Give me the reasons why you think Dino should stay | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Give me the reasons why you think Dino should stay

Reasons to keep or fire Dino will be revealed during the remainder of this season. I truly believe that his fate is 100% in his control. The remaining games are all very winnable. There isnt a single game we shouldn't win or be in.
Get to 7 wins. Play hard, keep the team together and he stays.
Get blown out in any remaining game, loose a game because of more poor in game Dino decisions, team doesn't play hard he gets fired.
If Dinos Mana is strong he stays. Otherwise its Aloha

He killed their program instead of ours.
Yeah our program has flourished. I’m not advocating for P at any point just saying the final flush for a program is the retro move

I still contend the ACC is a meat grinder for current northeastern schools who aren’t going to pivot into quasi pro teams. Bc and Syracuse aren’t the same organisms as fsu and clemson

Dino may be a bad coach but unless school was all in on financing depth it’s going to
Be rinse and repeat

We are cashing checks from the ACC and that was the Faustian bargain. It was a terrible football decision in terms of competition and peer matchups. Hopefully when we cash our exit fee and other penalty fees from departing teams the remaining carcass of the ACC is more big east and we can look to a schedule w some objective optimism

As presently constituted I watched about 2 quarters of past two games. It was unwatchable. Raking over complaining is where I am. Definitely near acceptance stage of my fandom

Amazing the people in this thread who were high on the program pre-season and are now ready to burn it down. None of those people expected a win through this three game gauntlet that is the most challenging 15 day stretch of conference games that any ACC team will face this year. And we went through it without three of our top four receivers . Yes, it’s been ugly but last I checked there are no style points in football.
We finally made much needed investments in support staff, quality of assistant coaches and facilities. We will likely appear in bowl games in consecutive years for only the second time in the last 24 years. We have a solid recruiting class lined up with a couple of major targets still being pursued. And don’t kid yourself. They see this level of negativity and are influenced by it. We have a new NIL collective headlined by some of the top names in the industry. There is a lot to like about the state of the program right now. We have a young roster with just a handful of major contributors exhausting their eligibility this year. Changing head coaches will not be switching on the lightbulb. It will be a tear down and multiple year rebuild. We will lose much of the current recruiting class. This team loves Dino as a leader and with the transfer portal, the long rumored mass exodus will be realized should he be dismissed. We would be looking at 3-4 years to get back to this level IF we make the right hire and retain him. Ask Virginia how they feel about essentially running off Bronco. And for those here old enough to remember the Greg Robinson and Frank Maloney eras you don’t even have to look that far. Oh, and financially we don’t have much latitude to eat a rumored final year plus buyout.
I said preseason that this would be a pivotal year for Dino. Win 7 or more and he stays. Win 5 or less and it’s time for a change. I’m not the type to alter a considered position based on a knee jerk, emotional response. Let the season play out and if you want to give up on this team, you are giving up on these players mid season. They deserve better.

Do you watch the games. We have receivers who can’t catch a ball of their lives depended on it. We have an oline that couldn’t pass block a high school line. If you think this is recruiting with our piers you aren’t watching the games. We are at the bottom of the acc every year.
That’s not true. I’ve seen our receivers make incredible catches out of bounds.

I said preseason that this would be a pivotal year for Dino. Win 7 or more and he stays. Win 5 or less and it’s time for a change. I’m not the type to alter a considered position based on a knee jerk, emotional response. Let the season play out and if you want to give up on this team, you are giving up on these players mid season. They deserve better.

There's a hard-fought losses where you compete and blowouts where you are a tomato can.

No one wants to see the latter.

It's ok to lose, but how you lose matters.

Let the season play out and JW had/has to be doing research for new HC's. What's John's benchmark? I don't know, his true one not the one he tells the press.

There's a hard-fought losses where you compete and blowouts where you are a tomato can.

No one wants to see the latter.

It's ok to lose, but how you lose matters.
Get that from an emotional perspective but from a logical perspective 0-1 is 0-1. Awful to watch, and agree no one wants to see it, but unless you are a borderline CFP participant it really doesn’t matter at the end of the year.

It's not about the result of the games it's about how we get to that result. We have gotten embarrassed on the national stage three weeks in a row. Similar programs play similar gauntlets without that happening to them.

Our offense hasn't had a pulse in the last four games. It did against Purdue but our quarterback had to run the ball TWENTY FIVE times. That isn't a strategy that's just asking a dude who gets hurt every season to play superhero.

Other teams lose star players and don't look incompetent on offense. Sure, our luck has sucked injury-wise but it's football. Chit happens.

Every home game I look around the dome and get a little sad about the attendance. And that is only going to get worse. You can blame "fans" for not riding the roller coaster but people weren't showing up before we lost to three nationally relevant teams and now there will be even more silver in the dome.

We are recruiting as well as we ever have under Dino and that's good for... 12th in the ACC. Miss me with "recruiting continuity," especially when the guys who make inroads doing that recruiting will be poached when programs with more money see those coaches making those moves at a school like Syracuse.

I wanted Dino to work so, so bad but I don't know how you can watch the last month of football, going back to Army, and have a single positive thing to say about the outlook of this program. The thought of trying to win the game yesterday never even crossed his mind and that is unacceptable, to me.

Dino's teams used to give better teams real fights. He used to take chances. Idk what happened but Dino is not the same Dino and that isn't what any of us signed up for. If we go 4-1 down the stretch and look really, really good doing it my mind could maybe be changed but I just think it is time. Sad and it sucks.

It's not about the result of the games it's about how we get to that result. We have gotten embarrassed on the national stage three weeks in a row. Similar programs play similar gauntlets without that happening to them.

Our offense hasn't had a pulse in the last four games. It did against Purdue but our quarterback had to run the ball TWENTY FIVE times. That isn't a strategy that's just asking a dude who gets hurt every season to play superhero.

Other teams lose star players and don't look incompetent on offense. Sure, our luck has sucked injury-wise but it's football. Chit happens.

Every home game I look around the dome and get a little sad about the attendance. And that is only going to get worse. You can blame "fans" for not riding the roller coaster but people weren't showing up before we lost to three nationally relevant teams and now there will be even more silver in the dome.

We are recruiting as well as we ever have under Dino and that's good for... 12th in the ACC. Miss me with "recruiting continuity," especially when the guys who make inroads doing that recruiting will be poached when programs with more money see those coaches making those moves at a school like Syracuse.

I wanted Dino to work so, so bad but I don't know how you can watch the last month of football, going back to Army, and have a single positive thing to say about the outlook of this program. The thought of trying to win the game yesterday never even crossed his mind and that is unacceptable, to me.

Dino's teams used to give better teams real fights. He used to take chances. Idk what happened but Dino is not the same Dino and that isn't what any of us signed up for. If we go 4-1 down the stretch and look really, really good doing it my mind could maybe be changed but I just think it is time. Sad and it sucks.
This is a great post. I share the same exact thoughts and just can not put them in words as eloquently.

Give me the reasons why you think Dino should stay​

dino's a stand up cat (his word) . and i believe he has the best intentions for the program and the respect of his players. so there's two reasons he should stay. why should he leave ? that's another two paragraphs.

This year kind of reminds me of Coach P's last year. Play well for X amount of games and complete blow out of others.

Yep even with VT playing better lately we need and should win. We lose the wheels just may be off for good

Maybe I’ll gain some confidence in the next week, but nothing I’m seeing from our offense makes me think we win that game.

VT is playing much better. Their last two home games were wins where they clearly outplayed Pitt and Wake, and they’ve always been a good Thursday night crowd. We’ll say Pitt and Wake are bad to convince ourselves, because that’s what we do, but I’m not buying it.

Unless the running Shrader from Purdue (and last trip to Blacksburg) returns I don’t see how we score enough. Our passing game is in shambles.

Maybe I’ll gain some confidence in the next week, but nothing I’m seeing from our offense makes me think we win that game.

VT is playing much better. Their last two home games were wins where they clearly outplayed Pitt and Wake, and they’ve always been a good Thursday night crowd. We’ll say Pitt and Wake are bad to convince ourselves, because that’s what we do, but I’m not buying it.

Unless the running Shrader from Purdue (and last trip to Blacksburg) returns I don’t see how we score enough. Our passing game is in shambles.
Yeah Allen and Shrader on the ground are how we will score, and maybe Villari/Hatcher in the passing game, as VTs defense isn’t close to as good as what we have been facing. Color me skeptical for sure

The reasons to keep Dino pretty much only lie within the positive qualitative aspects of his character. Dino conducts himself cordially and with decency. He represents the university well in that regard running a clean program.

Dino is a good man, indeed a top caliber human being who obviously cares deeply for his players and no doubt wants to win more than anybody.

Dino is easy to root for.

When it comes to actually winning football games at the P5 level, however, Dino has demonstrated he is a loser, especially against P5 competition.

Last edited:
Worth noting that Dino didn’t recruit any of the QBs at Eastern Illinois and Bowling Green that he won with. And of course he didn’t recruit Dungey.

It’s almost a pattern.

People forget, he's never won as a HC with his own players.

I have no idea why people think VPI is a gimme at this point. We beat Purdue with largely a one dimensional offense and them turning the ball over 5 times.

what i'm getting here is general consensus seems to be good character. bad coaching acumen. record proves it.

It seems to be the best reason to keeping him is he’s a “good guy”

Unfortunately that doesn’t win us football games..

He has the final stretch to prove to the AD and the fan base why he should be kept….

Has to win at least 3 of the final 5 for me.

It's sad to see the expectations people have for the program, or what they're willing to accept. I'd like to get to Halloween in a good year, maybe once every 5-7 years, and convince myself while sober that we could win the conference. Maybe once every 12-15 years, pull that off.

In a bad year, I'd like to get to Halloween and be able to count my way to six wins without feeling delusional, and sometimes pull off a bowl trip in a down year.

That basically means being an average to slightly below average power conference program that takes care of business against inferior opponents the vast majority of the time, plays better teams tough and pulls off its fair share of upsets, and gets a magical season once every decade or decade and a half. Something like 60% of teams go to bowls, aspiring to make it more often than not is aspiring to mediocrity. Surely we can at least aspire to being mediocre?

If we don't at least aspire to that, what the hell are we even doing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom