Georgia Tech Postgame Thoughts | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Georgia Tech Postgame Thoughts

Moore and Freeman are big time talent. Westry is too.
We can't depend on Westry. He hasn't played in 2 years. I am also not sold on Cuffe. If he moved on, I wouldn't give it a second thought. If he stays, I guess I would be okay with that as well. And I am 100% not sold on Moore being a big time talent. The guys that do this for a living rank him around 50 to 60. that is good. But not great.

Red like HCFB has a lot he can sell in the portal…he will do well. Still looking at a couple 24s too I’ve heard
What 24s are still out there that would actually help?

Very bad sign. Aside from the obvious, the players visibly squabbling during a huddle, can signify a loss of control by th coaching staff.
Why is players talking it out on the sidelines or in the game a sign of loss of control by coaches? Maybe the non-conspiracy theory version is these are high caliber athletes who are used to winning and care about winning and are pushing each other to get better? These guys know they need to win every game to have a shot at dancing. I think the fact that they are holding each other accountable and trying to fix mistakes is a good sign that they haven’t checked out.

Is it also a sign of loss of control when the players pick each other up and congratulate each other after good plays?

People need to get a grip about the coaching staff. They are doing generally okay with what they got.

If teams couldn’t sag on Judah, he would be more effective. ND is much better defensively than GT and they will play everyone in the paint too. They clobbered GT on the boards.

I think a lot of it is in JTs head at this point. He wasn’t this bad. He can’t hit anything anymore. He struggles in warmups too. It’s odd.

This Year vs ACC, Tennessee, Gonzaga:
6-37 (16%)

This Year vs Everyone Else:
19-46 (41%)

Since February 4 last year against ACC, Illinois, Tennessee, Gonzaga:
6-44 (13.6%)

I would say good teams started doing something different against him after something was put on film in February last year, but it almost has to be a confidence issue. Overall last year vs the ACC and Illinois he was 19-46 (41%). So he's had stretches of success against good competition, but we're not seeing any signs of life right now.

I didn't see the game because it was on the CW, but from what I noted it looks like they just made more shots than us. We won the turnover battle, lost the battle inside, but fought with a warrior's spirit.

One big upside was Taylor's play. He stuffed the stat sheet again today so I think he may be turning a corner. One more game with a rebound, assist and point in the same contest and he'll hit his season high (3 games in a row) post-cupcake schedule.
Normally I would think this is funny, but sadly I did watch the game. :(

Why is players talking it out on the sidelines or in the game a sign of loss of control by coaches? Maybe the non-conspiracy theory version is these are high caliber athletes who are used to winning and care about winning and are pushing each other to get better? These guys know they need to win every game to have a shot at dancing. I think the fact that they are holding each other accountable and trying to fix mistakes is a good sign that they haven’t checked out.

Is it also a sign of loss of control when the players pick each other up and congratulate each other after good plays?

People need to get a grip about the coaching staff. They are doing generally okay with what they got.
Players arguing with each other, aka finger pointing, is not a sign of good coaching. It isn't a sign of being competitors. Or holding each other accountable. Look at this way, when you see teams not doing that, do you think, oh those guys don't care. They aren't yelling at each other. Because for 50 years, we didn't do that crap.

This Year vs ACC, Tennessee, Gonzaga:
6-37 (16%)

This Year vs Everyone Else:
19-46 (41%)

Since February 4 last year against ACC, Illinois, Tennessee, Gonzaga:
6-44 (13.6%)

I would say good teams started doing something different against him after something was put on film in February last year, but it almost has to be a confidence issue. Overall last year vs the ACC and Illinois he was 19-46 (41%). So he's had stretches of success against good competition, but we're not seeing any signs of life right now.
Except, they just leave him alone now.

I find them surprisingly out of control after good and bad plays. Composure is not a word that I have used more than once this season with this team.

Most frustrating L all year easily.

Hima…… come on, man. Cant blame the loss on someone playing 30s but come onnnnn.
......I totally agree with this being a frustrating loss but not sure I can say "most frustrating"! There have been a few more that have been "top shelf" in the most frustrating column!! Simply a terribly inconsistent team without a leader!!! How can this team be in its 25th or 26th game still without a leader?

I have been told by someone who would know, that the league refs are sick of our act. Other teams don't whine like we do.
You've heard that about this year in particular, or going back? I know refs in all sports hate being shown up. It's one thing to argue a call or complain to them about it, but it's another to do it in a demonstrative way. Obviously it happens from time to time, emotions run high and all, but if you're doing it too much it's probably going to backfire.

I wondered about that during the game. Amazing that we weren't called for any technicals.

You know, I'd much rather them call the game straight and just T us up aggressively than to do what they're doing - let the whining go but every close call goes the other way.

Rebounds and missed front ends of the 1 and 1s..good teams don’t struggle with either. Complete back breakers in a tough game on the road
...and you can add to that the missed bunnies and fast breaks!!!!

Except, they just leave him alone now.
Yeah I meant to elaborate on "it has to be a confidence issue," but that's what I was getting at. Something about that level of competition is in his head. I mean 13.6% over basically two seasons of conference play is horrendous. I'm 5'7 and suck at basketball, but if you leave me wide open, I'd like to think I can hit 1 in 10 at least.

...and you can add to that the missed bunnies and fast breaks!!!!
Let us not forget that twice, we got the rebound and had it stripped out of our guys hands.

There were several flare ups on the bench and on the court today. Red got into with Bell - the exchange was clearly heated. Maybe people are reading too much into all that, but it seemed pretty clear to me that stuff was going on beyond players "pushing each other to get better."

Players arguing with each other, aka finger pointing, is not a sign of good coaching. It isn't a sign of being competitors. Or holding each other accountable. Look at this way, when you see teams not doing that, do you think, oh those guys don't care. They aren't yelling at each other. Because for 50 years, we didn't do that crap.
Did it really not happen for 50 years? I feel like I saw it last year at the very least.

There were several flare ups on the bench and on the court today. Red got into with Bell - the exchange was clearly heated. Maybe people are reading too much into all that, but it seemed pretty clear to me that stuff was going on beyond players "pushing each other to get better."
We have immature players. That is clear. I guess I don’t see every little thing like this as an indictment of the coaching staff. Staying in zone too long and leaving Taylor out there too long are definitely indictments of the coaches.

One other observation… Bell has no clue how to play zone. His zone d is worse than his m2m D.

In terms of progression and regression, Taylor reminds me a bit of Louie McCroskey.

Deep breath. I'm strictly talking about basketball. Not personality. Similar in size with a strong frame. Sporadic/streaky shooter. Good rebounding for a guard.

There was a ton of optimism around Taylor last season. He looked and felt like he could be the next Andy Rautins for us. Similarly, people may forget this, but Louie was a fan favorite in the Dome during his freshman season in 03-04. They would put up "Louuuuuuuuuuie" on the old 8-bit screen and the crowd would chant his name. But then the following season it began to unravel and you saw he was in over his head.

I have been told by someone who would know, that the league refs are sick of our act. Other teams don't whine like we do.
Is a lot of this on Mintz or more of them??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom