General thoughts on Bingo and look ahead to Army | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

General thoughts on Bingo and look ahead to Army

Huge break for Marist, Army throws it away with no pressure on the man up, brutally bad turnover

Marist goes off sides for like the second time in 2 in and with the man up still Army again throws it away with no pressure. Both teams really choking here late.

15-9 Army, Marist getting sloppy and not valuing possession.
Both teams look sloppy now. Marist should be killing clock. Instead, they're making dumb mistakes with the ball.

16-9 Marist, another invert goal where the guy just kept juking and then he came around GLE for a dunk shot like Rehfuss.

Have to assume based off of this film SU is going to invert a crap ton on Sunday even though that's not our MO. Its pretty much all Marist has done unless Army is double polling or I am missing something.

Army probably looking ahead but they have to be shaken. Get up early and make them chase.

Have to assume based off of this film SU is going to invert a crap ton on Sunday even though that's not our MO. Its pretty much all Marist has done unless Army is double polling or I am missing something.
Sounds like a good strategy. Army seemed to have trouble defending Marist's quick attackmen, who were initiating from behind the goal. Could be a good sign for Cook? Of course, the cold, rainy conditions probably didn't help Army at all.

Marist wins 17-9, a lot of good scouting for the Orange for Sunday's game

Sounds like a good strategy. Army seemed to have trouble defending Marist's quick attackmen, who were initiating from behind the goal. Could be a good sign for Cook? Of course, the cold, rainy conditions probably didn't help Army at all.

Yes Army appeared to have a ton of issues defending that invert, reminded me a lot of us against UNC in the ACC tourney. What was interesting is that Marist scored a bunch of goals dodging from X and scoring versus dodging and then feeding. It also appeared that many of the inverts were against short sticks. Now they certainly could have used picks to get an attackmen free or Army could have been double polling or they were inverting whatever midfielders had the SSDM and then just attacking from there. I will have to see the box score to know for sure.

I would pump the brakes on the whole goalie with 80% saves thing. He is good, but he didn't beat out Barretto last year and wasn't handed the job in the fall, he had to win it. UMASS took a lot of poor shots, they did not look good at all. NJIT is very weak. Rutgers is weak at the midfield and was dominated at the x. I think the Orange has to run its offense and not settle for poor shots--that play's into Army's hand.
Good call. If I read the IL box score correctly, his save percentage was only 37% against Marist.

Once thing that may be beneficial to Army is that if the Marist mids were the ones inverting that maybe difficult for SU to replicate as our mids don't really do that save for Dordevic and I haven't seen him do it this year. Curry only usually dodges from up top and occasionally the wing ala Costabile, Trimbo does't dodge much period and Dordevic I think may have inverted a few times his frosh year but he certainly hasn't so far this season. I think if your SU you have to get Dordevic Curry, Lipka and Quinn practicing inverting the next few days.

Marist turns the ball over 19 times, only clears 20-26, and still blows out Army. That is just stunning.

1582064174636.png

16 saves by Marist goalie. Looking at some scores and stats , goalie position/play may be the largest factor in many outcomes.

Marist turns the ball over 19 times, only clears 20-26, and still blows out Army. That is just stunning.

View attachment 176922

A lot of those turnovers were in the fourth, probably at least 6+, they had at least 2 or 3 offsides as well. The penalties - 7 for Army plus another 16 turnovers really speaks volumes. Also Army was only 1-5 on the man up and threw away at least two passes from what I observed.

Checked the box score, looks like Maris's attack guys did most of the damage but at least one appears to have been running at midfield. Will need to see a replay but looked like they waited until they got an attackmen on a shorty or inverted the converted attackmen and then simply initiated from X with a lot of success. Stunning how out of sorts Army looked.

Once thing that may be beneficial to Army is that if the Marist mids were the ones inverting that maybe difficult for SU to replicate as our mids don't really do that save for Dordevic and I haven't seen him do it this year. Curry only usually dodges from up top and occasionally the wing ala Costabile, Trimbo does't dodge much period and Dordevic I think may have inverted a few times his frosh year but he certainly hasn't so far this season. I think if your SU you have to get Dordevic Curry, Lipka and Quinn practicing inverting the next few days.
I didn't see the whole game, but the IL box score suggests that it was the attackmen who were coming from X and scoring. It shows that 4 attackmen were among Marist's top 5 scorers, including Embury (4-3), Weinman (3-0), Pirreca (2-3) and Musso (2-0).

I didn't see the whole game, but the IL box score suggests that it was the attackmen who were coming from X and scoring. It shows that 4 attackmen were among Marist's top 5 scorers, including Embury (4-3), Weinman (3-0), Pirreca (2-3) and Musso (2-0).

LOL just posted the same thing. Very interesting. Will give the SU staff a lot to contemplate on how to attack army especially assuming that Alberici will adjust.

Lots of penalties. Hasn’t been a factor either way for SU

LOL just posted the same thing. Very interesting. Will give the SU staff a lot to contemplate on how to attack army especially assuming that Alberici will adjust.

Pretty flummoxed on what to think about Sunday - never though Army could lose to Marist. But should serve as a lesson to never take any opponent for granted. Hope the Orange come in to the game thinking they are playing the Army team that won its first three games by lopsided margins. Have to imagine the Black Knights will spend a lot of time trying to correct their faults from Tuesday.

As for the strategy of inverting, Syracuse can definitely do it, its a matter of will they? Dordvic defiantly inverted briefly against Binghamton (and looked dangerous doing so) and I know Quinn scored a nice goal against Colgate doing the same. Buttermore has experience as well. And of course Curry was playing some attack his freshmen year so its not a foreign concept. But it comes down to the strategy of the coaches, and it probably does us no good to focus on last year. Is this a concept that Princeton used last year? So far this year, I feel like players are pretty interchangeable and you'll see guys pop up all over the field (Scanlan scored some nice goals from the left, Cook operates a lot of time at X and also up top, etc). The good news is SU likes to put a lot of pressure on short sticks, so if inverting is something that works well against Army, they should be in good shape. Part of me also thinks this offense has been holding back a bit, and there will be more sets we haven't seen yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom