offense. He has produced with five goals, it just strikes me as odd, most of the goals he's a step down shooter. Both guys are really talented dodgers, in different ways, but Curry was so good at sweeping across the field and finding an opening in the middle of a defense. I haven't seen him do that this year.

I don't think they would do it, but it almost seems like a good idea would be to split Dordevic and Curry up if both are going to be "playmakers". The second line is stacked, but I think of Quinn and Buttermore as very similar players with their outside shooting ability. Putting Buttermore on the first line and Dordevic on the second I feel like would balance things out a bit. Again, I don't imagine they'll ever do this. And maybe they are just waiting to "unleash" Curry against a better opponent, but I really hope they don't lose his unique skills.

the games with Army recently have been close but SU has dominated the series since the 80’s. 10-2 since 2007.

Expect another close game but expect a win

THX. Really good posts to read, Ill try not to repeat thoughts. Putting aside game , D still a work in progress but so is O to a degree. Helped O to face a decent Bingy zone and top goalie. Dordevic adjusting to different scheme, has made some good reads and passes. Powell thought on splitting dodgers intriguing but cant see that happening. Buttermore needs more touches whether it be in rotation or man up . Seebold is deserving of more minutes but how is question. Ride is great but wonder if it has causes any delay in OM getting off. On/off switches and transition D bears watching. Just sayin.. Dearth is a first lime mid om/dm, Aviles would also be fine on 2nd line om. Impressed that a youngster is entrusted with a difficult role. Barlow's hedges well and like his physicality. Expect Dami to have some rust upon return. Fogo and G play always important, be so in Army game. Fernandez is wing machine and pest up top but Helmer gonna be needed agaisnt bigs, staff might have been saving him some. Clary is another good young athlete who can provide needed depth at two positions which might allow some flexibility with matchups as originally intended .Diff between Kennedy playing lsm or cd was seen in one 2q play, sprints sixty five yards pass four bingo players just to pass it off to dm because bingo d settled. Understand reason for shift but limits impact of a aggressive greyhound. DiPietro and Murphy looked good as well. latter said in presser that all five practice together and not just thrown together so .Communication and cohesion between K, DP and Murphy evident . Noticed all three willing to float off and help more in team d but Army O will certainly challenge that cohesion. All three cd carried across midfield which only Bomberry did last year Murphy and Helmer have adapted quickly to having pole back in hands. Man down still has to prove itself, exasperated now by absence of Mellen who was four year regular on man down,. Mellen was standing and walking fine but smart to hold him out vs Bingy as rather be at full health and avoid reaggravating whatever ails. Assume Desko will update later in week. .

All in all things have gone according to script (for the most part at least) two weeks into the 2020 season. Hard to take a lot away from the Binghamton game as they were so over matched, but it was good to see SU dominate where it should (Defensively at X, indiv matchups etc) and the D appear to look more cohesive although again you have to take the opponent into context. I thought the Bingo goalie played very well but its still never a great sign when a goalie stands on his head especially going into a game where the Army goalies save % is a ludicrous 84%. That said it was clear SU had little to worry about from a scoreboard perspective so guys were letting it fly early and often. Hated to see Berkman go down late with what is probably an ACL but the rest of the squad coming out healthy was a good sign.

Again hard to have to many takeaways from this type of game, but it was nice to see Cook have 5 pts and really continue to play within himself. Every member of the 2nd line had at least 1 point and that continues to be a very dangerous line despite Buttermore being off to a semi-slow start at least to his standards. I thought Fernandez really rebounded well after a slow start vs Gate, he had 6 Gb's and really looked like himself. I could be wrong but it looked like Helmer didn't see as much time and Landon Clary saw some backup minutes. Always good to build some depth and I know the staff was pretty high on both frosh lsms. I think Helmer is going to really have to play a key role here over the next few games. Nothing overt stuck out to me on the close defenders besides Kennedy absolutely dominating again so curious if anyone has anymore detailed thoughts there. Dearth and Aviles are a really nice 1-2 punch at SSDM, Aviles has really come on as a true frosh and has been impressive. A very under the radar recruit who should have gotten more pub. Always good to see the younger guys and those a bit buried on the depth chart get some run. Kim scored a real nice goal and Garlow looked like Danny Brennan re-incarnated out there. A nice easy going win that will unfortunately probably be the last one we see for the rest of the year with this schedule. Not to beat a dead horse yet again but a St. Bonaventure or other lower NY team later in the season would have been a real nice break for the team and get another W on the record but were staying with the 12 game schedule apparently, sorry rant over.

Sundays Army game is going to be a very interesting barometer to where this team is at as they have pretty much annihilated their first 3 opponents including two top 20 teams in Rutty and Umass. I think were all pretty familiar with Army so I am not going to get crazy in depth but their current play is definitely a bit of surprise. With losing so much to graduation I expected at least a slight step back for the team specifically on defense. Instead they have looked better then last years team (so far) and have given up an average of 3 goals a game with their goalie Schupler at an absolutely ridiculous .838 save %. I watched a quarter and a half of their game vs Rutty and some highlights form the other two. By the way the full RU game is on youtube, if you have some type give it a watch. What's most evident to me so far is how much they are getting out of their midfield. Normally Army is usually strong in one spot on offense but weak at the other. This year they appear to have good balance and have some nice pieces on their second mid line which is rare for the academy teams as quality depth is usually a major concern. Their 3rd and 4th leading scorers are 2nd line middies (pending results of tomorrow's Marist game). Can't recall the last time Army really had a serviceable 2nd mid line so that is huge for Alberici. They also have a new FOGO in Frosh Stevie Grabher who is at 67% at the X albeit against very weak competition besides the Umass game where Army finished just under 50% for the game.

So what does this mean for SU? Well the first thing is the Defense is really going to be tested. Army looked very comfortable initiating from the midfield against Rutty with a lot of success. Nichtern only finished with 3 assists versus Rutty but obviously he didn't need to do much when they were up big most of the game. The other two starting attackmen are two big Sr attackmen that SU is very familiar with in Sean O'Brien and Miles Silva. SU matched up with those two pretty well last year as they had 1 pt between them. O'Brien is a crease guy and dangerous as Nichtern and the middies are drawing so much attention he's getting a lot of doorstep looks and has 3 goals in every game so far. Should Mellen be back (god willing) I think Kennedy may take O'Brien if not this will probably fall to Dipetro. Army's starting midfield is a two Sr. group that again SU should be very familiar with; Matt Manown, and Connor Dewitt along with Sophmore Gunner Phillipp. I think Phillipp was hurt last year but from what I saw he was very active and not afraid to shoot. Manown whose brother plays at Duke has given us issues in the past. He was 2-1 last year against us and I think he will draw Fernandez/Helmer. Army's second line middies have been impressive as I noted above with Morin and Abshire having 12 goals between them. SU will need to be careful not let their guard down when they are in as they didn't hesitate to shoot and put some nice shots on cage. Dearth will really need to be on his game along with Aviles and Dami if he plays. Porter will face his first real test as well and we will need him to be up to the task big time. Obviously Mellen playing would be a big boost, I don't expect him to but hopefully good news is forthcoming.

Army's wins have been impressive so far but you wonder a bit about the competition as Umass lost a lot to graduation and NJIT is well NJIT. Still the Rutty win and holding that offense to only 4 goals was eye opening. Army's D has been dominant so far which appears to have been through a combo of good faceoff number, immaculate goalie play, and just good solid Army defense. That said an .800+ save % is clearly not sustainable and SU will be by far the best offense Army has seen this year, Rutty's attack unit not withstanding. Sr Tom Rigney appears to be Army's #1 cover guy. I suspect he will take Scanlan or Rehfuss (most likely Scanlan). Marcus Hudgins is the #2 guy, a very athletic former LSM's who had a big game against Umass. Beyer is the starter at LSM and they have a Sr with a lot of experience as their main SSDM. I am interested to see how Army attacks the SU offense. I feel its likely they will put Rigney on Scanlan and probably Hudgins on Rehfuss. Cook will draw the weakest close defender and needs to initiate the offense when he can. At the risk of Army doing it again this Sunday I have to think that as good as they have looked so far they are due to come back down a bit on defense. Rigby and the other guy are quality defenders but Surdick and Schultz the top two cover guys from last year were outstanding and I find it hard to believe there wont be some drop off. I would note that his past weekend Rutgers got some pretty good looks in the first half but either missed the cage or the Army goalie just made some great saves

This is a game where the SU midfield really needs to earn its publicity and praise. Army has a very good defense once again but I highly doubt their going to double poll the midfield and they don't normally play zone. Trimboli will almost certainly see a short stick and the either Curry or Dordevic will also get one. I suspect SU will try and attack through the midfield a lot and the 2nd line should see a lot of time as well. Good shot placement will be key, we will need to change angles and not telegraph shots. We need to finish in close better as well, the Bingo goalie had 2 or 3 doorstep saves that we needed to finish.

A few keys I will be looking at on Sunday
- What does the faceoff situation look like? SU dominated at the X last year and Army brings in a whole new crew this year. Their FOGO is a frosh and pretty much the main guy. Phaup *should have a slight advantage here but we will need our wings to be on point as Army destroyed RU and Umass on GB's and SU needs an effective counter there.

Penalties - We didn't have any against Bingo which was nice as the man down unit was abysmal against Colgate. We need to limit penalties and the man down unit has to be a lot better.

Man up Unit - Took an O fer against Colgate and really hasn't looked good at all through 2 games. I assume the staff wont make any changes (at least not yet) but would love to see Buttermore get a shot on the man up. Lindsay Kramer if your reading this please ask Desko in the next PC

Goalie play - Porter pretty much matched Baretto last year and he was a monster for a good stretch of the season. That said the D and Porter's play suffered late in the year versus UNC and Loyola and the unit overall was only so/so against Gate. Need the entire unit to play better but we will likely need Porter to steal a few on Sunday like Army's goalie has.

Lastly Turnovers - We haven't been terrible with 10 versus Gate and 13 versus Bingo but we haven't been good either. 13 versus Bingo is way way to much. Army's opponents are giving up over 20 times a game so far but Army is also turning it over themselves 17 times a game. SU needs to be at 10 or less this game. Turnovers and GB's are always critical against Army.
A couple comments about Army: they are fierce in GB battles especially in their offensive end. I noticed that Di Pietro reached entirely too much against a less than dominant Bing attack. He was a step behind and needed help too many times. He can pick up the ball but is slow to remove himself from scrums, a devastating flaw against Army. Too many turnovers in the SU defensive end could lead to a tired defense and late game problems. The one aspect constant in Army teams is less than average overall speed. They depend on determination, smarts and stamina to gobble GBs. Kennedy and Dearth have both size and speed and could shine at the defensive end, but they are in for the fight of their ...

Because $$$
Agreed, Army can bus the players up. Avoids a longer roadie to VA and points south in early Feb.

Do we know if they come in the night before or bus in on gameday?

Agreed, Army can bus the players up. Avoids a longer roadie to VA and points south in early Feb.

It's LAX.

I doubt there's an overnight stay involved for a 3.5 hour bus ride.

Why is this game always in the Dome?

Albrici gets a free trip home, it's a recruiting hotbed for Army, they probably make more here than hosting, and it's in February.

And I think Desko would drop the series first before playing them on the road. We can always find another opponent that wants to come here.

Watched tape, talked to Rutgers parent. Army is good. Very good.

Army is playing as one and team is firing on all cylinders. Playing fast and loose , they have athletes and this looks to be their best O in years .D has surprised but perhaps it shouldn't as Army has always been strong on that side.

Tough and gritty as usual but energy and enthusiasm is sky high as their players know they have a very good team capable of beating anyone. Flew under the radar a bit last year ,13-5 beating Loyola for PL chip and gave Penn all they could handle in NCAA.

I didn't like seeing Navy off schedule this year and pray that local Army stays on it every year as these are special games. Im sure they enjoy playing here given the larger crowd and warm reception and appreciation they receive here. Gives me chills watching them run onto the field with the American flag. Always root for the academies when they aren't playing us.

Albrici gets a free trip home, it's a recruiting hotbed for Army, they probably make more here than hosting, and it's in February.

And I think Desko would drop the series first before playing them on the road. We can always find another opponent that wants to come here.
You are definitely correct. I just think it would be cool to have SU play at Michie Stadium at some point. I went to Army vs. Hopkins a few years ago. Impressed with the fans and set up. Not as regal as a football game but still had a lot of the high class feelings.

Plus it feels like since we joined the ACC, we rarely play near Connecticut or Massachusetts. We used to do those faceoff classics at the Meadowlands and played UMASS/Providence. Even on long island other than a playoff game feels like a long time ago. We play at Cornell, Hobart and at Albany (this year is a first that I can recall). Maybe a game against BU or something. Might help us to recruit New England more?

Why is this game always in the Dome?

The game is always in the Dome for a few reasons. The biggest one is that Army and SU both want to play the game early in the season ie February and SU doesn't play road games in February because of the Dome. Its the same reason why SU won't be playing at Colgate anymore, they either have to come here or the game won't happen because it needs to be played early in the year. Same thing for Albany, both teams wanted the game early and SU isn't going to play at Albany in 20 degree weather. They agreed to play their this year only due to the Dome reno and that the game is much later in the season. Also because Albany has been begging SU to play a road game for a while as well.

You are definitely correct. I just think it would be cool to have SU play at Michie Stadium at some point. I went to Army vs. Hopkins a few years ago. Impressed with the fans and set up. Not as regal as a football game but still had a lot of the high class feelings.

Plus it feels like since we joined the ACC, we rarely play near Connecticut or Massachusetts. We used to do those faceoff classics at the Meadowlands and played UMASS/Providence. Even on long island other than a playoff game feels like a long time ago. We play at Cornell, Hobart and at Albany (this year is a first that I can recall). Maybe a game against BU or something. Might help us to recruit New England more?

BC needs to get their heads out of their asses and fully fund a Men's LAX team like they used to.

Solves the New England problem.

Solves the autobid problem.

Come on you know better. They rappel in from Chinooks about two hours before the game :)

BC needs to get their heads out of their asses and fully fund a Men's LAX team like they used to.

Solves the New England problem.

Solves the autobid problem.
Any idea on the Title IX hurdles they would be facing if they returned to D1 MLAX?

Army is very good, but Rutgers is not a top 20 team. They lost a lot to graduation especially the goalie Edelman. Rutgers can't buy a face off and O middies couldn't beat anyone on Army even late in the game. Army is playing Marist today who has a very good FOGO in Peyton Smith and I am interested to see how that match up goes. Army should beat Marist and I expect the Orange to be in a dogfight on Sunday.

The faceoff classics and other type games have unfortunately all gone away due to financial concerns and most schools joining conferences. SU's schedule is different then it was back in the day due to being in a conference. Most of Syracuse's later schedule into late March and April is already spoken for and with the ACC tourney two additional weekends are no longer viable.

Also Desko has made the decision to go to a smaller schedule with a higher RPI and SOS. He also wants to avoid playing mid week games as much as possible so adding additional teams is also a no go save for maybe 1 more to give us a 13 game schedule.

Any idea on the Title IX hurdles they would be facing if they returned to D1 MLAX?

I know that 20 years ago they eliminated LAX, Wrestling, and Men's Water Polo to make room for more Women's sports.

Maybe they could drop Fencing or Sailing ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom