George McDonald's challenge | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

George McDonald's challenge

Hopefully we can at least do better than the turnout that Da U got for their spring game:

757724577.jpg

That sign in the background can't be helping attendence

They put in the requisite effort in to the hold the event... I'm not sure what we don't realize otherwise??Supporting this event is part of the many things the athletic department does.

As for ROI, I have no doubts that this event is low priority... as it should be.

For perspective, I am sure that spring game attendance (for a free scrimmage) is barely on the radar screen compared to selling season tix and actually getting the fan game attendance to a level where we might be flirting with a home sellout or two each season.

... they arent doing a good job keeping season ticket holders, i can tell you that. i am pretty frustrated at this point with the Box Office. I wish i knew someone to email or call who can actually help. Why is it so very difficult to add a season ticket to our existing ones? They have confirmed many times (i keep calling) that there is a seat open on both sides of our season tix... yet they have still not released them since they were someone else's season tix last season.

The deadline was April 3. Just poor, poor customer service to risk losing five long time season ticket holders (we are about to tell them to screw) to simply hold out that the person next to us (who was at 1 our of the 5 games last year) will renew AFTER the deadline. Ridiculous.

End rant. Go Cuse.

1) include the spring game in the ticket package from the previous year. How much more can it cost to attach one more stub to the sheet?

2) include the spring game in the basketball season ticket package. Let's cross pollinate the two big programs a little bit.

3) include the spring game in the lacrosse season ticket package, and make sure there is ALWAYS a lacrosse game scheduled for after the football game. Work together folks.

4) if you don't have a ticket, you c an get. One at Wegmans. If you don't get one at wegmans, or with your season ticket package, tickets are $2 at the door. Kids 12 and under free. Any proceeds go to Save the Spotted Owl or some other charity.

5) organize a committee of Newhouse students to take on the project as a project for credit with supervision in conjunction with the Sports Management program. These are talented kids and a free resource. Let the come up with ways to publicize, promote, execute, energize, etc.

6) play an actual game. For too many years we played these abbreviated offensive series' which had little to no semblance to an actual game.

I'd be thrilled if we got 20K real fannies in the seats for Wagner. But I like Coach McDonald's enthusiasm.

Aim high or don't play.

... they arent doing a good job keeping season ticket holders, i can tell you that. i am pretty frustrated at this point with the Box Office. I wish i knew someone to email or call who can actually help. Why is it so very difficult to add a season ticket to our existing ones? They have confirmed many times (i keep calling) that there is a seat open on both sides of our season tix... yet they have still not released them since they were someone else's season tix last season.

The deadline was April 3. Just poor, poor customer service to risk losing five long time season ticket holders (we are about to tell them to screw) to simply hold out that the person next to us (who was at 1 our of the 5 games last year) will renew AFTER the deadline. Ridiculous.

End rant. Go Cuse.

Just an fyi. They wont release them until 5/3. They extended the 4/3 for those folks who forgot or were indecisive about renewing.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Beer always works - do a taste of local breweries for $1 or $2 a small glass each. Food works too like a taste of Syracuse event to go along with the beer...10,000 drunken and rowdy fans for a spring game would be great!

End rant. Go Cuse.

The guy I have been working with on my Season Tix has been great... very helpful and good attention-to-detail.

message me if you want his direct #.

It's funny, I always read complaints here about the Carrier Dome box office, but I have never once experienced that.

That's really unfortunate. Seems pretty consistent with the sentiments of the community at large, though. There are too few of these diehards.

(Doesn't cast your kids in a great light, though - if the coaches are going out of their way to set the kids up with an experience they think would be beneficial, I'd hope that the kids -- or at least their parents -- would recognize that this is something they should attend.)
They have a great staff where Finwad32 coaches, I used to be part of it, but he is right, a large number of the kids wouldn't put in the time when the coaches are willing to put in more than the extra effort. But a few kids will take the extra opportunity and run with it.
Finwad32 if you need help with getting this together let me know, I'll pull as many strings as possible.

A freebee to high school students could be a huge get to some programs. Imagine 50 local programs with teams of 30 kids, those would be huge numbers for a spring game at Syracuse and larger numbers than probably ever seen at a Cuse spring game.

They have a great staff where Finwad32 coaches, I used to be part of it, but he is right, a large number of the kids wouldn't put in the time when the coaches are willing to put in more than the extra effort. But a few kids will take the extra opportunity and run with it.
Finwad32 if you need help with getting this together let me know, I'll pull as many strings as possible.

A freebee to high school students could be a huge get to some programs. Imagine 50 local programs with teams of 30 kids, those would be huge numbers for a spring game at Syracuse and larger numbers than probably ever seen at a Cuse spring game.

And a great part of it at that!

I think we'll be lucky to get 3k there. I hope George won't be demoralized.

Have a monster truck rally on the Quad after the game. That should get 20k up on campus.

Have the monster truck rally in the Dome during the spring game. Cross promotion possibilities? Endless. Look on truck rally attendee's face when Bromley tackles truck for a loss? Priceless. Now that'd be hardnosed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a practice, and our starting QB next year won't be in it. Honestly to me it isn't a big deal at all.

The fanbase shows it can support winning programs just fine.

The recruits there care.

It's a practice, and our starting QB next year won't be in it. Honestly to me it isn't a big deal at all.

The fanbase shows it can support winning programs just fine.

you may not care, but the kids we have attending the game definitely care. kids these days crave the attention. unfortunately it has a pretty big effect on recruiting.

it's pretty sad i haven't heard it at least 1 advertisement for it. how hard is it to go on a few radio shows, or even a couple quick local commercials to try and get some steam back behind this program. i mean with a little effort you should be able to get 5k in the seats, which is terrible, but still an improvement.

as for 20k, we were lucky if we had 30k for Stonybrook last year.

I think the excuse would be the fact they would charge prices and turn away the casual fan.

If you put money into the event, you need to get money out of it.

I am sure many on the board would go to the spring game regardless of cost. Casual fans will not. There is that fine line between cost, opportunity cost and profit.

Syracuse is not Nebraska. Compare Syracuse spring game to a team like NC State. And, I couldn't find any mention of the spring game on their official football website (besides their twitter feed).

I think the problem IS:

the casual fan ain't going to the spring game...

BTW, NC State as a comparative??

yikes...

The recruits there care.

It's the spring game. They should care a lot more about an ACC schedule, PSU at Giants Stadium, etc, etc.

If we lose kids because people don't come to an open practice then that's nuts.

I think the problem IS:

the casual fan ain't going to the spring game...

BTW, NC State as a comparative??

yikes...

Who would you compare Syracuse to?

Both teams breaking in new coaches, appear to be going for the same type of player, are in the same basic spot in the ACC.

It's the spring game. They should care a lot more about an ACC schedule, PSU at Giants Stadium, etc, etc.

If we lose kids because people don't come to an open practice then that's nuts.

They are 17 to 19 years old... They define the term nuts.

Mini Kiss concert on the quad?

There has to be something that can be done to not only promote the game, but to attract the casual fan. And whatever that is, it probably has to be free or cost next to nothing.

Mini Kiss concert on the quad?

There has to be something that can be done to not only promote the game, but to attract the casual fan. And whatever that is, it probably has to be free or cost next to nothing.

Just look at midnight madness how many people that draws. The spring game is the equivalent of midnight madness. Yes last year got out of control, but just shows how much the fan support is lagging behind for the football program. Hopefully some wins can change it, but in the mean time some sort of publicity to push it could prove beneficial .

Who would you compare Syracuse to?

Both teams breaking in new coaches, appear to be going for the same type of player, are in the same basic spot in the ACC.

Have you visited their forum? I checked it out before our b-ball game v. them @ NC State last year.

It was rough... Constant state of butthurt playing the little bro of UNC/Duke card...

When we pulled a G-Town Verizon Center and took over their arena we might as well have shot their dog...

Whiniest fan forum I have seen... made the rutgers forum and boneyard look like rational boards..

Why do you say that? I didn't realize he had a falling out with university. I knew him at SU--had some classes together, we were the same year--he seemed to like SU.

Marvin does nothing for nobody according to reports from Indy friends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom