"Go get your Pulitzer somewhere else..." | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

"Go get your Pulitzer somewhere else..."

No need to go that far... no particular order off the top of my head...

Wooden, Phog Allen, Coach K, Bob Knight, Rupp, Dean Smith, Calhoun, Red Auerback, Don Nelson, Jerry Sloan, Phil Jackson, Chuck Daly, Larry Brown and Gregg Popovich. That's 14 - hard to toss any of these 4 out to make room for JB - IMO he is the same crowd with Izzo, Calapri, Billy Donovan & Pitino. Very good maybe even great... but not Legendary.

C'mon. More than half those guys are pro coaches. That's almost a completely different job.

No recruiting. No player turn over ... Auerbach coached a total of 20 guys.

No as that was not Townie's point when he said earlier that JB was one of the top 3 coaches of all time. I assume he meant basketball.

No as that was not Townie's point when he said earlier that JB was one of the top 3 coaches of all time. I assume he meant basketball.
I'm not sure I said "of all time".

Consider where he is against currently active coaches.

But it doesn't matter. The guy is a great coach and SU would be crazy to allow him to leave. Thank goodness he' going o be here for several more years.

One wonders about the posters on here who don't like Boeheim. They don't like the zone. They don't like the Dome.

What is it they do like? The uniform color?

Good grief, Yes.

Exhibit A - 913 wins at the same school in a major conference.
Exhibit B - 35 20-win seasons all done from sunny Syracuse NY
Exhibit C - 3 Final Fours and a National Championship.

Doing this from Syracuse, NY makes even more special. When you walk out the main gate of Georgetown U, you are on M St. in DC. When you walk out of Manley Field House?

Who is on this guy's Top 10 list? Roy Danforth? Bill Rafterry?

Exhibit D - Doing all of the above with far less talent over the years than other "name" coaches like Iba, Wooden, Smith, K, etc...

How hard was it going into a recruits home and trying to get him to come to sub zero Syracuse? I have followed JB for more years than I care to mention but I also remember guys that were "table scrap" recruits that JB molded into winners: Sean Kerins, Dale Shackleford, Marty Burns, Eddie Moss, Marty Headd, Leo Routins, Wendell Alexis, Raf Addison, Howard Triche, Gene Waldron, Rony Seikaly, Lawrence Moten, Otis Hill, Adrian Autry, Laz Sims, Janulis, Reafsnider, Cipolla, Ovcina, Burgan, Hart, Blackwell, Shumpert, Pace, Warrick, etc, etc (to mention a few) Sprinkle in a few McD's AA and only JB could mold all these misfits into winners and go 37 years without a single losing season.

Winning seasons under Jim Boeheim:

I don't know a lot but I can recognize a good thing when I see it and the man will not be appreciated until he is gone.

Exhibit D - Doing all of the above with far less talent over the years than other "name" coaches like Iba, Wooden, Smith, K, etc...

How hard was it going into a recruits home and trying to get him to come to sub zero Syracuse? I have followed JB for more years than I care to mention but I also remember guys that were "table scrap" recruits that JB molded into winners: Sean Kerins, Dale Shackleford, Marty Burns, Eddie Moss, Marty Headd, Leo Routins, Wendell Alexis, Raf Addison, Howard Triche, Gene Waldron, Rony Seikaly, Lawrence Moten, Otis Hill, Adrian Autry, Laz Sims, Janulis, Reafsnider, Cipolla, Ovcina, Burgan, Hart, Blackwell, Shumpert, Pace, Warrick, etc, etc (to mention a few) Sprinkle in a few McD's AA and only JB could mold all these misfits into winners and go 37 years without a single losing season.

Winning seasons under Jim Boeheim:

I don't know a lot but I can recognize a good thing when I see it and the man will not be appreciated until he is gone.

Great post.

When SU was squaring off against Georgetown's Patrick Ewing, we sent out our warrior, Andre Hawkins.

Hows that for a comparison? Patrick Ewing vs. Andre Hawkins

[/quote]

...the man will not be appreciated until he is gone.[/quote]

People said similar things about Woody Hayes, Bobby Knight and others who were great coaches in terms of winning but proved to be very flawed human beings.

In Boeheim's case, he's embarrassing himself with juvenile and arrogant comments and behavior. Arrogance prevents people from seeing their flaws.

Perhaps its time for everyone to be able to appreciate him.

...the man will not be appreciated until he is gone.[/quote]

People said similar things about Woody Hayes, Bobby Knight and others who were great coaches in terms of winning but proved to be very flawed human beings.

In Boeheim's case, he's embarrassing himself with juvenile and arrogant comments and behavior. Arrogance prevents people from seeing their flaws.

Perhaps its time for everyone to be able to appreciate him.[/quote]

What arrogance? He's being questioned by a bunch of nit wits, half of whom are trying to trick him into saying something controversial.

He's earned the right to not have to kow-tow to these nimrods anymore.

As far a I'm concerned this is causing him to grow in stature.

"Without Gerry MacNamara we don't win 1o games" Way to go, Jim. Pour it on.

No need to go that far... no particular order off the top of my head...

Wooden, Phog Allen, Coach K, Bob Knight, Rupp, Dean Smith, Calhoun, Red Auerback, Don Nelson, Jerry Sloan, Phil Jackson, Chuck Daly, Larry Brown and Gregg Popovich. That's 14 - hard to toss any of these 4 out to make room for JB - IMO he is the same crowd with Izzo, Calapri, Billy Donovan & Pitino. Very good maybe even great... but not Legendary.

Wooden had any player he wanted, once he started to win a little he simply chose whatever players from around the country he wanted, UCLA, Beautiful women.. I don't consider him a great basketball mind. Nice guy though even if he did cheat.

Phog Allen? Please do examine his record. Coach K, and Dean Smith both had serious talent to work with and should be embarrassed they didn't actually win more than they did.

Bob Knight Izzo, Calhoun I'll give you but I have questions about them also. Your not serious about Calipari, Donovan and Pitino are you? The others don't apply.

You are nit-picking a great post.

Congratulations, you found a nit

Wow...did I comment positively or negatively on his post? I just though red's name stuck out like a sore thumb.

Go outside and breathe some fresh air. Your post count today is embarrassing.

Great post.

When SU was squaring off against Georgetown's Patrick Ewing, we sent out our warrior, Andre Hawkins.

And Andre sometimes gave Ewing fits.

You didn't ask me but here are ten guys who should be in the argument:

Coach K
Dean Smith
Adolph Rupp
Bobby Knight
Jim Calhoun
Lou Carnesecca
Tom Izzo
Phog Allen
John Wooden
Eddie Sutton

I purposely left out JB. He should be in there but I left him out to illustrate that there is an argument to be made for a lot of guys.
Not Louie or Sutton

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Great post.

JBs greatness Is defined by the lack SU stars In the NBA, not undermined by it. He turned Loren into the All time BE scorer.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

I call BS on that response. This is a college chat board about college teams. Nobody brought the NBA into the discussion.

Wooden had any player he wanted, once he started to win a little he simply chose whatever players from around the country he wanted, UCLA, Beautiful women.. I don't consider him a great basketball mind. Nice guy though even if he did cheat.

Phog Allen? Please do examine his record. Coach K, and Dean Smith both had serious talent to work with and should be embarrassed they didn't actually win more than they did.

Bob Knight Izzo, Calhoun I'll give you but I have questions about them also. Your not serious about Calipari, Donovan and Pitino are you? The others don't apply.

Donovan has 3 NC appearences and 2 NC since taking over at a Football school with no basketball history. That is more impressive - in half the time - than what JB has done as he inherited a program that went to FF the year before he was hired as the HC. Phog Allen - please do examine his coaching tree. Coach K's - nine FF's is 3x more embarrasing than JB's record.

I call BS on that response. This is a college chat board about college teams. Nobody brought the NBA into the discussion.

I call your BS and raise you this quote from post #80... "the guy is one of the top 10 coaches ever".

Donovan has 3 NC appearences and 2 NC since taking over at a Football school with no basketball history. That is more impressive - in half the time - than what JB has done as he inherited a program that went to FF the year before he was hired as the HC. Phog Allen - please do examine his coaching tree. Coach K's - nine FF's is 3x more embarrasing than JB's record.

I think we are debating different subjects. You appear to be convinced NC's are the only criteria needed to judge a coach. I never agreed with that and believe a coach should be judged by how much he accomplished with the talent he had to work with. I don't think Phil Woolpert was a better coach than Jim Boeheim. This is why I would rate Calhoun number one. I'm not impressed as much by K's four titles using 54 McD's as I am by Calhoun's three titles using 10 McD's. Calhoun had an incredible ability to spot and recruit talent.

Agree Donovan will get there in time but he has yet to win one half as many games as JB. Let's hold off on him until he can see JB's butt.

Maybe you could enlighten me about Phog Allen, he had one title and his career winning percentage was .735 to JB's .747 but I'm not that familiar with the days they shot the ball into peach baskets..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom