Golf Rules question | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Golf Rules question

I dunno ...

"These greens are so fast I have to hold my putter over the ball and hit it with the shadow."

~ Sam Snead
He was commenting on what he knew. Watch the films of those guys putting in the 50s and 60s; they all give it quite a whack, even on putts inside 20 feet.

greens are 30-40% faster on avg. balls roll quite a bit better as well, putters have much better weighting.

look at the mowers and how much better the grass is cut, its like carpet now.

He was commenting on what he knew. Watch the films of those guys putting in the 50s and 60s; they all give it quite a whack, even on putts inside 20 feet.

Many of them seem a lot more wristy.

greens are 30-40% faster on avg. balls roll quite a bit better as well, putters have much better weighting.

look at the mowers and how much better the grass is cut, its like carpet now.

Unless you're on poa in the afternoon, when it's like "sculptured shag," :confused:.

One more thing. Have you noticed how buff some of them are anymore? Adam Scott is no Billy Casper or Orville Moody, LOL!
I've noticed that at the Heritage I attend every year. They are all buff! Not only that , they aren't very tall

No kidding. This is Adam Scott, at 6-0, 180. Interestingly enough, Tom Watson is 5-7, and his tee to green game up to even five years ago was as good as anyone's.

kate-hudson-adam-scott-hawaii-07.jpg

Last edited:
Many of them seem a lot more wristy.
Definitely. Watch how some of those putts bounce on their way to the hole in those old films, too.

I remember the greens I played on as a kid in the late 60s being slower and bumpier than most fairways are today.

Definitely. Watch how some of those putts bounce on their way to the hole in those old films, too.

I remember the greens I played on as a kid in the late 60s being slower and bumpier than most fairways are today.

During the final round of the US Open this year, Jack Nicklaus commented wryly that most of the fairways of today are faster than the greens they played on back in his day. :)

Greens can't get faster than 13 on the stimpmeter or they will be unplayable. That is if they don't burn out and die from the stress. Greens have been that fast since the 80s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom