Girard | Syracusefan.com

Girard

He’s a better shooter and finisher. Remember how if he was in the open for a layup as a freshman he would take forever to finish and let the defense catch up and either block it or foul him? He’s a lot smoother with that.

Defense hasn’t improved though.

His TS% and eFG% popped significantly last year relative to his soph year. I'd give him credit for that for sure.

He gets in trouble when he's shooting twos. He's either doing some fallaway jumper because of his size or he's having trouble finishing a contested shot at the rim.

But credit where it's due for last year's numbers going up.

He is a fellow small-school Upstate New Yorker who is about five years younger than me that that has basically lived the life that I dreamed of since I was a kid. I have always rooted for him and have given him the benefit of the doubt plenty since he got here. I think that JB has consistently not put him and the team in the best position to succeed since he came to Cuse. His ability to put the ball in the cup is special.

That said, his effort on defense has been bad far too often and last night was probably as bad as I can remember. I have never seen a defender let someone back them down as easily as Joe did last night. There was literally a foot or two of space in between him and the guy with the ball. I get not wanting to draw fouls or whatever other lame excuse but it was embarrassing.

I was just thinking Joe would be a great player coming off the bench on a good SU team. Then I remembered Cooney, who obviously was a starter. Looking at their stats just now, I was a little surprised how Joe is better in just about every category (comparing last year to Cooney's senior year).

FG %: 39.2 versus 34.8
3pt %: 40.3 versus 35.4
FT %: 88.2 versus 80.6
Assists: 4.2 versus 2.3

The only category Cooney was better in was turnovers, 1.5 versus 2.8.

I think I forget how Cooney used to frustrate me just as much as Joe does at times. I think it comes down to when Joe feels like he has to be the offense - then he starts chucking the ball up too much and his shot selection sucks.

See players like Joe we would be pissed we didn’t recruit out of HS because they tore up high school locally. But when we do recruit him and he does exactly what we thought, we get mad because he wasn’t the next Jimmer.

Joe was never gonna avg 30 points a game or be an NBA player. You knew he was going to improve freshman year to Sophomore year, just because he was going to get stronger, understand the game more, get up to speed with the college pace, etc…but players like Joe their ceiling is pretty low but their floor is pretty high. You knew what type of player he was going to be after his Sophomore year. He’s been pretty consistent his sophomore year-senior year so far. You know exactly what you are gonna get out of him. Joes a good college player, not great. Tbh not a great fit for the Syracuse system but he’s one of those players you have to recruit because he is tearing it up in your backyard and he had some high school prestige and was a friends of Buddy. Joe hit his ceiling here his Sophomore year which is not a bad thing, you knew what he was his Sophomore year. That being said, Syracuse will likely find a better fit once he is gone. Someone who is more naturally one of ours guards, that is bigger, more athletic, better on defense and fits the system better. No slight to Girard as it’s not hit fault and he’s done some good things here. He’s just limited in things he can do at this level as most players are. His skill set, height, and athleticism limited him but he did well with what he has. Ideally he’s not a starter here on a typical Cuse team from the 80’s-mid 2010’s. But he’d be a solid career backup SG/PG on a typical Cuse team.

I was just thinking Joe would be a great player coming off the bench on a good SU team. Then I remembered Cooney, who obviously was a starter. Looking at their stats just now, I was a little surprised how Joe is better in just about every category (comparing last year to Cooney's senior year).

I think I forget how Cooney used to frustrate me just as much as Joe does at times. I think it comes down to when Joe feels like he has to be the offense - then he starts chucking the ball up too much and his shot selection sucks.
Cooney was far better on defense though.

He needs to be a catch and shoot guy but he's been miscast as a primary ballhandler and it is a disservice to both him and our team

38% shooter from 2 pt range
36% from 3
may have to join stathead to find the number of guys who shoot that low taking 10 shots a game and 6 per game from 3

Historically? Coonman, I would guess. And possibly a Jason Cipolla type.

What about steals?

You cannot compare Girard to Cooney or many others in that Cooney was a supporting player who was capable of going off for a game or a few. The talent was much better. And that's the role Girard (and Buddy honestly) should've have had or should be. He is not talented enough with the ball as a handler or passer, isn't as a driver, and isn't defensively. He has one strength, but that doesn't make him an alpha on the team. The talent is so down JB's trying to make him into what he isn't, and it hasn't worked for 3+ years. And if you want to be honest, it worked for Buddy for about a month his junior year. Supporting cast guys who can be great for a limited time. But not much more than that.

Kev

JG3 desperately needs someone, anyone, to be able to consistently hit 3’s or he will be toast for the last 10 minutes of each game. When he hit his first 3 pointer in the 2nd half last night, he was 4-8 from 3. Then he missed his last 4 attempts, two fairly wide open looks. He was too tired and needed some rest, and that was against Colgate. Wait until the ACC boys are guarding him.

He was a bad defender in high school and a volume shooter who was allowed to take bad shots. I think he takes too much criticism here, but I thought he'd develop more of a facilitator game. He still plays like he's matched up against Gloversville rather than Georgetown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom