Joe Girard. Love him or hate him, he had a pretty good career | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Joe Girard. Love him or hate him, he had a pretty good career

And this post isn’t actually about Joe at all. It’s about the oddity of a record that allows certain high school players (not college) to be recognized for scoring that occurred when other players of equivalent talent and ability did not have the same opportunity.
That’s because Vermont is on metric system like the rest of Canada.

Who are the other two, BTW?
Not sure their names, but earlier in the year the list was 6 deep when it was at 350 threes. Now that he went over 400 the list was cut to 3.

Attachments

• IMG_3219.jpeg
    IMG_3219.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 27
Unfortunately, his job here was to also bring the ball up and play the pg. position which he was average at best at.
Here is the list of the best 3 PT shooters at SU. You have to have shot 40.3% or over to be considered.
I'm beginning with the best shooter at SU ever. There are thirteen over 40%.

Matt Roe - 47.4% - 88-89
Greg Monroe - 43.9% - 86-87
Preston Shumpert - 42.9% - 99-00
Chris Bell - 42.0% - 23-24
Demitrius Nichols - 41.7% - 06-07
Marius Janulis - 41.6% - 95-96
Wesley Johnson - 41.5% - 09-10
Cole Swider - 41.1% - 21-22
Matt Roe - 40.7% - 87-88
Andy Rautins - 40.7% - 09-10
Tyler Lydon - 40.5% - 15-16
Andrew White - 40.3% - 16-17
Joe Girard - 40.3% - 21-22 :)

* orangehoops.org ref.

2 Sweet 16s and 1 Elite 8?
that's misleading, the guy is counting this year as a S16 too. In truth, he had one S16 and one E8, a total of 2 years in the NCAAT

Yeah, they made the Sweet 16 this season. I wouldn’t call it bragging. They’re listing his accomplishments and it’s not in an unusual way. For example, when you see JB’s Sweet 16 appearances referenced, all of them are included, even the years we made the Elite 8 and beyond.
I don't think they count the S16s when teams advance past that, the stats are where you ended the season

I don't think they count the S16s when teams advance past that, the stats are where you ended the season
Of course they count. I can’t believe this is in question.

Here is the list of the best 3 PT shooters at SU. You have to have shot 40.3% or over to be considered.
I'm beginning with the best shooter at SU ever. There are thirteen over 40%.

Matt Roe - 47.4% - 88-89
Greg Monroe - 43.9% - 86-87
Preston Shumpert - 42.9% - 99-00
Chris Bell - 42.0% - 23-24
Demitrius Nichols - 41.7% - 06-07
Marius Janulis - 41.6% - 95-96
Wesley Johnson - 41.5% - 09-10
Cole Swider - 41.1% - 21-22
Matt Roe - 40.7% - 87-88
Andy Rautins - 40.7% - 09-10
Tyler Lydon - 40.5% - 15-16
Andrew White - 40.3% - 16-17
Joe Girard - 40.3% - 21-22 :)

* orangehoops.org ref.
Pretty amazing that Chris Bell finished the year with the 4th highest percentage in school history while some here claim that he only gets hot and makes shots one out of every five game.

Sure seems like a statistical oddity.

Last edited:
Let’s put it another way…did we make the Final Four in 2003?

% wise Girard beat them all outside of Roe.

Part of being a good 3 point shooter is when you make them. I didn't list Gerry because he was a volume shooter, but nobody (other than Andy or Devendorf) made more important shots for us.

Joe had a great career that 99% of basketball players would be jealous of. And I never doubted the effort he gave in a Syracuse uniform. Was rooting for him this tournament and hoping he has a nice professional career, albeit likely overseas.

I wish Joe had been used properly by JB. I also wish Joe had been in as good condition as he was at Clemson, and was more willing to take only good, open shots here like he did at Clemson.
Yeah, this is spot on. JB used Joe in a way that caused many fans to get frustrated and that frustration was often directed at Joe when it should not have been. It's too bad because he was a hell of a player did everything he could to help the team win.

That all said, I'm glad Clemson lost and is out of the tourney.

Yeah, this is spot on. JB used Joe in a way that caused many fans to get frustrated and that frustration was often directed at Joe when it should not have been. It's too bad because he was a hell of a player did everything he could to help the team win.

That all said, I'm glad Clemson lost and is out of the tourney.
No it was more of the close to half court shots that were out of sync with the offense that did that.

Hypothetical...
Let's say GMac gets the Siena job during JG3's Senior year of HS. Does Joe go to Siena to play for a hero of his near his hometown... or does he still go play for JB and his favorite college growing up?

Hypothetical...
Let's say GMac gets the Siena job during JG3's Senior year of HS. Does Joe go to Siena to play for a hero of his near his hometown... or does he still go play for JB and his favorite college growing up?
I can't imagine he would be excited about playing for a mid-major regardless of the coach with several Power 5 opportunities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom