get rid of FGs | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

get rid of FGs

Adam Vinateri missed 2 XPs from the 15 with 14 feet wide goal posts rather than the current 18 feet goalposts.

This suggestion to get rid of FGs is dumb and just reeks of too much thinking. FGs are part of the game, suggestion to the OP go enjoy Arena football if you want passing/running no punting and very little FGs.
scorching!

I believe a drop kick is still legal. I think it fell out of favor as the shape of the ball became pointier.

Doug Flutie did one in the NFL when he was with the Bills.

Doug Flutie did one in the NFL when he was with the Bills.
That was just his reaction to hearing Rob Johnson ("QB of the Future") named the starter.

Assume you'd also be OK with no longer calling the sport "football."

Gridiron is a fine name, and more accurate anyway.

it has change several times already. originally no touchdowns at all then they added some method other than kicking to score.. there was also no center snap a kickoff on every play

then this

By 1882, four touchdowns had become the equivalent of one field goal, and two safeties had become the equivalent of one touchdown. This system could be confusing, so Camp introduced a points system in 1883. His initial point values were:

• Safety: 1 point
  • Touchdown: 2 points
  • Field goal after a touchdown (point after try): 4 points
  • Field goal: 5 points
Camp assigned a point value to touchdowns, but the ultimate objective was still to kick a goal, and the field goal after the touchdown was worth twice as much as the touchdown itself.

This system didn’t last long. The idea of “points” was a good one, but the point values weren’t quite right. A couple months later, Camp introduced a revised scoring system:

• Safety: 2 points
  • Touchdown: 4 points
  • Field goal after a touchdown (point after try): 2 points
  • Field goal: 5 points

Don't worry, that was just his OPINION.
Thanks sport its good to know you actually care to troll me. As I could honestly give a crap what you think of me. The day I remember anything you post might be the day I may have to stop posting as I would be scared that your post lasted in my memory.

Alsacs said:
Thanks sport its good to know you actually care to troll me. As I could honestly give a crap what you think of me. The day I remember anything you post might be the day I may have to stop posting as I would be scared that your post lasted in my memory.

Sport?

This is remarkable...

"For all the talk of West Coast offenses, the invention of the pro formation, the wildcat, 5-wide sets, the rise of the pass-catching tight-end, Bill Walsh, the Greatest Show On Turf, and the general recognition that passing, passing and more passing is the best way to score in football, half the improvement in scoring in the past 50-plus years of NFL history has come solely from field-goal kickers kicking more accurately."

Despite counting an autographed picture of Adam Viniatieiri as one of my most-cherished sports possessions, I'm all in favor of eliminating kicking from the game.

Well, if you remove kicking from the game, I guess you'd have to change the name of the game, right?

What would it be called?

"Maul-Ball"? Or "Tackle-Ball"?

They should award 1 point for any punt return where there isn't an illegal block in the back or a holding penalty.

1 point if you kick the ball through the endzone, a la Canadian football

They should award 1 point for any punt return where there isn't an illegal block in the back or a holding penalty.
Ooooooooooh, now that could get interesting.

Some people forget how SU's first touchdown pass of the year came to be.

I'll also let you be the one to tell Jim Brown that the extra points that he kicked are being stricken from he record books.

IMHO, the game is fine the way it is. The NFL keeps looking for ways to cook the goose that lays the golden eggs. If they want to make the game better, get rid of some commercials... Do you really need a commercial before and after a kickoff? Really?

Ooooooooooh, now that could get interesting.
so you guys want more ways to score that involve kicking.

let's give the other team a point everytime a coach does something I don't like. interesting!

i don't like piles of fat guys on 4th and short. 1 point for the opposition

i want people to score when they possess the ball in the endzone. in baseball, you score if you get home. basketball, if you throw through the hoop. hockey soccer if you get it in the other teams net

football, a touchdown is 7, a safety 2, a field goal 3, and now if a team punts to you you get 1?

football is stupid. the objective of the game is to score TDs and stop TDs. get rid of all the other partial credit junk. i'm fine with a safety being considered a TD for the defending team but that's probably too radical

let's give the other team a point everytime a coach does something I don't like. interesting!

i want people to score when they possess the ball in the endzone. in baseball, you score if you get home. basketball, if you throw through the hoop. hockey soccer if you get it in the other teams net

football, a touchdown is 7, a safety 2, a field goal 3, and now if a team punts to you you get 1?

football is stupid. the objective of the game is to score TDs and stop TDs. get rid of all the other partial credit junk. i'm fine with a safety being considered a TD for the defending team but that's probably too radical
I would like to see how the game would change - in particular, how the defensive strategy would be different.

I get what you're saying. I'm pretty sure we agree though that coaches are dumb about punting.

The idea of having a punt mean that you give up a point is pretty interesting though, because coaches would have to assess differently how much they value the field position gain of the punt. Do coaches love the field position game so much that they are willing to give up 5-10 points a game because of all the punting they do? Hmm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom