Girard | Syracusefan.com

Girard

mark79

All Conference
Not sure if I’m the only one here but I REALLY liked what I saw out of Girard last night. He is a lot more poised than I thought he would be as a freshman and he can shoot the lights out.

Given we’ve only seen him in two preseason games with lesser opponents, but Carleton was in his pants all night and he didn’t get rattled. He looked extremely confident directing the offense and so far his J is as advertised. Looked pretty good on D as well - a little better than I thought. Not ready to anoint him or anything as it’s too early but I’m pleased.

he surprised a lot of people with his developed handle.

different animal against ACC guards. Interested to see him against the more established OOCp5 guards where the opportunity presents itself

We do know that he is used to being heavily guarded. He was triple teamed in many of his high school games. I think we were all a little concerned whether or not he could play his game against better defensive players, but as Jake said, he’s crafty. I loved what I saw, but I want to see how he handles someone like Tre Jones.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do. I couldn't watch the game last night. I need to find a streaming service for the ACC Network. My comcast cable in seattle doesn't have it. I will admit I didn't think he will be able to contribute much year 1 and was concerned about his handle and athleticism in the ACC. If he is able to help year 1 that would be great since it doesn't seem like Carey has progressed like we had hoped.

I'm not surprised by the poise. It's what I've seen from him for the past 10 years and he played QB the same way. State Championship QB remember. But seeing him repeatedly take on double teams as a sophomore in front 5000 screaming fans and drain 39 points was something to behold. This kid has had a target on his back since he was a freshman. He's always performed and carried himself beyond his years and I've never seen him wilt. Has always reminded me of Gerry Mac and the way Gerry handled himself as a freshman. He's going to be special here.

We do know that he is used to being heavily guarded. He was triple teamed in many of his high school games. I think we were all a little concerned whether or not he could play his game against better defensive players, but as Jake said, he’s crafty. I loved what I saw, but I want to see how he handles someone like Tre Jones.

The best way to handle Tre Jones - is to have Frank shoulder-check him out of the game. ;)

The 2nd best way is - to have a guy Jones is NOT guarding be the one to bring the ball up.
We used this to great effect vs him the last time we played them.

JGIII doesn’t have to handle Tre - he and his teammates need to collectively do so.

Last edited:
No doubt about it that JG3 will be a stud for us in the future. No shade against Carey, but he's not doing it for me on the PG situation. Doesn't protect the ball very well and has a lot of TO's when he's in. Im hoping that he will clean that up during the season because he's excellent on the defensive end. JG3 looks to me like the more natural PG and the offense seems to move a hell of a lot smoother and faster when he was in vs when Carey's in. We have yet to see how this team will play against top ACC competition but Carey better play his cards right because JG3 is nipping at his heels for that starting spot.

I'm not surprised by the poise. It's what I've seen from him for the past 10 years and he played QB the same way. State Championship QB remember. But seeing him repeatedly take on double teams as a sophomore in front 5000 screaming fans and drain 39 points was something to behold. This kid has had a target on his back since he was a freshman. He's always performed and carried himself beyond his years and I've never seen him wilt. Has always reminded me of Gerry Mac and the way Gerry handled himself as a freshman. He's going to be special here.
We’re you really stalking his biddy basketball games in Glens Falls when he was 9???

No doubt about it that JG3 will be a stud for us in the future. No shade against Carey, but he's not doing it for me on the PG situation. Doesn't protect the ball very well and has a lot of TO's when he's in. Im hoping that he will clean that up during the season because he's excellent on the defensive end. JG3 looks to me like the more natural PG and the offense seems to move a hell of a lot smoother and faster when he was in vs when Carey's in. We have yet to see how this team will play against top ACC competition but Carey better play his cards right because JG3 is nipping at his heels for that starting spot.
If JG3 over JC is trading offense over defense, then sign me up. If we're going to lose I want to lose 80-76 and not 50-46.

He's played well. Much better than I expected. Nice control of the dribble and good court sense (based on a tiny sample size). Can he do it against big college players? Will he get a chance? (That is, will Boeheim decide to go against 11 years of precedent and say "what the hell, let's give minutes to the short freshman who's never played my defense before"?)

Time will tell.

He's played well. Much better than I expected. Nice control of the dribble and good court sense (based on a tiny sample size). Can he do it against big college players? Will he get a chance? (That is, will Boeheim decide to go against 11 years of precedent and say "what the hell, let's give minutes to the short freshman who's never played my defense before"?)

Time will tell.
GMAC says hi... isn't Girard actually taller than GMAC?

GMAC says hi... isn't Girard actually taller than GMAC?

Those were the tavern-league days, before Boeheim became a defense-first (and zone-only) coach. Also, McNamara only had to outplay Tyrone Albright to crack the starting lineup on a team that surprisingly had no guard depth at all.

Because I think Jalen can still be a major asset defensively and pushing the tempo I would prefer he not be replaced in the starting lineup. He has been shaky but not "last year shaky" and has played really well in spurts.

If JG3 and Brycen can fill the Sophomore Dion role of coming in and giving us a huge lift / different look in the backcourt all while not destroying Carey's confidence we might be able to maximize things. Also I really liked the Carey/Girard combo given the defense/offense mix you get.

Whenever he's on the floor he needs to touch the ball. No questions asked.

Because I think Jalen can still be a major asset defensively and pushing the tempo I would prefer he not be replaced in the starting lineup. He has been shaky but not "last year shaky" and has played really well in spurts.

If JG3 and Brycen can fill the Sophomore Dion role of coming in and giving us a huge lift / different look in the backcourt all while not destroying Carey's confidence we might be able to maximize things. Also I really liked the Carey/Girard combo given the defense/offense mix you get.
Carey's J is much improved.. he's a threat from the baseline 3 which is awesome. My main concern is he doesn't seem to be clean with the ball when pressured... dribbled it off his foot multiple times and he doesn't seem to do well at running the offense vs getting shots for himself.

I thought the offense looked best when the backcourt was Goodine and Girard paired together. Honestly it reminded me a little bit of Edelin and GMac. I think with all the guards we have we should be able to get some competent guard play in most days if JB is willing to rotate the players. Much more concerned about the front court.

Time will tell.

i think ultimately that will depend on if he’s the rare freshman(for us) that shoots the ball well.

If he’s going to light it up from outside like he did last night, you’ve gotta play him IMO. Making shots covers for a lot of weaknesses.

i think ultimately that will depend on if he’s the rare freshman(for us) that shoots the ball well.

If he’s going to light it up from outside like he did last night, you’ve gotta play him IMO. Making shots covers for a lot of weaknesses.

I do like offense. I'm happy to trade some defensive mistakes for a guard who can do all the other things Syracuse guards used to do.

having been through this bear of a football season, I think we have a renewed appreciation for players with intangibles.

And for scoring points. Ultimately this is entertainment for me. I can’t sit through a football season of 3 and outs and sacks followed by another hoop season of rock fights. I can’t. I won’t.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom